1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. raining threes

Borrowing from a guy who you consider to be a cornerstone of your franchise (Tunsil) isn't accumulating debt because you want him to be a long time fixture of your franchise to begin with. Put this together with the 7 year window you have to win a championship, (Stroud's rookie deal plus a couple of years) then you would be foolish to not try to win as many championships as possible.

This isn't like dealing with you're personal finances.

FLASH21 likes this.
  2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

OK then I'll play like there's no tomorrow.

Add FAs:

RB Saquan Barkley $9.9M
    TE Dalton Schultz $11.3M
    DT Justin Madabuike $20.3M
    ED/DE Michael Danna $16.7M
    ILB Patrick Queen $18.5M

Brings us to $252.9M

Remaining Need to address in Draft:

CB
    OLB
    S
    K
    P

Maybe we can squeeze $10M of Tunsil's contract into the future and sign Fairbairn and Johnson to solve special teams.

Perhaps a couple of more to get Xavier Howard?

#782 Marshall Bryant, Feb 24, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    houstonstime likes this.
  3. raining threes

I'm ok with spend top dollar on a top tier FA DT even if this means letting Greenard go. If letting Greenard go happens, Caserio should re-sign Barnett and draft a young Edge in rd 1 or 2. It would really help if we knew what the status of Horton is. He's got real talent and last year was supposed to be his developmental year. But unfortunately we know how last year turned out for him. Hopefully he's able to play at the level his talent says he should be playing at.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's exactly like dealing with your personal finances.

5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

No way I would pay Schultz that much. He was not great last year and had crucial drops in the playoffs. I think he's easily replaceable. .

Newlin, Sooty, deb4rockets and 4 others like this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

7. conquistador#11

Not to Calsplain' but it took me some extra clicking to figure it out.
    I was like why is this important. Did Paul Wall get a position in the F/O? He is always offering people his grillz.
    Barkley liked and reposted Paul Wall for those wondering.

Rudyc281, UTSA2step and Fulgore like this.
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

So you want Breven Jordan as you primary TE. The is none better in FA than Schultz, so to improve you need a trade or a well selected draft pick. I honestly don't see a better solution than Schultz available at this time.

But thanks for the comment. You're only upset with re-signing our own FA. Grass is greener?

9. raining threes

Nope

You've got a limited window to win a championship.

Spend what's needed during that 7 yr window, then rebuild.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Following up with a simulated draft to shore up the weaknesses and trading down fro extra draft picks in rounds 2, 3 and 4 and a 1st round from SEA in 2025.

53. Trey Benson RB

59. Cedrick Gray LB

63. Jeremiah Trotter, Jr LB

76. Devontez Walker WR

86. Kalen King CB

99. Jaden Hicks S

124. Thomas Harper S

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Soon

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I get what you’re saying, but what future draft capital did we really give up? We still have all the picks this year and next year. I understand the angle you are coming from, but if you don’t think this is THE year of all years to go all out more than you ever have before, I don’t know when it will ever be. Too many stars aligning for this off-season.

and if your style is to never go all out more than you have before, well then we just won’t agree on this portion of the board, but I’m sure we do elsewhere

red5rocket and raining threes like this.
  14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

HAHAHAH sign me up! Cooper Dejean at 23 helps with CB/S especially if you also sign Howard (hahaha) that just leaves OLB…. Cashman? Or while we’re talking insane off-season and every dollar, cut woods and restructure T.Howard and get Al-Shaair !!!

15. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Anyone else watched tape on Krys Barnes LB from the Cardinals? Out of contract but looks like he just knows how to play.

16. conquistador#11

We got that Cardinals connection so you never know.

raining threes likes this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I just think there is the reality that this is the year we have to pay the piper for all the one year contracts. I want to use every drop of cap we can to get ahold of to sign multiple difference makers, realizing that we will have to fill the rest of the holes with draft picks. Outside of Bowers I don’t see anybody in this draft worth trading up for given that over half of last year’s roster are FA’s. Lets say bowers is available at 10. How much draft capital would you have to move up to get him and is it worth it to rely on a rookie to be your only viable te and not being able to fill one of the cb holes.
    It’s just an example of the give and takes we are going to have to decide on. NFL is a hard cap league you can’t go all in like you can in MLB or NBA. I suspect most of our FA money is going to a high profile DT, Greenard, and Schultz. The rest of the money will go to the likes of Singletary, Fairborn, Cashman, etc. 1st round pick will be cb or wr, depending on what is left at those positions in the second round. I guess we could do some trading up by sacrificing future draft picks.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Dear Nick Caserio,

Do not sign Saquon Barkley unless it is a team-friendly deal you can escape from after one year.

#798 A_3PO, Feb 25, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  19. Qan

Qan Member

Just don't overpay for Saquon if Texans do look at him.

20. raining threes

I love Bowers and would trade future picks to trade up to the 13-14 range because I think he's a great player and I wouldn't want to have to have to face him twice a year when the Texans play the Colts.

I think Greenard is gone because some team is going to offer him close to 20 mil APY. Truthfully I would rather Caserio sign Wilkins for that kind of money and re-sign Barnett as well as draft an edge. It would help to know what Horton's status is. Horton is very talented, but what do they really have in Horton.

I'm hoping the extra 10 mil in cap space will allow Caserio to bring back Cashman and Fairbarin.

everyday eddie, FLASH21 and A_3PO like this.