1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Kamara ?

red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Fantasma Negro

Yes please!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No thanks. I'd rather sign Singletary. He averaged 4.2 yards per carry, which is better than Kamara. I think he will be even better this year if our offensive line isn't as injury ridden as last year.

Kamara's average yards per carry
    2021 3.7
    2022 4.0
    2023 3.9

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I would literally take any of them. Except Mike Williams would need to be cheaper than that with the injuries.

red5rocket, Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Singletary is not better then kamara stop RB is a position we “MUST” upgrade if we go into the season with motor as the starter we’ve failed the off-season and CJ by not giving him a better running game.

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

7. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Henry please!!!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't know by looking at Kamara's yards per carry. I do know Singletary played under a broken and battered rotating offensive line, so if they actually can stay healthy he would probably do better. I just hope our highest dollar offensive linemen can actually stay healthy for a season. I'm all for adding better depth in that rotation, as well as RB. I believe Singletary is worth keeping, even if he ends up being a backup. Pierce is worthless.

10. tallanvor

Id rather grab a wr in 2nd or 3rd round, but if not than obj sounds good for wr3

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Derrick Henry tackled for a loss of 5!
    Saquon gets back to the line of scrimmage for no gain!
    ;)

https://stathead.com/tiny/x4uHA
    https://stathead.com/tiny/t9mXk

Why do so many want to invest big money at RB?

Yeah, there’s good RBs available but why are said teams letting them walk? (Maybe because it’s the easiest position to fill or plug n play)

Saquon
    Henry
    Jacobs
    Ekeler
    Pollard
    Swift
    Dillon
    Hunt

Do we need a better RB or better blocking or both?

#651 J.R., Feb 19, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Both. Hopefully, the blocking will improve with a healthy line and depth. Add a proven back and a rookie.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

King Henry scores his 3rd TD of the game
    Saquan Barkley is over 200 total yards for the game

Please don’t tell me you want to go into the season with motor as RB1 or some mid round rookie

htownrox1 and red5rocket like this.
  14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but My understanding is there is one player who can be franchised tagged in one of two ways on each team. Those two ways are
    BOTH. But stability could make what we already have better. A running game involves more than just adding a RB, even a great one like Earl. He had Tim Smith and a solid OL.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

In general, I prefer the hungry player coming out of a bad situation to the fat hog coming out of a good situation who is greedy. I'd also like to skip the step where we pay players for past performance with other teams which puts us in a position of going back into a mode of shifting costs into the future. I'd rather keep our "window" open longer by being smart now. We will already be facing the need to shift cost to the future when Stingley, CJ and Anderson hit their FA years.

Rudyc281 and jch1911 like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

I am not looking to invest big dollars at RB.
    Easy to fill/replace
    Volatile - good one year, falls off the next. (Yes, you could say that for many positions)

Hell a year ago, you had people saying “We need to save Dameon Pierce for when we’re good and don’t wear him out.”

Dameon Pierce is now fighting to save his job.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...g-backs-devalued-next-2023-free-agency-future

From my perspective, the running back value conversation dates back to McVay's old boss and one of the league's best offenses. Mike Shanahan's Denver teams produced huge numbers with a series of unheralded rookies, undrafted free agents and journeymen rotating through at running back. The most famous and successful back of the bunch, Hall of Famer Terrell Davis, was a sixth-round pick in 1995.

Other backs weren't able to fully reproduce Davis' incredible numbers after he went down injured, but Olandis Gary (1999), Mike Anderson (2000) and Reuben Droughns (2004) all had big seasons with anonymous pedigrees and modest deals. Clinton Portis, a second-round pick in 2002, played well enough to inspire a swap for Hall of Fame cornerback Champ Bailey, with the Broncos even getting an extra pick in the process.

Shanahan eventually left Denver after the 2008 season, but it only created more opportunities for unknown backs elsewhere. When his son, Kyle, took over as the offensive coordinator in Houston in 2008, the Texans immediately got solid production out of rookie third-round pick Steve Slaton. Two years later, the offense thrived when undrafted free agent Arian Foster made the job his own and became arguably the league's best back between 2010 and 2013. By then, the Shanahan family had moved on to Washington and begun to coax three straight 1,000-yard seasons out of sixth-round pick Alfred Morris.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-analyzing-state-of-the-nfl-running-back-market

Since 2011, 19 running backs signed a second contract for at least $7 million per year. Here is how they performed in aggregate across various key metrics over their first five seasons against their next five seasons:

[​IMG]

The disparities aren’t exactly drastic in many categories, but the first five years are superior to the second five years across the board. From a volume standpoint, the average player over the first five seasons had 1,000 rushing attempts as compared to just 479 over the next five years, so efficiency is lower in every metric despite a sharp decrease in volume as well.

17. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

18. tallanvor

19. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I might be wrong but I suspect most pro athletes follow other professional athletes.

Marshall Bryant and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

And you also usually see this before a free agent joins a team.

red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.