1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis has to go for this team to win consistently

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 29, 2004.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We need a guy that can hit an open jumpshot without dribbling the ball for 10 seconds. We need a guy like Kenny Smith but can play some D. Brent Barry wouldn't be bad.

Francis for Shard and Barry.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Moving Francis to the 2 doesn't solve anything either. Francis dominates the ball and makes bad decisions no matter where he plays on the floor.

3. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I have to admit I missed tonights game because I had to work late so I don't know what Francis did tonight.

But wasn't it just a few days ago when there were a bunch of people praising Francis' . :confused:

I think that was the "Francis' message to Yao" thread.

Speaking of stuff like this I wonder how the official "crow" thread is going?

4. edwardlo

edwardlo Member

What Steve can provide and contribute for Rocket?
    Just sits on the bench for the whole game.

5. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

Why is he trying to lay it up. He needs to throw it down. Afterall, doesn't he have like a 46" vertical?

6. aceman

aceman Contributing Member

I am as furious as the next Rockets fan but I have to just say that at least Steve WAS in the game. Where was Yao?? I know it's only Van Gundy playing matchups but he should be in the game. Since when does the best player sit at the end of the game especially while the backcourt is killing the team. We needed Yao the last 3 minutes and VG let us down. What about giving Mark Jackson more playing time. Steve, please pass (and don't turnover) the ball...

Did anyone notice when Nachbar first came in to the game and while coming back on defense, looked away from his man, Stojakovic who had the ball. Stojakovic then drove past Boki only for Boki try to recover however instead fouling Peja? Steve took the ball and threw it forcefully at the pads for the basket. Nachbar looked at Steve and was bewildered with Steve's anger. I can understand controlled anger to motivate a teammate but I don't see why we wonder why Steve jsut isn't a leader let alone the type of communicater this team needs. I am sure Boki doesn't respect him. Would Yao do the same as Steve? I am sure he wouldn't and instead would have encoured Boki with a pat on the ass.

7. driver8

driver8 Contributing Member

JVG needs to run a few plays that get SF to the rim. Nothing improves a shooting slump like some easy buckets. It seems like, in prior years, SF had no problem getting to the rim (for a dunk, layup or foul call). I don't understand why they can't get the same type of production from him this year, unless he's hurt.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

DaDakota -- You're well known for making broad, bullet statements, particularly after games. "Yao is a pansy" after one, and he's to be worshipped the next, but there is definitely some truth in this thread.

Francis is now officially UNDER 39% shooting for the season (38.9%). He has missed 29 of his last 37 shots in the past three games. Over the last 5 he is shooting under 29%.

If Francis can not shoot the ball at a minimum, he is clearly overpaid for what he brings to the team. He's a tremendous athlete, but even now, some 5 years later, that is still the most used phrase to describe him.

This is still the team that floored Minnesota at home and stunned Indiana on the road, so I'm not setting the town on fire over this loss. They kicked some ass. But they are clearly inconsistent and sloppy, and Francis has to shoulder a lot of the blame for that.

9. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Typical post-loss DaDa post.

I'm sorry, but it's been the same formula for a while. Bash, bash, bash.

Cuttino is the one that jacked up two bad shots within seconds of one another. No one should be blamed for this loss, but, if we're going to pick one guy, he was the one wearing #5.

They(By they, I mean Walton) kept talking about Bibby's torching Francis, but if you want to talk pure point-production, Francis outperformed Bibby.
    (Assuming all assists resulted in 2's)
    Francis - 7 points + (13 x 2) = 33
    Bibby - 28 points + (2 x 2) = 32
    I know you didn't say anything about Bibby vs. Francis, but I figured you might in response. Last season, these statlines would have looked like they should have been switched, and you(Not you, but bashers in general) would have b****ed to no end. Can he do no right?

The bashing is coming without sufficient reason. He is doing everything we've ever complained about...playing solid defense, deferring to Yao(There were noted and successful efforts to re-post Yao numberous times), and playing more under-control. The one thing lacking in his game right now is shooting/scoring, and that's the last thing we should ever worry about. He's a stud scorer, and his shot will eventually come around. As long as he is doing the other things, he is fine.

10. edwardlo

edwardlo Member

OK, he has a cold night, that is quite reasonable. But don't do bonehead play and kill our team. Every time we seems to have a way out, Steve pouring cold water over it.

11. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Clutch -- I understand your workload here, but you need to post more (which you have been doing recently). You just seem to completely and concisely sum up everything that should/needs to be said.

12. spydermex

spydermex Member

IMHO give him the rest of the season and see what happens or who hell get traded for.

13. ckfol

ckfol Member

Francis + Cato + Pike + Boki for Booth, Shard, Barry + Murray

I think Seattle would want Cato at Center to give up Shard and Murray. Seattle still has Ridnour as backup to Francis. Booth is a decent back up at PF and C. Both teams would benefit from this trade.

Rocket after the trade:

Barry/Murray/MJ
    Mobs/JJ/AG
    Shard/JJ/AG
    MO/Pike/Booth
    Yao/Booth

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

What? Me? Make inflamatory knee jerk reactionary statements.

Never !!

;)

I just don't see a lot of improvement in Steve, and I am not sure he fits into a structured environment.

I know he tries hard, as hard as anyone on the team, but, he is just not getting there, and at age 27, I don't see him ever getting there, or not improving enough to make a difference.

You move Steve and you give the team to Yao, he may not be ready, but I think he is a better option than Steve at this point.

DD

15. Noise

Noise Member

SF did not have good games recently, but he is not as bad as you guys think right now. I still believe a shooting guard might be a much better role for him.

Plus, Yao was very disappointing today. He was so timid and so afraid of taking teh shots later in the fourth quarter. JVG should bench him every time him pass the rock!

16. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

His assist total tonight was nice, but he is one of the main reasons for the lost though... 3-17 shooting plus stupid play at the end of each quarter, and add to the fact that Bibby totally torched him.

-G'day-

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Steve isn't going anywhere this season, and I don't think he should. Give him the rest of the year, see how he finishes down the stretch, including what I hope is his first appearance in the playoffs in his career.

Now if he continues this sub-39% shooting of his, by all means the Rockets should consider moving him during the offseason. Yao is clearly the future(if not the present) of this franchise, and if Steve can't find his shot, he's a major liability on the floor. I'm officially off the "trade Cuttino" bandwagon. Yes, he occasionally throws up some questionable shots and he b****es way too much with the refs, but he's adjusted his game nicely to Van Gundy's system and he busts his ass on the defensive end.

Steve on the other hand has gone into the tank, and it's completely mental. Sometimes the only solution for that type of problem is a change of scenery. I don't wanna turn this into a trade thread, but I do hope the Rockets give the Magic a call in the offseason. With the way that team has struggled this year, it's not out of the question that Tracy McGrady could be moved for the right combination of players.

18. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

All this talk is pre-mature, and reflects badly on anyone who is criticizing Francis.

everyone overlooks his 11 assists. He's playing a different game, and has to adjust now towards a team game - sure he's struggling, but the whole reason Marc Jackson was brought in was to help make steve a better point guard and leader.

Steve's a great player, and great players learn to adopt. Steve clear wants to make that adjustment, because that's what it will take to be a champion.

He's frustrated and his game is suffering, well, ya know what...so what. This team isn't supposed to win in the first round this year, it's suppose to make it to the playoffs and have a good first round series.

Rockets lost to a better team. Sacramento is a pressure tested, championship level opponent, and you don't go from lottery to that level in one day. Yao Ming clearly had some developing to do and didn't play well today. Neither did Francis.

But the fact is, despite that, the game wasn't a blow out. Steve may be playing badly, but he is playing hard...so I think that grants him a lot of leeway before people start talking trades

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Count,

I also think Cat is more valuable than Francis for this team right now.

I am not sure the Rockets can get value for Steve at this point....but probably could.....

I would certainly look at what other teams are offering.

NewYorker,

There is truth in your words, but we have been waiting 5 years for Steve to become a smarter more effecient basketball player, and it has not happened yet.

What is it they say about history repeating itself?

DD

20. Black Sheep

Black Sheep Member

And what is his natural game...dribble around and play the iso game, go one and one, what the hell is Francis' game? He is not a shooter ( a good one anyways), he isn't a playmaker ala Stockton, he wants to be a scorer but he forgets the whole team in the process. His defense might have improved but it's negated by lousy play on the other end.

Blame JVG all you want for Francis' downward stats this year, but that doesn't excuse the bonehead plays he's been making. And, yes, it's very evident that SF isn't the ideal point guard for JVG, one of them may have to go after this season and I have a feeling that JVG will win that battle. JVG just has to convince Carroll Dawson and Les Alexander that the Rockets will never be a championship caliber team with Francis and find a deal that will match his contract.