1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis leaving is a loss for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yahooforyao, Jul 1, 2004.

1. yahooforyao

yahooforyao Member

I see Houston not getting good chemistry with Tmac and others, and I see a season of everyone trying to find an identity on the team. We will regret trading Steve Francis. Maybe you wont know it now, but watch how people react at the end of the season. I see Orland having a drastically improved season with playoffs, while Houston with a not so great season. Its all about team chemistry. The lakers had 4 hall of famers, that had bad chemistry. We will see how Tmac plays with yao, while I see francis cat and Cato flourishing with Grant Hill.

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

The season hasn't even started. Once we get a good PG off of free agency, you'll see. Give it some time.

3. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

If we pick up a good point guard who can give us easy baskets, i beg to differ!

4. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

The Lakers with bad chemistry still kicked most of the League around last season.

5. MustangPride73

I see a post that goes on...and on and rambles alot.....

I have to respectfully disagree with.....just about everything you said.

T-Mac is going to make the effort to play with Yao, thats why he came here. Yao is way to polite and nice of a guy to not get along with T-Mac. I don't see who else would be problems.

That is unless you do the Steve Nash, C-Webb, Shaq or Kobe trades that everyone seems to think make sense.:rolleyes:

6. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Completely unfair to compare these rockets to the 2004 Lakers. The Rockets only have 2 stars, and the rest of the team wil be filled with players that know their roles.

As for saying the Rockets will have a "not so great season." lets let them form the rest of the team first. No way the Rockets just settle for Lue and Wilks at the point.

yahooforyao, your better than this.

7. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

What i think is tottaly unfair is, Saying T-mac and the others Having Chemistry problems. how can you say that, without a game bing played yet?:confused: .

8. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

chemistry? I don't think a ball player could fit in any worse with Yao than Francis did. Francis' offensive game became painful to watch, and he had more chemistry with Cato than Yao.

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Can we go 2 hours without someone starting a threading crying about how the Rockets are doomed for trading Steve Francis? Amusing how McGrady can't play with Yao Ming but Francis and Mobley can flourish with Hill. So Orlando is going to flourish and the Rockets are going to suck. And you base this on what?

10. xelloss12

xelloss12 Contributing Member

Cause she says so. :D

[​IMG]

11. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Is that you Stevie?

.....enjoy Florida

12. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

To gain something of value, you have to give something of value. Francis was a great piece of the team. He will be sorely missed. But, he didn't fit with Yao. I see TMac fitting better. I think that's why we replaced 3 pieces with at least one that fits better. I don't think Houston wanted to get rid of Cat or Cato, but had no choice, if they wanted to get TMac.

I agree, that Francis, Cat and Cato will do very well in the East, especially if Hill comes back. I hope they do exceptionally well, since that'll make me not feel as bad about letting them go, when I liked them so much.

But, TMac is a fundamental building block of the future. We might not even make the playoffs this year, although I doubt that. But, what we are building CAN and I believe WILL be championship caliber, and I think that once we lost Griffin, the team we had wasn't going to make it. Francis just didn't fit with Yao or JVG.

Ming is a genius. He has serious basketball intelligence, and knowledge of the game. He sees the court. He has fundamentals, and knows the right way to play the game. TMac has an uncanny sense of the game, too, to the point of genius. They will mesh VERY well.

Steve was a gym rat, amazingly athletic, passionate, good character, give his all star player. But, he and Cat didn't "get it," when it came to basketball IQ. They entertain, do highlights, and are fun to watch. If Steve is the star, he'll do well. But, the inside out game was not one he could adapt to, and its ridiculous not to use it, when you have Ming. Steve will do well in Orlando, and feed on the East. But, I'm glad we have TMac instead, even if Steve does much better this year with Orlando, than we do, while we are putting together our team.

#12 Sherlock, Jul 1, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  13. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

Stevie wanted to BALL HOG
    Caturnover wanted to BALL HOG
    Moochie wanted to BALL HOG
    Yao wanted to play a team game
    JVG wanted to play a team game

What the hell kind of chemistry is that? We got rid of the low IQ drama dribble queens and got T-Mac in their place. The chem could not have been worse...

14. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

I'm gonna miss Steve, Cat, and Cato. They were the core of the team besides Yao, and they played hard. Now we basically have the Orlando Magic team of last season + Yao. We made strides this past season but blew the team apart anyway.
    Offensively, we gained a lot in TMac and Juwan, but we lost even more defensively.

15. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

While its true that we gave up 3 starters of a playoff team for 2 starters of the team with the worst record, we got TMAC. Yes, we lost depth and defense. But, the combination of Yao and TMac will draw additional talent we couldn't get before. We'll be able to make our MLE and TE go a long way.

So, WITH TMac, we'll get other players we wouldn't have gotten otherwise, since some players will want to go on the championship ride.

In the end, we have a much better team, but now we just need role players and depth. A starting PG, a backup center, and a better fitting PF.

Yao/FA/FA
    TE or FA/E,Griffin/Padgett
    JJ/Boki/A.Griffin
    McGrady/Gaines
    FA/Lue/Wilks

trading chits: Howard, Taylor, Spoon, Pike, future draft picks, 6.99 TE and 4.5 mil of MLE for FAs ... with the draw of playing with Yao/TMac.

There will be some teams who need us for a third team to make certain deals work, using our TE. We'll have to wait and watch for the right deals.

But, this trade is far from over, to make that kind of evaluation.

16. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I wonder why Howard didn't show up in the press conference yesterday. Is it a hint that he will be moved to another team in a trade?

17. buddry

buddry Member

I doubt it, who would want him?

18. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Correct me if I am wrong, I hear Minnesota and another team (Utah?) are interested in Howard.

19. ptw1

ptw1 Member

Let's see Steve and Cat are ball hogs and Howard and TMac are not?
    Steve, equals a shot every 2.8 minutes, Cat is 1 every 3 minutes. Tmac is 1 shot every 1.7 mintues, Howard is 1 every 2.5. Even Lue is ate a shot every 3.2 minutes. Also, Tmac, who supposed to bring this scoring punch to the Rockets equals 1.20 points per shot. Steve and Cat, are at 1.17. That's with Steve having a down year.
    Also, it wasn't that Yao wanted to play a team game, it's just he does have the conditioning, desire, or nuts to dominate like some many people think he can. We'll see where are the truse fans are around the all star break. If the Rockets are below .500 and the Magic appear to be a lock in the play-offs, I wonder what the Yao only fans will be saying. The Fact is right now, the Rockets will have to fight for a playoff spot. SAC, DAL, SA, MEM are all better than the Rockets. The Lakers are, pending who they get for Shaq and/or if they can keep Kobe. If PHX or the LAC get Kobe, they're better than the Rockets. So assuming 5 spots are taken by SAC, DAL, SA, MEM and wherever Kobe plays (LA,LAC,PHX) will be in the playoffs. That leaves the Rockets battling UTAH, POR, NO, PHX (if they don't get Kobe), DEN for the last 3 spots. That will be tough. Even if Fisher/Barry comes. In the East you have IND, DET, MIA, NJN (assuming KMART stays), NY, MIL as solid playoff berths. That leaves the Magic battling CLE, BOS, PHI, TOR for the last 2 spots. I like the Magic's chances alot better

20. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

he had a prior committment. I don't remember what it was but he came to Houston today