1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FREAK] Mario Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Real Shady, Feb 28, 2006.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The Texans should really think about trading down for this guy. He posted freakish combine numbers over the weekend with a mind blowing 35 reps on the bench press. That's an amazing stat considering how long his arms are, and to put that in perspective massive DT Ngata had 37 reps.

People considered Julius Peppers to be an athletic freak coming out of college, but compare his measurables to Williams.

Mario Williams:
    6-7
    295 lbs
    Bench 225 - 35 reps
    40-yard dash - 4.66
    vertical 40 1/2 inches

Julius Peppers:
    6-6 1/4
    282 lbs
    Bench 225 - 24 reps
    40-yard dash 4.69/4.71 seconds
    vertical 36-inches

Mario Williams – DE – NC State
    Williams measured in at 6-7, 295. He has met with the Texans, Rams and Panthers.

http://www.football.com/cgi-bin/posters/printPost.cgi?category=nflcomments&at=nfl1.shtml

2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I was the biggest supporter of NOT trading down until I started learning about this Mario Williams guy. He is an absolute freak, and WOW, how about those numbers posted above. Because of their ability, I'm starting to lean toward trading down and taking D'Brick or Mario along with some extra picks and maybe a teams cap casualties (if they're not Tony Boselli types, meaning chronically injured).

I am somewhat worried about trading down because there is no disputing that the Texans definately need some fire power. Someone exciting that can take it to the house every time they touch it (or throw it to the house as it may be).

My biggest argument for drafting VY (besides talent) was his leadership, a quality it SEEMS David Carr lacks and the Texan sorely need on offense.

My biggest argument for drafting Bush was the fact that he was a playmaker, pure and simple, something we also don't have on offense.

Mario and D'Brick don't seem to address those issues and I don't think we'll be championship caliber until we fix those two (and of course many other) needs.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

That is very impressive. I hope someone offers up a king's ransom for the #1. Texans could sure use it.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

In just about any other draft year a freak DE would go #1. I still wouldn't be surprised to see the Texans take Super Mario with the #1 pick but I'm definitely in a tiny minority.

5. The Real Shady

Looking at Mario's size, strength, and speed combination he reminds me of Reggie White. A guy who is strong enough to play DT and has the speed to play DE.

Everytime I think of Reggie White I remember him knocking some poor OT on his ass with 1 arm, and then sacking the QB.

6. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

This is definately an above average year as far as talent.

Having the #1 pick could reap some serious rewards.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Guys like Cutler and Mario Williams could really raise the value of our pick. Hopefully their stock will continue to rise, some team is going to be very interested in the next Julius Peppers.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

where is he slated to go in the draft?

9. The Real Shady

Most mock draft's have him as a top 5 pick before the combine.

10. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Where did you get these numbers? If I remember correctly, Peppers was in the 4.5 range in the 40.

11. The Real Shady

12. TigerBait

TigerBait Contributing Member

Vernon Davis is even more of a freak; ran a 4.38.

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I saw the DL run their 40's on the NFL network last night...Some amazing athletes...

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This draft is unlike any other draft I've seen in a while. There seems to be one absolute stud at nearly every position.

TE - Davis
    RB - Bush
    OL - Ferguson
    DE - Williams
    DT - Ngata
    LB - Hawk
    CB - Williams
    Safety - Huff

Then you have the 3 top QB prospects with a huge dropoff afterwards, also a virtual no-name WR crop (Chad Jackson or Santonio Holmes will be the first off the board)

15. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

he is definitely a great looking prospect but calling him the next peppers is probably going a little too far right now. peppers was a much more dominant player in college. williams had a great junior year and will definitely be a top 10 pick, but saying he's the next peppers or better than peppers just because of his measurables is going too far.

however, i was really impressed by michael huff's performance. everyone knows that he can flat out play but some people in the nfl were doubting his athleticism.

Huff
    40 time: 4.32
    vert.: 40.5

after being estimated at a 4.5 by espn in the 40.

16. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

EDIT

Huff
    40 time: 4.34

17. gucci888

I don't think he will be the next Peppers but I sure hope other teams think so. Almost every team could use a stud pass rushing DE and hopefully teams will want to move up for him.

4.34 for Huff is good, the 40.5 vertical is even better. Huff is already projected as a Top 10 pick. I think these numbers might have solidified it. That's one of the fastest times in the combine IIRC. I believe Chad Jackson ran a 4.32, Sinorice Moss ran a 4.34, didn't McNeal run somewhere in the 4.3's as well? Add in that the fact that there is a TE running in a 4.38 as well!!

18. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

tye hill from clemson ran a 4.30. he also outperformed huff in alot of hte other drills. the general consensus is that huff is still the best db this year, but hill just made himself a lot of dough.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9273126

btw ced griffin ran a solid 4.46. he has great size and probably solidified himself as a 2nd round pick. he does have some character issues though

19. gucci888

4.3 is absolutely blazing. Haven't heard much about Hill, how big is he?

20. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

5'10 180lbs

he was one of the three thorpe finalists