1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

To everyone wanting to just draft a RB, who? Do you really like any of them that much? And you are willing to have a rookie RB for ANOTHER year of CJ’s rookie deal???

To everyone that wants to spend on OL instead of RB because “that’s the real reason”-
    Explain to me why Singletary was so much better than Pierce without ruining your argument.

Because if you mention anything about Singletary being better than Pierce, then why wouldn’t getting someone better than Singletary go the same direction? And if it’s because Singletary is a better fit for scheme, then…. Same thing. Not to mention the Line had to learn a new scheme too.

raining threes, cbass and Fyreball like this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

3. Qan

Qan Member

I guess he can't technically communicate with the Texans until FA starts...or when legal tampering happens

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-free-agency-matchmaking-one-team-fit-for-15-notable-free-agents

Chris Jones · DT · Age: 30

Houston Texans

After rightfully holding out over a lack of a contract extension (and eventually agreeing to a one-year deal), Jones is going to get a ton of money this offseason. And though Chiefs GM Brett Veach recently said re-signing Jones is “at the top of the list,” it likely won’t be that simple. We’re talking north of $25 million for Jones, which is roughly $10 million more than the Chiefs have in available cap space. Turning 30 in July, the time is now for Jones to cash in with a contender, and I can’t think of a better fit than Houston, where the Texans will operate with the luxury of cap space afforded by C.J. Stroud’s rookie deal. Much of Houston’s offense is intact entering 2024, save for some room for improvement at running back and tight end (could Dalton Schultz return?), so if the Texans are going to spend some of the $67 million available, why not bolster a group that already did well with Maliek Collins and pending free agent Sheldon Rankins up front? Jones is a monster who played a direct role in delivering the Chiefs another title and could have a similar impact for DeMeco Ryans’ defense in Houston. Let’s make this dream a reality.

5. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Whether we land Barkley or not, I'm just happy we are a destination team for top free agents. You think this ever woulda happened with that dips**** Bill O'Brien running the show?

6. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

I’ve seen some scary Texans fans talking about we shouldn’t pay a RB

couple of d's and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Interesting he picked the oilers over the Texans last season.

jch1911 and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What is a "high" dead-cap amount?? $12M or thereabouts certainly doesn't hurt the cap space across a long period of time, and it certainly wouldn't impact our ability to go add talent elsewhere on the roster. And why would you take this approach when you literally just watched your rushing attack finish in the bottom third of the league, and damn near dead last on 3rd down runs?? It's the one area where you can invest a reasonable amount, and improve exponentially. People keep talking about not allocating money towards the RB position, and ignoring the fact that we have CJ, Nico, and Tank all still on minimal deals going into the next season. Now is the EXACT time to bring in a difference-maker at the one position you can get someone of Barkley/Jacobs/Henry caliber, and not have it impact you when those guys are all in line to get paid.

Rudyc281 and houstonstime like this.
  10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The OL was changing constantly while Pierce was getting the bulk of the carries, not to mention forcing the issue so there was no deception on the run/pass reads. By the rime SIngletary was getting the bulk of carries, there was some adaptation to the OL who was in playing together and Slowik began mixing run and pass. That's not all, but at least some of the explanation.

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

So then shouldn’t the OLine and Slowik be getting better and better as time goes on? Or have they reached their peak? It just doesn’t make sense that “the OLine needed time to adjust” Can be blamed for Pierce, but now it’s the reason the run game sucks and no new RB will help that.

Also, if OLine adaptation is the reason we went from 2.9 ypc to 4.2 ypc and not the change in RB, then man, I can’t wait to see what a full off-season of our starters adapting can do.
    But if Pierce -> Singletary is that big of a leap, I can’t understand why getting someone even better than Singletary wouldnt be an even bigger leap.

A full off-season of “adaptation” by our OLine and upgrading from Singletary to Saquon would be such a massive impact I can’t fathom how ppl don’t see that and only think adding more OLine will fix that. Especially drafted rookies.

And if we go through FA, please tell me which OL upgrade we can get in FA that would make a bigger impact than Singletary->Barkley. Asking honestly.

Fyreball likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Qan

Qan Member

Texans shouldn't even look at him.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This would be a very good skill group but the run blocking must improve for the offense to go next level.

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Here we go again…
    Pierce sucked - it’s the lines fault
    Singletary did way better - the line got better RB doesn’t matter
    Bring in a RB way better? - doesn’t matter line sucks.

give them a chance to learn a new scheme and all get healthy in their first full offseason.

also, please tell me who in the draft and/or FA you would like to add on the line that you think makes a bigger impact than going from Singletary to Saquon.

raining threes likes this.
  17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't have any players in mind to add to the o-line, just saying that paying Saquon without better run blocking is foolhardy.

18. conquistador#11

Should have been a Texan last season.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Fair.
    My thing is. For this one off-season, it really doesn’t matter. No contract we dish out is going to be relevant by the time we need to pay the important guys. We have money and all our picks. Rather than the safe move of drafting or getting a lesser vet and wasting a whole year of rookie-deal cj, why don’t we spend on a RB like Saquon? It’s a small risk, MASSIVE reward, is my thing. If he sucks, he’s gone in 2 years and we can spend again… but… if he doesn’t… if somehow we unleash prime Saquon, the line won’t matter, it did good enough for singletary, it will be insane.

Singletary 2023
    4.2 y/rush
    4.4 y/touch

Saquon
    3.9 y/rush
    4.4 y/touch

Saquon had a WORSE OLine than the Texans, literally ranked while being the ONLY person the defense had to worry about.. he’s already better as a receiver, I imagine he’s gonna blow singletary numbers out of the water with what the Texans have.

#979 houstonstime, Feb 29, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    UTSA2step and Fyreball like this.
  20. raining threes

With health the run blocking will be better.