1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Probably any veteran addition. I don't think it was referring to that game, but the initial question.

raining threes likes this.
  2. raining threes

The offense scored 3 points in the playoff loss.

You said that Stroud can make any WR's better and while true, I want them to add a true stud WR that Stroud doesn't have to make better. I love Thomas in the 1st and Pearsall in the 3rd. They're not just guys that Stroud can make better, They're great players in their own right. Want a better offense? Add Barkley and draft Thomas at 1-23, then spend the rest of your resources in the draft and FA on defense. I like Greenard too, but dont see him as a 20 mil APY player.

joshuaao and Shark44 like this.
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The values are fixated on sack stats alone and way too heavily recency biased. Age is also too heavily weighted. At 29 everything is rosy and on their 30th birthday, they are over the hill. Weighting should be a factor, but not THAT big of a factor.

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot went wrong in that game actually, and our offensive line folded like marshmallows. Stroud didn't have a good game, Singletary didn't have a good game, and a lot of that I blame on the offensive line. As for defense, it wasn't great either, but Greenard had 2 more tackles than Maliek Collins, Khalil Davis, and Will Anderson combined. I think people are underestimating his value on defense, especially as our sack leader too. I really think he's worth keeping.

If Barklay can have the best year of his career and go from 3.9 yards per carry to 5.5 or 6 then maybe paying him a lot more than a younger Singletary would be worth the money. I still think Singletary has the potential to go from 4 2 yards per carry to 4.5 or 5 yards per carry with a healthy offensive line.

Like I said before, I'm fine with a WR. I would love to have a better target out there. In fact, I think a high dollar WR or Safety/CB would be great, as well as in draft picks. I want better secondary out there deflecting and intercepting passes. I just have a hunch DeMeco will take defensive guys first. Who knows.

#1024 deb4rockets, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    eliefor3 likes this.
  5. raining threes

Agreed I'm not saying Greenard is a bad player, I just think that he's gonna get overpaid. You're probably right I bet Ryans will want a CB or Edge in rds 1-2. depending on what they want to do with JG.

6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

7. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Sooty, red5rocket, evo8lover and 2 others like this.
  8. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Why cut Pierce tho? 2 years left on a cheap contract... somebody would give you a day 3 pick or a swap for him

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Would be interesting to see this offense with Evans and Barkley. I wouldn’t spend our cap space that way but if the IOL could just become average we’d have the best offense in the league.

11. raining threes

You could draft Thomas.

I think he's going to grow into being the next Mike Evans. 17 TD's last yr.

joshuaao, houstonstime and Sooty like this.
  12. texans1095

texans1095 Member

They feel like very different players coming out of college though. Evans could physically impose his will on CBs. He also ran plenty of crossing and underneath routes. Seems like Thomas runs many more go routes and doesn’t dominate the contested jump balls the same way Evans did at A&M. I’m not at all sold on Thomas, I think he has a lot of work left to do to become a true WR1 or 2.

13. conquistador#11

You have to make sacrifices, can't have those three things.

houstonstime and Fulgore like this.
  14. raining threes

You might want to go back and checkout some of his TD catches. He's great on contested catches. He also ran some crossing routes but not many because that's where Nabers made his money.

I think Nabers/Thomas have a chance to be like Chase/Jefferson. You dont score 17 TD's without being a very talented WR.

red5rocket likes this.
  15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Come play LG

Rudyc281 and red5rocket like this.
  16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Don't want Evans. I'd be OK getting a RB, but OL would be one area I would spend on...

17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Looks like the Cowgirls will be picking up a LT in the 1st. Good. Push some WR or DL down for us to grab.

18. Buck Turgidson

Dallas drafts 1 pick behind Houston in the 1st

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Threaten to take OT to cover Tunsil and Howard if they don't trade up with us.
    23 and 59 for 24, 56 and 173.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member