1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fred Vanvleet is the Rockets’ franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Aug 2, 2023.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is like OKC saying that CP3 is their franchise player for a one year rental.

The franchise player or who is expected to make the leap are one of our young guys.

People expect a 19 year old Lebron anytime here when they say "franchise player".

News flash, a lot of franchise players don't become franchise players in terms of impact until their mid 20s. Deal with it.

DaDakota likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Phase 4 rebuild is just around the corner.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think the LEBRON and RAPTOR numbers are impacted by whom you have to play with. If you share the court most of the time with Daishen Nix, KPJ, Garrison Mathews...well.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was Kevin Martin our "franchise player' back when?

I would say FVV reaches that threshold.

Hippieloser and BallSoHarden like this.
  5. fchowd0311

The team also didn't have a plethora of high end potential during that era.

Also I would say FVV is a more impactful player than Kevin Martin's peak. FVV was a starting pg of a championship team. He's a floor general type player who impacts an offense more than just making shots.

don grahamleone, Easy and xaos like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Do not forget Chapters, we would hit 40-50.

Easy likes this.
  7. kpdark

kpdark Member

Fred might get traded soon, if Amen breaks out early..

:D

8. fchowd0311

The dream scenario is that our young guys show so much growth by just being out of a Silas run system that by the end of the season our starting line up is Sengun, Jabari, Tari, Green, Amen.

If that's the stetting line up by the end of the season because of pure meritocracy of producing the most wins, then we got our core permanently set.

I just find it hard to believe Amen at 20 and a rookie will somehow match or exceed the impact of a veteran pg NBA champ still in his prime.

kpdark likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Not sure why CX is so in love with FVV, I guess we all have our favorites.

FVV is a solid NBA borderline all star player - a nice player, but far far far from Franchise level - he is also NOT a PG, he is a combo guard, who can play the point.

He is much more efficient shooting from an off ball position.....but let's not let the facts get in the way of a good love in!

DD

10. fchowd0311

I don't think you understand how little experience this team had at a pg who understands how to run a offense and when I mean "run" I mean directing players to be in the right spots, dictating pace, understanding whom to feed etc. This team has none of that last season.

FVV won a NBA championship as a high usage starting pg. He knows what he's doing out there so so so much more than anyone on this team.

Hey I'll even say KPJ is a more naturally gifted player than FVV. It doesn't matter in running offense.

xaos likes this.
  11. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

no FVV was the backup to a starting pg of a championship team

12. fchowd0311

@DaDakota , think of it this way.

FVV will dribble the ball less and have lower time of possession with the ball than last year's version of KPJ.

His precense on the court is more than just him literally dribbling the ball and playamking for others. He's a head coach on the court player for this team basically.

xaos likes this.
  13. kpdark

kpdark Member

yeah, truth is we do need FVV for a season and a half at the least

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

Actually it’s the opposite, LEBRON and RAPTOR handicaps you for who you play with and who you play against during your minutes. So if you play with trash teammates and play against the opposing team’s best lineups, even if your boxscore +/- is bad these two metrics will factor that in and will be positive if you are a good player.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sort of. Chris Paul was already 34 that season so clearly he was not part of that team’s long term plans. Still, he was indeed their best player at +3.6 RAPTOR vs +1.1 for SGA.

FVV is 29 years old and a +5.0, by the time his contract is over he will be 31. It will be 6 years from now until he is Cp3’s age when he was the best player on the 2019-20 Thunder. Fvv can absolutely be part of the team’s future.

Today, SGA has developed into an actual franchise player at +5.2 RAPTOR, a similar impact on the game as FVV. We can only hope that one or more of our young guys will follow this path and also get to that +5 level within the next 6 years. I am not saying FVV is our franchise player in the sense that we have to build around him, the great part is that his game fits in perfectly with other great players since he is such a good off the ball player and defender.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

People who think Fvv will be a stop gap are in for a rude awakening. When you sign a player of this caliber you lock him up on an extension as soon as it’s available. When Amen is ready to take over he will start at SF.

fvv/Jalen/Amen/jabari/Sengun

is the long term lineup assuming the young guys are who we hope they are.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

It's a very short vid.... lol (edit actually it looks like it's just one game)

Easy and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

now i disagree with this completely. the only way FVV sticks around is if the team does better than expected and wants to stay and ride the wave making less money and playing off the bench.

Easy likes this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

There was no directing to do last year, people fail to see that there was no Silas system.

You want to bet? The only way he gets locked in on an extension is as a backup to Amen in 2 years, and for much less money - he would have to take a massive pay cut.......he bet on himself, took the money, knowing that, pretty smart - but he won't be here in 3 years......more than likely.

And when Amen is starting they won't need an Oompa Loompa at SG.

DD

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

I don’t think he will be bench player level until after 34. Who would you start over him in 3 years?