1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fred VanVleet goes down with an abductor strain (I.D.I.O.T.)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Feb 5, 2024.

1. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I'm excited for this too. Pace should go to another level. Should be fun to watch

rockets1995 likes this.
  2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm all for giving up 1, maaaybe 2 firsts, but they can't be juicy.

BaselineFade likes this.
  3. a time to chill

Y’all are out y’all’s rabid ass minds if you think FVV’s injury is a blessing in disguise and that Amen will keep this team’s playoff hopes alive. I just ask one thing. Please don’t turn on Amen when y’all end up being disappointed.

Hive5, TriumVirate, Patience and 13 others like this.
  4. invocux

invocux Member

If we are serious about making the play-in we need to bring in someone. We are going lose with Amen at 1. It's not a knock on him he's just too raw to be a starter. Not only he's not ready to be a starter, with Amen on the floor we have only two shooters now, Brooks and Jabari. Green, Sengun and T*te are bad 3pt shooters. You can't win an NBA game with just 2 good three point shooters. Ime knows that Amen's raw. He doesn't play him a lot even when he looks good when he is on because he can't shoot. He doesn't trust him and i understand him. We need someone like DJ Augustin.

#84 invocux, Feb 5, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
  5. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Clint Capela got abductored too!! :eek::eek::eek:

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

Competing priorities. Develop vs trying to make the play-in.

This is the same dilemma Blazers have. Billups benched, started, benched, started, then bench Henderson again. When injury happens, Henderson is called up, when the person comes back or to save some of Henderson's confidence, he's placed back to the bench to get more success against opposing team's 2nd unit. The ideal starter guards lineup is a combo of Anfernee/Brogdan/Sharpe. But with the rebuild, they can justify putting in Scoot more.

Same thing with Raptors, Dennis is now on the bench because of Quickley, but for a while, the Raptors head coach was hanging onto him (to Barnes's fans dismay), because even if Dennis is an inferior PG to FVV, he's still an extension of the head coach, and does what the HC asks.

Just think of whatever job you currently have (hopefully a long term one); can the new hire who's only been in the industry for 3 months replace you?

Kinda icky to see people celebrating our PG getting hurt. Next man up mentality is fine, but this obsession with youth is a bit overboard.

Tankeio, joshuaao, sirjesse and 2 others like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Abduction......adductor Brothers.....

sirjesse likes this.
  8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There is a chance. The next 10 or so games will be telling.

That said, I don't expect the Rockets to actually win many games without FVV. The important thing is seeing if Amen continues performing well when always facing the opponents' best lineup.

rockets1995 and Patience like this.
  9. raining threes

I wonder if Seth Curry is available.

I would also give Hinton a shot

Need more shooters

Aek Lokitiyakul likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Damn that's going to really hurt our ability to win games, but it's also an opportunity for Amen, Jalen and Cam to step up. We have plenty of depth and most likely will run a lot more.

I don't know if it's statistically possible to win with 2 shooters as bad as Amen and Sengun on the floor, but I'd like to find out. They have good chemistry. Amen will surprise you, at a faster pace he will look like a different player. I think the lack of shooting (and Jalen being a below average shooter too) might not be sustainable.

Holiday, Amen, Jalen, Cam, Bullock, Tate >> in theory, we have enough depth and playmaking to put up a good fight. I'm not opposed to Holiday starting at the 1 with very limited minutes (20 minutes maybe) and Amen getting the lion's share of PG minutes off the bench. Holiday has not been playing his best recently but I think he can function as someone who brings the ball up, makes open 3's and lets Sengun/Jalen/Cam/Amen/Jabari attack. He gives them all space and some experience. It's an option.

We finish the game with whichever combination of Amen/Cam/Jalen is creating+defending best that night. We're playing Indiana, they are not very good defensively and they force a fast pace. I think we can shock them in transition but I'm just worried about the shooting. They're a great 3pt shooting team, they take the fewest mid range shots, they have the highest FG% on mid range shots. We need 2 guys to be hot from 3pt range to have a chance.

It's going to be a great learning game for Ime. Carlisle is running the most potent offense in the league which a bunch of young guys and no 30ppg scorers. He does it by severely limiting mid range shots and forcing them to run. Lots of corner 3's, lots of attacks on the basket, lots of 4-out and 5-out. They're the inverse Rockets.

Rashmon and Bo6 like this.
  11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Our half court offense is going to be really ugly. I think it’s going to be a really good learning experience for amen though. But it’s gonna be rough.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

I am excited to see Amen play more minutes but my expectations are firmly in check. Unless we make a trade for some help, this definitely hurts us. Fred isn't without his flaws, but he is an experienced and solid floor general on both ends. Amen is going to be a great player, but he's just a rookie.

anthony59237 likes this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Amen is not ready to replace FVV, if anything our secondary ball handler is Green who also has suspect handles

Patience, Tankeio and daywalker02 like this.
  14. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I disagree that Jabrari is a decent shooter. I cring every time he shoots.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. I was just thinking the same thing. I love me some Amen, but if he's starting or getting a lot more minutes, we'll for sure find out how far he's advanced. If he doesn't play great, I'm sure we'll see the usual jokers crawl out from under their rocks blaming Stone, Amen, and everybody else that he sucks and how we blew the draft. Then the next game if he does well, we'll see tweets from random accounts showing the same highlights over and over stating he's our franchise player and "he heeeeem" along with every cornball stat that includes his age, height, and birthplace as constraints. :D I hope he does well.

Scarface likes this.
  16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, you are very determined to be wrong about everything, so I'm not surprised.

anthony59237 and BonziWellsGOAT like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Do you cringe when other players shoot because they ain't going in that much......

evo8lover likes this.
  18. Hesitation

Hesitation Member

Time to shine for amen. At least more usage for sengun which is good.

19. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Just call Sam Presti one more time and ask for V. Micic.

20. plegus

plegus Member

I reckon he will do this at least at first. Then will proceed with what works.