1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fred Vanvleet is the Rockets’ franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Aug 2, 2023.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would likely go with the guy that was drafted 4th that the Rocket's coach referred to as a "true point guard" Amen Thompson. But that's just me sir.

BaselineFade likes this.
  2. CXbby

CXbby Member

I have Amen starting too, he pairs great with Fvv.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

FVV, Amen, Tari, Bari, Alpi

JG 6th man

4. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Why would one of the smartest front offices in sports let a "franchise player" just walk with zero return? Toronto is in a different world when it comes to the minds in their FO. You want to be the team that drafts the FVVs and Dillon Brooks of the world, not the ones who "back the brinks truck up" for the chandler parsons and ITs of the NBA. You don't let a 29 YO franchise player walk without a peep. There is not one example where a guy his age walks as a free agent with zero return and is a franchise player on his new team.

DaDakota likes this.
  5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Meh, toronto has been completely aimless and stupid for several years now. If it wasn't for the spurs being a completely clown show and giving them kawhi for less the nothing just to spite the lakers, the raps would be one of the biggest running jokes in the league

6. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

The other comp in the OP was Lillard, Pat Riley has been after Lillard as well, and I would say Pat is another top basketball mind. If Miami was looking for someone to put them over the top, then FVV would have been on their radar, if he is truly a comp to those guys and significantly younger than Dame at that. The top front offices wanted nothing to do with FVV. If there was any interest in FVV, I am sure he would have preferred to go to Miami.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We really need some “X-Factor” threads again. These “Franchise Player” threads are getting boring.

and if you think about it, once a player gets a “Franchise Player” thread, he’ll never get an “X-Factor” one, which is not how you win a championship. We need X-Factor threads.

Easy likes this.
  8. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Who are the top front offices? Miami had no way to get him, doesn't matter if they wanted him or not and since dame wants to go there obviously they're gonna wait for that, since they will get him for a very cheap price

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not until I see a Matthew Mayer franchise player thread.

But seriously, replacing DMo as the X-Factor is in blasphemous territory nobody wants to enter. It's like calling someone not named Hakeem the best Rocket ever.

heypartner likes this.
  10. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Have we forgotten that rookies suck? We have 4 young players that we all love now but sucked as rookies. They were good like once a week. I love Amen and think he has the most potential but it'll be a while before he's actually a contributor.

11. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

SAS, OKC, TOR, BOS.

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

spurs and raps have been 2 of the worst run franchises for several years, okc and bos i can get behind

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

You are taking the franchise tag too literally, I have explained in posts in this thread what I mean by it. Toronto wanted desperately to bring Fvv back, and in fact was still in the running at the 11th hour of FA. No he is not a player you build around, which I’ve said, but he is solidly an allstar contributor which on this team is as close to a franchise player as we have. As for why Toronto didn’t bring him back, just look at their finances, they are paying big money to multiple players, have Barnes extension coming up, and if already the 9th highest paid team even before Fvv’s $40m all while not even making the playoffs. Toronto needed a complete reset.

14. conquistador#11

For the trillion dollars they gave him, he better be.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Where in the OP did I compare Fvv to Lillard? I just listed most of the noteable point guards as a point of reference for the stats, not that they were all comparable. Fvv is a +5.0 on RAPTOR while Lillard is a +7.8, Lillard is significantly better.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I hope he is not a 2 year rental.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hear you all.

Z factors coming up once actual games are being played, maybe in an eternity.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

There seems to be a disconnect where some people are saying "lol how can Fred possibly be a franchise player" and CXbby basically just meant he's our best player because nobody else has proven themselves to a really good player yet.

I don't think anybody is saying he's the Rockets' next championship-winning superstar. But until one of the young guys breaks out and at least makes an all-star game, he's The Guy, as much as we have one at all.

CXbby likes this.
  19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not agreeing here. X-Factor, like Franchise Player, can be on any team, it’s not insulting to the memory of D-Mo.

Maybe we need a poll: with this many Franchise Players, who’s our X-Factor(s)?

Easy likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Van Vleet is lot of things, was the Toronto mascot and Drake 2.0.