1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis Stats -- we're better with him on the court

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ricealum, Jan 13, 2004.

1. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

This site has been posted here before, but they recently wrote to me and said I should take a look at the following page:

Steve Francis: On Court / Off Court stats

I had written to tell them that since they base many of their rankings on the difference between a player on the court vs. off the court, what they are really measuring is the quality of that player's backup, and I stand by that, at least partially. But the overall ranking of players by that stat does match up pretty well with real life, so it's obviously a useful stat.

Anyway, I heard back from their head statistician, Roland Beech, who said it sounded like I wasn't a fan of Steve and said to check out the page. I was surprised. I found the most interesting the following:

1. Our defense, of all things, is better with Francis on the floor:

Effective FG% Allowed 41.7% 44.5% -2.8%

In other words, when Francis sits, the team allows opponents to shoot better.

2. Our top ranked player, based on point differential on vs. off court, is ... Mike Wilks! :eek:

2. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

I wonder if the Wilks stat isn't because it was garbage time for him and the Rox more than likely were way behind in his previous limited action.

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

If your using stats during Moochies tenure - I don't think that's earthshattering news. If not, considering how much time Steve is on the court vs is not (Wilks), I'm not sure that's going to give you a good picture.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The Rockets suck when he's on the court and they suck when he's off the court...don't matter either way...

5. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Basically, the Rockets just suck? ;) :D

6. kryten128

kryten128 Member

I don't really buy this kind of on- and off-court comparison. First of all, Moochie sucked. Second of all, Francis has played heavy minutes, meaning that he usually plays 40+ minutes per game, except when it's a blowout by the Rockets, in which case he sits most of the 4th, with the Rockets bench players going up against the other team's starters for the most part. Lastly, there are just too many other factors involved to credit the lower opponent's FG% when Francis is on the floor to Francis alone. Such as other teammates he's tends to be on the floor with at the same time. And what about other stats that may be telling, such as assists and assists-against, or TO and TO-against when Francis is on versus off the floor?

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I've always felt the best way to look at +/- stats was using player combinations. IOW, what is Francis' +/- with Yao, Cato, JJ, and Mobley vs Cato, Mo T, Pike, JJ or Cato, Taylor, Cat , Moochie (the infamous old small ball).

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I thought you gave up on the Rockets? If you did, why are you still coming to a Rockets FAN website everyday?

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You don't even need stats to see that the Rockets are much better with him on the court.

JVG takes Yao out when he's doing bad or just not playing hard enough, but he won't take SF out of the game no matter how he's playing because he knows that taking him out is a huge liability.

10. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

You only need to look at the games he missed two seasons ago with the headaches - they were like 1-25 or something....

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

But there are different levels of suckiness you know.

12. kryten128

kryten128 Member

So to sum it all up, all we're really saying is that our backup point guards suck compared to Steve Francis. Well, that's really intriguing here, because surely no one would expect the starter to play better than his backups, right? Way to go, Stevie!!!

13. dfoolz

dfoolz Member

So what do we do with steve when we dont make the playoffs? It sounds like your happy just looking at his stats. I would like this team to make the playoffs.

14. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

GATER: "I've always felt the best way to look at +/- stats was using player combinations."

They have five man breakdowns and recently put up a feature on two man combos. I have to add that I'm still not convinced of the utility of some of the stats, but many are very interesting.

15. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

These statistics, despite being interesting, hold very little substantial value. The outside factors are so sublime in number that these stats are not a true representation of on the floor "worth". Francis' "worth" to this team is a judgement call, taking in to consideration an vast array of statistical and non-statistiscal factors.

16. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

correction: non-statistical

17. SHANGHAi

SHANGHAi Member

I preferred Francis on the court 3000x more than Moochie, but then again, Moochie's gone now, so nothing to complain about =/

18. ckfol

ckfol Member

So true. The entire bench ship to CBA in China.

19. gasnapalm

gasnapalm Member

were obviously better with him on the court cause we dont really have a good packup pg. Stats dont show everything like how he runs our offense

20. sup123

sup123 Member

but he is a turnover machine!