1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis fans need to trust Adelman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by caffreys_irish_ale, Nov 28, 2007.

1. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

The point that many of these fans are ignoring the many red flags that keep playing Steve from being the "obvious" choice they want to believe he is. What he said is if you are calling Adelman an idiot and calling for his head for not playing Steve you might need to put the beer down. It was a joke, perhaps in poor taste, but to say he was calling everyone who sits in the nose bleed an idiot is a pretty far stretch.

Where the fans sit really has nothing to do with the heart of the article, and he certainly never says if you sit in the upper deck your an idiot or a drunk.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

what does adelman know, he just got above .500.

he doesn't have to say "you're an idiot and drunk" he implied, oh yeah and he specifically called out he "nosebleed" seats which is insulting enough like "oh you idiots who can't afford good seats"

the timing of this article was terrible, francis plays and now you criticize fans who wanted him to play?

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

morpheus

you need to read the column again, he directly links the chanters to the callers on sports talk shows. then he says "when they put their beer down".

the column is ridiculous on so many level

4. g1184

g1184 Member

That's more true than anything else. The perspective he writes from also excludes himself as part of this crowd. There's no way he's never yelled at a player as if he could do better himself, or disagreed with a coaching decision or a play out of timeout. Whether he sees it or not, his article oozes hypocrisy.

Sarcasm is not a persuasive form of communication, especially when you alienate your readers by pointing a finger and saying "you" rather than "we." Whatever his goal in writing this piece was, he failed to execute properly and greatly diminished his own credibility.

(1) Sports is entertainment and to those in the stands, nothing more.
    (2) Without drama, sports ratings would take a huge hit (drama = upsets, player controversy - Francis, trades, etc). If every team that was supposed to win, won, would you still watch?
    (3) Steve Francis entertains and produces drama - deriding people for wanting to be entertained is ridiculous.

5. yobod

yobod Member

I've written him a couple of emails, and he's written me back as well. He basically said that his choice of words was poor, and that when he goes to games, he too sits in the nosebleeds. His main point was that he took issue with the fans that have resorted to name-calling (Coach Concrete-head, Coach Rockhead) of Adelman, and that those fans need to take it easy. He has no problem with fans questioning the decision-making of the coaching staff or management, just the way in which they do it.

But then I told him that he is guilty of exactly what he took exception to in the first place. By telling these name-calling fans to put their beer down, he's resorting to the same tactics those fans are. Also, if he wasn't trying to be insulting, then why did he even have to mention where the seats were? By saying that they were in the nosebleeds, he's implying that they are obviously not connected to the sport, like the people in the lower bowl are. He basically said that, again, it was a poor choice of words, and he was just trying to be humorous. I still think he needs to get on the FAILboat, though.

6. g1184

g1184 Member

congratulations action jackson. the one person that did something and brought peace and resolution to the board. you get an A.

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

wtf are you talking about? what dictators do i want? and how does people not caring where iraq is not make them stupid? and how do i not want a winning team???

it doesn't matter who the coach is, or what players we have, or what journalist writes whatever op-ed piece.... the masses will always gravitate to the lowest common denominator.

next.

8. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

superb article...he needs to write after every game :D

9. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Steve isn't the better of the three guards defensively. In fact he is the worst amongst the three he has trouble silding his feet laterally and he looses his man in traffic screens. He still can jump but he doesn't play position defense good at all right now. Steve still has trouble bringing the ball up the floor when he runs the point, he struggles with his ball handling and for some reason from the little time he has gotten he picks his dribble up at half court before he makes high post entry passes. His shooting is eratic and he doesn't seem like he is in the shape to use his one on one skills to get to the basket how we need him to.

What he has done good is move the baksetball and when he has Yao in the low post he knows how to get him the basketball just as good as Tracy can.Suprisingly whne he is in the game the offense runs smoother and everyone get's touches. He also does little things like get a big rebound, he get's out on the break,he finishes and he makes his free throws and he just ends up in the right places. He brings more confidence than Rafer or mike james but he needs to get in shape because he isn't playing that much better than either player to automaticlly deserve free minutes and it's his fault alone that he came into training camp with a attitude like he didn't have to earn playing time.

10. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I think the chants do nothing but call out Adelman publicly, and insult the players that are actually competing on the court.
    You may as well be saying, 'Adelman, you suck', or, 'current players on the court, you suck'.

That could be a distraction to our team winning. But no, we gotta see Steve play. Do we really want a coach who'd cave to every fan that got his ear?

11. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

His overall message is okay. Nothing too profound for us fans in the nosebleed section ...
    But when I read it I pondered ... it just pisses me off to have so many people that know the same or less than the actual fans do. I can always tell who knows the game of basketball and who doesn't. But this guy just sarcastically talks down to every francis fan, making it sound like he is "humble" by saying "i trust the coach" (because that's what he's supposed to say), etc.

It does get tiresome to read some of these type of articles. There are a few who know basketball in the chronicle though ...

I'd rather read stuff from Calvin Murphy ... or Clyde than these people who write the same generic stuff. "Steve is nothing now. Look at his stats in NY ... His injury is too much for him to make a comeback. He dribbles too much." That's all the generic anti-Francis person would say.

I mean the message "trust the coach" is respectable I guess. But I just don't see how he has to talk down to Rockets fans as if he knows more, and diss Francis with the same old stuff that's been said by a lot of people on clutchfans.

12. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Francis fans claim they know more than Adelman. whats the difference?

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yeah right. I'm sure chants from frans are the last thing on this team's mind. These guys are professionals, if they let fans effect their job, they shouldn't be in the NBA. You have to be mentally tough to be an athlete. I'm pretty sure they've heard much worst things than fans chanting for one of their teammates. "WE WANT STEVE" chants are not the reason we are barley over .500.

14. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Interesting. I know a experience coaches and gm suppose to no more, but I have successfully drafted for my teams in previous years as well as several friends and have a better track record than most coaches and scouts. Don't take all fans to be drunks that cannot evaluate talent. Remember Rashard Lewis, now we're in denial, but Rudy Gay, etc. Just to name a few. So if you're a fan and you feel you have exceptional knowledge of the game, screw him he probably knows a lot less. He believes anybody with a NBA job has to be great not necessarily the case, Morey has a lack of real basketball experience, but I think he has done a good job.

15. maw7079

maw7079 Member

Lets send this guy hate mail.

16. StevieCrossover

I can only afford the nose bleeders seats!

17. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

Not only has playin Steve proved to be awesome, but it's making Rafer better. And I never thought I would say that about Rafer!!!!

18. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I bet this guy feels like a dumbass.

I got news for him:

The people with nose bleed seats are the REAL fans, not the corporate crowd who shows up halfway through the game, if at all, and barely cheers, and then leaves well before the game ends.

True Rockets fans know what Francis can do and what he brings to the table.

19. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

haha where is that dumb b**** who wrote this article. Idiot has no idea what he's talking about. So aldeman knows what's his doing huh? I am sure many our rockets fans watched way more Rockets tapes in the past three years than all these coaching staff combined. We know this team, and we know steve. So take that b****! We sitting at the nose bleed session are hardcore rockets fans. Obviously someone sitting at the sideline isn't. Look who's right, Rafer Alston was our best point guard? Yeah right! :D

20. devin23

devin23 Member

If adleman would've played steve major minutes in those 6 game losing streak, we could have won vs memphis, lakers, san antonio, mavericks AND heat...