1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this, his exact words were "we will invest heavily" in the defensive front

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

All your RBs are free!

Little Bit and red5rocket like this.
  3. Landry's Tooth

I think Will Anderson will be better. A better secondary gives the front 7 more time.

ILB in 2nd or 3rd round tend to be more reliable than DT.

The only clear upgrades at DT or DE will cost you the same as 2 or 3 free agents.

I tend to believe they would rather not over pay the guys out of Baltimore or KC if they even get out of their own buildings.

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think a lot of teams don't want to invest the money into a RB after their rookie year contract, for any 2 or 3 year contract those guys might want. 72% of the rushing leaders in the NFL were 26 or younger, and It's always a gamble either way. Some get lucky in the draft with a cheap player who does good for 4 years. Fresh tires verse retreads. Running backs endure a lot of wear and tear when they are used a lot, and you never really know when their physical disability issues and decline might start. I'd rather draft running backs, but that's just me. I'd rather spend the extra money on a defensive stud.

J.R. likes this.
  5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yes to Barkley, the rest is too much. Maybe a late round flyer on a raw back with some speed, but after saquon, put the rest of FA on defense, draft DB and WR and BPA for the rest.

Money on Barkley, money on Singletary, and a 2nd round pick on a rookie is waaaay too much on one position.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

If they get Barkley I’m sure Singletary is gone

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I agree, I was just commenting on that poster’s list of:
    Barkley
    Singletary
    AND drafting Brooks.

Buck Turgidson, Fulgore and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Texans Predicted to Sign Chiefs Superstar Free Agent Chris Jones

Pro Football Network projects Kansas City Chiefs star Chris Jones to sign with the Houston Texans in Free Agency.

KC enters the offseason with $28.3 million in cap space but with the fewest players under contract of any team in the NFL. With a franchise tag for Jones estimated at about $32 million – a record for a non-QB – franchising Jones would decimate the payroll with a lot of open roster spots out there.

Chris Jones 2024 Team Odds

Kansas City Chiefs +250
    Houston Texans +400

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/chris-jones-to-houston-texans-nfl-free-agency
    https://bookies.com/nfl/picks/chris-jones-next-team-odds#:~:text=KC enters the offseason with,open roster spots out there.

Our defense would be scary good!

mikol13 and everyday eddie like this.
  9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

1. You weaken your competition while strengthening your own team.
    2. Demeco might just pound the table and demand Jones. We all heard the invest in the Dline remarks.
    3. Jones will make WAJ an all Pro. WAJ was going to be a beast regardless but with QBs not able to step up will mean sacks galore.
    4. You’ll need a lot less investment in the secondary if you generate pressure up front.

deb4rockets likes this.
  10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm telling you there is nothing more Id like than to see our team sack the hell out of the quarterbacks in our division. We'd have the potential to have the best defense this town has ever seen with Jones, Greenard, and Anderson coming at those quarterbacks. Full steam ahead, like a freight train.

mikol13 and everyday eddie like this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

To me, signing Jones and Greenard should be top priority.

Adding Jones to Greenard and Will Anderson, as well as the other depth we have, would be killer.

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That's what I was just saying too. Can you imagine the triple threat of Greenard, Anderson, and Jones on a QB? Sack attack baby! Can you imagine how cool it would be to have the best defense we've ever had with the best QB we've ever had? It would be awesome!!!

raining threes likes this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Texans are not spending $30 million a season on a DT.

14. raining threes

Or Bye Bye Greenard, but hello Wilkins and Barkley as well as Keeping Schultz.

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

This!

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’m out in Chris Jones he’s got his rings
    He’s gotten paid
    Looking for one last pay day

If we do sign him what’s his motivation??
    Is he still going to be hungry?? Whats going to keep him going??

17. raining threes

I bet they would spend 20 APY over 5 yrs that you can get out of over 4 for Wilkins.

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I would rather jones, Barnett, and Barkley. I just think there is a chance he impacts this team in a way we could never have imagined.

I know you don’t overpay for running backs, but this year only, we are in a unique position to make that mistake and get out of it just fine. The reward is so much greater than the risk. IMO.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I’m surprised there’s no talk about Al Shaair coming to Texans. I think Demeco went after him last offseason

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I mentioned him in one small wishful post. I would rather him at his price rather than Queen at his.

Fulgore and raining threes like this.