1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Frank Vogel may be available... (UPDATE: Vogel out in Indiana)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, May 1, 2016.

1. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Pretty sure rocket fans would take him over mchale. Hell, give me George karl

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]If the Pacers move on from Frank Vogel, other teams should pounce

One interesting open job currently, though, is the Rockets job.

Vogel is analytics-friendly, able to speak comfortably in that language, and could possibly get along with Daryl Morey. He's defense-first, which the Rockets really need, and has always managed to get his guy to play hard, another problem with Houston. The offensive simplicity and inefficiency is a concern, especially with James Harden's ball-pounding, but Harden's also a brilliant facilitator, even better than George, and we've all seen what Vogel has been able to help George become.

However, the most likely -- and logical -- solution is for Vogel to stay with the Pacers. They've made the playoffs every year except last season when George went down under Vogel, since 2011. He's a calm, steady hand, who is able to both develop players and help them win. Larry Bird needs to seriously consider how much of an upgrade he can get before letting Vogel walk away. An old country saying, "Dance with the one that brought ya" should be something the "Kid from French Lick" should keep in mind.[/rQUOTEr]

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

itshappening.gif

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Go take a look at the roster moves/additions/subtractions GSW went through during their ascension back to respectability during Jackson's time there and then tell me it was due to his coaching.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Frank Vogel possibly being available is a very interesting development.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Cat found this tweet. It is from 2011.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: Pacers interim coach Frank Vogel has interviewed for the Houston Rockets head coaching position. (via <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA">@MikeWellsNBA</a>)</p>&mdash; IndyStar Sports (@IndyStarSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/IndyStarSports/status/66329389280919552">May 6, 2011</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If you're really good at searches, you might find Morey talking about Vogel as someone they were interested in or Vogel having interviewed with the Rockets. I remember something about Morey saying such a thing but this was, as the Cat's find indicates, years ago.

Don't know if Vogel is actually going to be out there for us, though. Isn't he under contract another year? Does he have an opt-out? Is he going to be canned?

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Let's try this again: Vogel and Rockets general manager Daryl Morey were together with the Boston Celtics.</p>&mdash; Mike Wells (@MikeWellsNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeWellsNFL/status/66298453113835520">May 6, 2011</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The word is that his contract ENDS at the end of this season. There is no other year or year-option.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, i guess he'll be high on our list if he doesn't resign with the Pacers, and i'm ok with him.

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

Pacers would be dumb to dump him unless they have 100% certainty they can do better! I'm not sure I'd take him. Wasn't McHale a defense first guy with limited offense / Xs and Os?

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

McHale's specialty was to get the team to "play harder." Once the clapping failed, it was over.

Seriously though, his biggest trait wasn't Xs and Os as much as being able to bring players together and as a communicator. And once he lost his voice with the team (Harden), it was over.

13. Zergling

Zergling Member

WOW, yes please get er done Morey. I would feel MUCH better about losing Thibs if we can land Vogel.

Ian Mahinmi had a pretty solid season and would be a massive upgrade over Dwight. If we can't land Horford or Cousins, maybe Vogel can recruit Mahinmi to Houston

14. Zergling

Zergling Member

Mahinmi is an UFA

15. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

Don't know much about him. What are his strengths?

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Wow - that makes me a little more hopeful. It's one thing to say Indy won't let Vogel go, but quite another to say Vogel has a chance to play where he chooses this offseason after making a successful move into a head coaching role and by the way, he has familiarity with not only Morey, but also advanced basketball analytics.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but in my mind the Houston job is more of a marquee job than the Indy one and given Houston's roster flexibility and willingness to shake it all up this offseason, it's got to be an enticing prospect for Vogel to name his team and to some extent get a say on his players. I think Morey at this point would be far more receptive to coach's suggestions than Bird would be. This is definitely something to keep an eye on and if it turns out the reason all along we didn't hire a coach mid-season was because Morey knew this was in play...well then, I'll make sure to return to post this image:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Also, i know it's really early for this, but who knows what Paul George will do in the future...he'll never win in Indiana, and i think he can be a perfect fit with Harden, maybe even more than Durant, so, signing Vogel maybe will give us a chance with George in the future -> George and Harden both will expire after 2017/18 season.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Vogel or JVG... Jeez, both are good fits IMHO. I like both, but both have their deficiencies. Honestly, I wouldn't be mad for either.

19. hakeemthagreat

Um, no. Eastern Conference success is different than Western Conference success. The guy just got eliminated in the 1st round by Toronto. You think he'll succeed against us possibly playing the Spurs, GS or OKC in a 7 game series? Mark Jackson, Kevin Ollie, Mario Elie or bust

20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

We get that you like Mark Jackson. Stop it. You and Stephen A Smith are the only ones.