1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

freakin napster - anyone know how i can get back on?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by insideout, Jul 22, 2000.

1. insideout

insideout Contributing Member

yesh, we've discussed this, and i'm one of the 267,000 users that got kicked off.. so does anyone know how i can get back on? or if you use gnutella, gimme an email..

------------------
    rat-a-tat-tat, who lost a Cat?

2. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

There's a hack that'll get you back on. If I can dig it up, I'll send it on over.

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

If you have IRC, you should easily find it there. Alot of ppl have it.

I got a question, Why did they ban you?

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He probably was one of the ones Metallica asked to have banned. Just log on using another name. I don't think the ban is based on IP addresses. I could be wrong... [​IMG]

------------------
    Just shut up and post

5. insideout

insideout Contributing Member

apparently i have ONE Dr. Dre song.. [see other post - Dr. Dre and Metallica and Napster] and apparently they somehow know who i am even though I have a different user name and server.. oh well.. napigator here I come.

------------------
    rat-a-tat-tat, who lost a Cat?

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I have a couple of Dr. Dre songs and I rename them so that if you search for Dr. Dre, you cannot find them. I don't care if people dl them from me, I just don't want to get banned. There is program to dl to get back on Napster if you have been banned, and some instructions on the web on how to delete some files on your computer so that you can get a new user name to work.

------------------
    Home of Rashard Lewis and the Mighty Rams - Alief Elsik

7. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

I don't think having Dr. Dre or Metallica files on your list is going to get you banned. I have several Dr. Dre songs, as well as a couple Metallica, and nothing happened. Same thing happened with some of my friends, although one did get banned.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Azim,

The way they did it originally was basically pick times of the day and did a search for Dre's or Metallica's music while online. They then tried to trace the users the files belonged to. Not everybody that has it will be busted unless they happened to be online and serving up files when they were "scanning".

------------------
    Just shut up and post

9. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Ah, I see "Doc of Slam", thanks for the 411. That does explain a lot, and makes sense. Considering that many people did get busted, while some didn't. What about those who had absolutely no Dr. Dre or Metallica files, were(are) they still vulnerable to get banned at all?

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.

[This message has been edited by Azim da Dream (edited July 24, 2000).]

10. DUDE

DUDE Member

You also have to be using Beta 6 or higher to get banned. I use 5.0 and download Dre and MEtallica and havent been banned. AND I have been online during those weekends when they have done the banning. There are a few websites out there that still have Beta 5.0 available. If you find one, USE it instead of 6.0 or higher.

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"

11. DUDE

DUDE Member

Go here: http://www.napster.org.uk/napster.htm

It has some good news about Napster stuff. And if you click on Downloads you can get BETA 5.0
    They also tell you NOT to use 6.0

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"

12. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Narc!!! NARC!!!! [​IMG]

Ask Keeley, I think he knows.

13. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

They got me too. [​IMG] When trying to log on, there was a link to this message;

Your Napster account has been blocked pursuant to a Notification of Alleged Infringement under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") filed against you by Barbara Orbison Music Company, through its agent, Copyright.net. The allegation is that material that you have made available through the Napster service contains one or more recordings whose song copyrights are owned by Barbara Orbison Music Company and that your making these available infringes Barbara Orbison Music Company's copyrights. The material at issue is the following list of songs:

Blue Angel
    Blue Bayou
    Claudette
    Crying
    Dream Baby
    Falling
    I'm Hurtin'
    In Dreams
    It's Over
    Lana
    Leah
    Oh Pretty Woman
    Only the Lonely
    Running Scared
    Sweet Dreams Baby
    Uptown
    Working for the Man

For more information in this matter, please see the following link:
    http://infringe.napster.com/notice.html

Apparently, I have one of those songs (Pretty Woman), and that ended up getting me busted. So I followed that link...

Please read this entire notice carefully. If you were redirected to this page by the Napster client, the reason is because Napster has received an allegation from or on behalf of a copyright rights holder under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"). The allegation is that material that you have made available through the Napster service is copyrighted and that your making it available infringes the notifier's copyright. In response, we have blocked you from access to your Napster account. Your account will remain blocked unless you provide us with a completed copy of the "Counter Notification" form below to the "Designated Copyright Agent," all as covered by the DMCA law. In order to submit a counter notification, you must certify, under penalty of perjury that you have a good faith belief that you were blocked as a result of the notifier's mistake or misidentification of the material you were sharing. This form must, as you will see, include your full real name, complete address, your Napster user name (i.e., the user name which you were using at the time we received the notice and had to block your account), and your consent to being sued in the federal court where you reside by the copyright holder.

If you supply a Counter Notification, we will send a copy of that Counter Notification to the copyright rights holder making the allegation of infringement. We will restore access to your account within 10 to 14 business days thereafter, unless during that time our Designated Copyright Agent receives notice from the copyright rights holder that it has filed a legal action against you seeking a court order to restrain you from engaging in illegal activity relating to material made available through the Napster service.

The "Counter Notification" form can be found below: ...

Do you think I should risk signing this form, or would it be pointless since Napster is destined to go through some major changes this summer and its traffic has already slowed down drastically? Should I just try some of the other alternatives?

Thanks in advance,

Azim da Dream

------------------
    Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.

http://www.clutchtown.com

[This message has been edited by Azim da Dream (edited May 15, 2001).]

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Awwww. So sad.

[​IMG]

Maybe you should just give Dr. Dre a ring and ask him to let you back on Napster. I'm sure he wouldn't mind. Oh, that's right. You don't know Dr. Dre and he didn't give you permission in the first place. My mistake.

he he he he

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm evil. [​IMG]

------------------
    The internet is about the free exchange and sale of other people's ideas. - Futurama

15. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Thanks, Jeff.
    And here I thought all along that you were one of Clutchcity's resident nice guys.

So much for that! [​IMG]

Azim da Dream

------------------
    Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.

http://www.clutchtown.com

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

he he he he

[​IMG]

------------------
    The internet is about the free exchange and sale of other people's ideas. - Futurama

17. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

After reading this thread, I decided to log in to napster to see what was up... I didn't get a blocked/banned message but I wasn't able to connect to a server. Oh well... it was fun while it lasted.

There's always bearshare, Imesh, Gnutella among countless others... I'll give those a shot.

rH

------------------
    visit: The Psychedelic Groove House of Rockets Basketball Love!