1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis Reportedly Kicks a Photographer (UPDATE: Steve suspended without pay)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 19, 2005.

1. droxford

droxford Member

Lemme save you the trouble (after a quick search on Google)

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...37438.story?coll=orl-magic&ctrack=1&cset=true

Steve Francis suspended by NBA

By Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted March 19, 2005, 5:30 PM EST

SEATTLE -- Orlando Magic point guard Steve Francis has been suspended indefinitely without pay by the NBA for kicking an NBA courtside photographer Friday night.

The length of Francis' suspension will be determined pending an investigation.

According to NBA courtside photographer Jeff Reinking, he and Francis got entangled on the sideline and Francis kicked him during the Magic's 98-90 loss to the Seattle SuperSonics on Friday.

Francis said after the game that a photographer "threw my legs down, man. I don't know what was happening." Jameer Nelson will start at point guard tonight against the Portland Trail Blazers in place of Francis.

-- droxford

2. droxford

droxford Member

More...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/216775_francis19.html

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Francis, photographer tangle
    Magic star denies kicking allegation

By DANNY O'NEIL
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

Orlando Magic guard Steve Francis allegedly kicked a courtside photographer in the fourth quarter of last night's game at KeyArena.

Francis denied it after the game, but photographer Jeff Reinking said that he was kicked by Francis, who had fallen on top of Reinking on the baseline beneath the Magic's basket with 8:49 left in the game. Reinking spoke with an NBA security official, Robert Sale, who was making a report of the incident.

"I fell back, couldn't get away from him," Reinking was heard telling the league official. "Then he kicked me."

The play happened in the fourth minute of the fourth period. Francis had attempted a layup, which was blocked by Sonics forward Rashard Lewis. Francis fell out of bounds and his legs landed on Reinking, a courtside photographer for the NBA who was seated on the baseline beneath the basket.

"I just put my hand to move his leg and protect myself like I've done 100 times before," Reinking said.

It was after Francis had landed that he kicked him Reinking. Reinking said he remembered just one "bang" from a kick though it appeared Francis may have used both feet.

Referee Bob Delaney came over to Reinking after the play to make sure he was OK. Delaney also told Reinking he would probably be asked to fill out an incident report.

Francis was asked about the incident after the game in the locker room, although a team public-relations spokesman had conferred with Francis before he spoke.

"He threw my legs down, man," Francis said. "That was it."

Francis was then asked if he kicked the photographer.

"No," Francis said. "Uh-uh. I don't know what happened."

Francis was booed by the crowd the next time he touched the ball as plenty of people saw the incident.

-- droxford

3. droxford

droxford Member

oh.. sorry. Forgot that this thread was posted in the wrong place.

-- droxford

4. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

My source was ESPNNEWS, and the link is "Watch Ch. 116 on Time Warner Cable - Houston";)

5. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Man is Steve having a bad season or what. First he gets traded. Then his best friend gets traded to the Kings. Then he gets left off the All-star squad. And now this. Feel bad for the guy but sooner or later he has to grow up.

6. lhphpl

lhphpl Contributing Member

I am so sorry for steve, although I do not like his rockets, I really love this guy!

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Hopefully it'll be on soon.

8. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

No need to pile on the poor guy, afterall, he just wants to win...

9. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Kinda feel for the guy...He wears his emotion on his sleeve and he really needs to realize how to be more professional about things....

They guy has a heart to win and play hard...just cause he didint' fit here in houston doesnt mean the guy is bad...he just has some issues he needs to deal with....

Hopefully things will fall right for the guy.

10. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

Simple. Frustration. You're losing yet another game and then on top of everything you trip onto some reporter and the first thing that flashes in your mind is the issue taht many players have stated - that the reporters should not be that close to the floor and that a player is going to seriously be injured one day as a result. So he lost control for just a moment and kicked the guy.

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I still consider Francis a Rocket. I wish him the best.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

:) lol

Tiger,

no prob man. I was just wondering. You were really venting. Anyways, this probably will be joined with the other SF threads in the NBA DISH.

The thread in the DISH gave a link and article to start it off.

13. Hmm

Hmm Member

And I thought pgabriel had the blindest loyalty to Francis.. this one takes the cake.

14. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Mate, you really need to take a step back and re-read what you just wrote.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Stu Jackson was heard saying to an assistant "I've been waiting for this for over 5 years. . .and d*mmit I'm gonna make it worth it." Jackson it seemed creamed in his pants at the thought of once again extracting some measure of revenge against Steve Francis.

Rocket River

16. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Just goes to show (again) that reaching the top of your profession, making millions of dollars and becoming a celebrity mean jack shiat when it comes to happiness.

17. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

:D x 100

nominee for post of the month, at least.

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Doesn't know how, doesn't want to learn how, that's the problem...

19. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Trainwreck of a season. Proceeds from bad to worse, his trade value has to be at an all-time low with a bad contract.

Clearly, he's going to be traded to the Knicks this offseason.

#59 Puedlfor, Mar 19, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  20. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I was a little irritated when SF was left off the Olympic team. I thought it was completely unfair. Being skipped over as an All-Star this year was also a surprise. He may have some baggage commonly known around the league. He needs to get a grip on himself before he spirals out of control. Doing something this stupid is almost beyond belief. If he deliberately kicked the guy and tried to diss it off after the game by blaming the photographer, someone needs to give him some serious counseling. For me, this finishes off any doubt about the Super Bowl incident.

I don't want to think of Steve as a bad guy but I'm almost there. Maybe he will hit bottom with this incident and turn things around. (That all said, I reserve judgement based on seeing the video. I'm assuming it clearly shows Steve kicking the guy).

P.S: One of the refs told the photographer to fill out the incident report.