1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agency 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da Wink, Jun 29, 2024 at 4:52 PM.

1. StoneBall

StoneBall Member

2. Rokman

Rokman Member

I'm cool with Jalen Smith but the question then becomes who's minutes does he eat up because you have Jabari Smith Jr. and Tari Eason at the 4 then Alperen Sengun, Steven Adams and Jock Landale at the 5. I mean if he's better than any of those guys, cool, play him, but I don't see that. There's not enough minutes to squeeze in another rotation player who deserves time, it's just not right to do.

saleem likes this.
  3. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I think he's insurance for Tari AND Adams. Plus if you can lock him in for 4 years @ ~$12.5M per = that's a huge win for when the other players are looking for their pay days. Analytics says he is was undervalued by Pacers and I think he has something to prove.

If you can find him 18 mins per game, I think he's good. Plus you're doubling his salary.

I would put him on par with Tari & slightly behind Bari. Not sure about Adams & over Landale (behind Sengun). I like having insurance, plus he puts pressure on those other players to perform. He fits with the team "time line" as well.

I envision a 10 man rotation of:
    FVV - Shepp
    Thriila - Amen
    Isaac (bye Brooks) - Cam
    Bari - Tari
    Sengawd - Jalen Smith / Adams (not sure after his injury, but fingers crossed)

Rokman likes this.
  4. Bob

Bob Member

I wouldn't be looking to spend much this off-season.
    Maybe go after a 3pt shooting big for little money.
    Like Dario Saric. He signed with GSW for $2 M last year.

5. Rokman

Rokman Member

I would think they wouldn't want much money tied up long term on anyone until they can lock up who they want from the Core 7.

6. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

7. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Yall wanna overpay for an old ass Paul George but wanna cut bait with a potential 25 ppg player that may or may not finally see the light ..lol I'd rather wait and see what scorer gonna become available next summer if Jalen doesn't pan out..

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Unless we receive a trade proposal that just cant be ignored, I am good with who we got for now. Maybe come the turn of the year, a clear need or change will become obvious and we can address that when an opportunity presents itself. I just don't see a FA that is likely available that I am thrilled about and/or feel good about giving up the store for.

10. Garner

Garner Member

I don't hate this idea depending on the picks coming back. The challenge w Dlo is getting to his capfigure. You're probably looking at something like:

2 of Jeff Green, Steven Adams and Jae'san Tate for Dlo + PIcks. All three of those guys are in the last year of their deal as it is and are unlikely to be in long term plans.

I also wouldn't mind seeing what Ime could do with James Wiseman, as a third big man sitting in the last chair on the bench.

11. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I’m excited about the collection of young talent we have. I want to see see them play and improve together. With seven (or eight, if you include Griffin) blue chips, you know some of them are going to get a lot better. It’ll be fun to see. So I’m not very interested in big trades or free agent signings right now. The grass is green enough on this side of the fence, for now.

javal_lon and jim1961 like this.
  12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

All I want is a young promising big (kinda similar to Clint Capela when Morey had him come off the bench) that we can develop and take minutes off Sengun instead of relying on old man Adams (plus he's on his last year). Jock is okay if he can keep up his post all-star break play but some insurance would be nice.

13. NewAge

NewAge Member

Wait and see. There’s always good value to be found when the money dries up and some quality FAs are left out.
    One possible example is Tobias Harris. Terrible last playoffs hurt his stock a lot, and I don’t hear his name at all. He’d be a steal at MLE, if he can’t find a deal. still a quality player

don grahamleone and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. JohnWoo713

JohnWoo713 Member

I’d go after young players to fill in the 14/15th spot assuming a Tate and landale move. Killian Hayes, Vukcevic or Wiseman.

FVV/Amen/Hayes
    Green/Reed/Holiday?
    Brooks/Cam/AJ
    Bari/Eason/Green
    Sengun/Adams/Wiseman or Vuk

Hayes & Wisemsn or Vuk can easily develop under Ime and with the core 8 as Wiseman & Hayes have size at their positions & Vuk’s shooting ability and length is a plus for this team.

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

A big that can play 4/5 that can stretch the floor or catch lobs

jch1911 likes this.
  16. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Dante not promising enough?

TEXNIFICENT and DreamQuake like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ime is not here as developmental coach, in fact he would rather have Tatum and Brown right now.

18. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Wouldn't we all!?!

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I always thought this dude was pretty good :

Nook and don grahamleone like this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He looked incredible in summer league last yr.

don grahamleone likes this.