1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francisco Garcia: Likely the most important player acquired for the purposes of this season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

From what I've seen Garcia's only weakness is that he isn't a great ball handler. When he is given the ball and has to dribble it usually seems to end in a mess. I usued to think his defense was a liability as well but apparently, they just had him guarding the wrong people (understandable since he usually only saw minutes in blowouts or when they go for a 3 SF small ball line up). Everything else based on this playoff series appears very good, you can see during the game him communicating with guys, he has good shot selection and plays defense better then Parsons who was previously our best defender for guards/small forwards.

No doubt about it, without him, this team probably would have gotten swept.

2. duteman

duteman Member

I'm surprised a lot of people arent' familiar with garcia. He's been a guy that can play d and put up good numbers on nights for SAC. Imagine a shane battier type of player that is less of a leader. Definitely a solid role player

3. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

He has spent 8 years I believe in Sacramento, that place along with Washington have been a bit of a black hole in regards to its players, it is difficult to gauge whether the guys are good on a bad team or just good.

4. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

God pick up I am glad to see Harden feeding him in the corner.

5. H-Town™

H-Town™ Member

Thank you very much Sacramento

6. DreamRoxCoogFan

kinda sad that this is his first experience with the playoffs. Happy for him though

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

This series has definitely made him money. Too bad there is little chance he returns to the Rockets.

If I'm any Western Conference contender, I'm looking to add Garcia, because he can shoot the 3 with the best of them, and looks good guarding Durant (granted everyone else on the Rockets looks invisible on Durant).

8. Anxiety Trooper

He was on the kings team that made the playoffs with world peace and lost to the spurs if I recall correctly.

9. Jimes

Jimes Member

I thought this was a joke thread... It looks like the joke's on me.

10. Anxiety Trooper

If I were the heat I would add him to my rotation of wings that shoot from the outside and play defense. Imagine this lineup.

PG- Lebron
    Ray Allen
    Garcia
    Battier
    C- Bird man

11. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Ideal fit would be NY Knicks, I know Popovich is probaly salivating at him. If we don't get any of the free-agent PFs, he'll probaly be back.

12. gene18

gene18 Rookie

I Totally agree. Not only has he produced. One can tell by watching him that he knows how to handle himself on the court. He's a big plus. I also think you are right about his dip in production on the Kings. We tend to reflect the team we play for. I like your reasoning and perceptions.

13. coffeelover665

"So this is what a playoff game feels like? It's pretty fun!"

-Garcia to Mchale

14. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Garcia has played great. He's played with intensity on D vs Durant, and the offensive fouls he's drawn on Durant have been huge momentum changers.

I give a lot of credit to Morey for acquiring Garcia. We are playing an unorthodox lineup vs OKC, a lot like the dribble-drive Warriors that beat Dallas in '06 with one main penetrator (Harden <-> Baron Davis) and a bunch of 3pt shooters. Garcia is a perfect for this system, but would probably have been waived by now by a lot of other teams. Come to think of it, this OKC team's main weakness (without Westbrook) is the same as that '06 Dallas team. They lack a consistent way to score inside to punish us for our small lineup.

15. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

He & Martin were two of the Sac's biggest stars before they went with the youth movement. I was surprised he didn't play much in the regular season after traded here, because he is a better player than Delfino.

I guess McHale was saving him for the playoff:)

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Though it's pretty crazy what that trade did to our line-up. In Game 5, we only ran for 10 minutes with a real power forward, Greg Smith. The othe 38 minutes was all swingmen playing out of position. With Jones, Robinson, Motiejunas, White (lol) and Smith all at our disposal, you'd think we could squeeze more than 10 minutes of play out of them. Not that I can knock it too much seeing as we won with that strategy.

17. DuDDleyDawsonII

2Pat who ? We wouldn't be in this position with 2Pat

18. Asian Sensation

Yessirrr!