1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Francis to begin practice!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by QdoubleA, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its an uphill climb for Francis. He's already been away from full-out basketball longer than anyone else on the team. He has to work through whats sure to be initial rust. Which is expected but will work against him since he only has 2 weeks and maybe 2 games to show anything. By the time he rounds into form its time for roster cuts. Or in his own words it wont be until 2009 when he's in real NBA condition.

Depends on the kind of role they expect from Francis. If they want the occassional 20-25 minute game then he figures into the plans and they can take a wait-and-see approach. A lessened form of Battier's injury situation, a proven player who isnt in danger of being let go cuz he's not playing.

If its for 12-15 most nights...Brooks, Strawberry and Wafer have shown that team play will not suffer much if at all when they're given minutes...These guys have been going against the opponents 1st teamers some nights, and playing well.

2. ABtheTerrorist

"from quadriceps surgery on his right knee "

well that was the problem! why wouldn't he just have knee surgery?

3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Honestly, I think this team is too deep to find a role for francis.

4. Triple Threat

Triple Threat Member

I don't see why people think Francis is done. First of all, he only had trouble with his quadriceps, which is far less of a long-term problem after recovery than other types of knee injuries; he was just stupid for putting the surgery off for so long. Secondly, he is only 31, still within the window of being considered in your prime(generally 28-32 for basketball players).

It could be true that he won't regain his prior form, but I'll wait for the evidence to suggest otherwise rather than jumping to an idiotic conclusion before he has even really begun to test himself post-surgery.

5. Triple Threat

Triple Threat Member

New post to correct my previous post since I can't edit it(which is completely idiotic).

I don't see why people think Francis is done. First of all, he only had trouble with his quadriceps, which is far less of a long-term problem after recovery than other types of knee injuries; he was just stupid for putting the surgery off for so long. Secondly, he is only 31, still within the window of being considered in your prime(generally 28-32 for basketball players).

It could be true that he won't regain his prior form, but I'll wait for the evidence to suggest such rather than jumping to an idiotic conclusion before he has even really begun to test himself post-surgery.

6. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

What can Steve do that AB can't?

7. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Contributing Member

Francis did not practice today.

8. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Give me a call when Steve does that anytime soon :rolleyes:

10. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Give me your phone number. :)

[​IMG]

11. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Well i live in AUS so it is going to be expensive :D

12. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Last season:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SlZA4vrUmWE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SlZA4vrUmWE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/icuT1PJ43nw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/icuT1PJ43nw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Keep in mind this was "fat and out of shape" Francis, on a bad wheel. There's really no reason to believe he's lost that much athleticism.

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

This should be posted on every Francis thread. The man could potentially come back and be a contributor. To assume he is done is foolish. You can argue all you want about his fit on the team, but he could still be back.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yawn. He'll average less than 5 minutes per game.

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

These days? Absolutely nothing.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

As a precaution or some sort of recovery relapse?

17. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

And you are basing this on...? Last year was by far his worst season, and he was still averaging 19 minutes before he got hurt.

18. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

AB can't be used in every situation...some games, their will be matchup problems with him against the big guards that would probably punished AB for being too damn short (ie. baron davis, deron williams, felton etc)

basically, we do need francis...a healthy one of course :)

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man, thanks for posting those. Good memories. I really hope he can contribute this season, I was so excited when I heard we got him. I won't forget I was on the road and heard it in my truck on the radio and I started yelling. :)

20. Albert Einstain

actually, brent is undoubtedly able to play PG for minutes but someone doubted whether tmac can also play PG. tmac is too high to play PG and his bad dribbling skills also make things worse. But do the size and slowness really disable tmac to become a great PG? No, I think he can do even better as a PG than a wing, because of his name which tells us the fact---tmac is contemporary magic.

In addition, I don't think SF will frustrate us again. He'll not break his words when he says"I'll be back". Maybe SF will no longer be as great as he used to be but he's definitly way better than AB who is more of a SG. AB's 3pt% will never be seen in regularseason where the defense is a lot tougher.