1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis fans need to trust Adelman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by caffreys_irish_ale, Nov 28, 2007.

1. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Auditioning for who? If he is playing poorly then why would anyone want him? If he is playing well why would we want to trade him? Teams don't make trades based off of one good or bad game or even stretch of games. If Francis out plays Rafer then great, but he hasn't YET. In fact James has actually been the most disappointing, and James, Francis and Bonzi all have worse shooting % than Rafer at this point.

2. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

That's what I've always thought. If they suck, who wants them? If they play well, wouldn't you want to keep them?

And talk about putting shooting in perspective. Rafer has the best percentage out of all of them? Eeek.

3. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

One thing people don't mention is Steve's weak side defense. Something the Rockets sorely lack is somone like an AK-47 that will block you out of nowhere. Not that Steve is nearly as good as AK-47 on defense, but watch Steve change or block a few shots away from the guy he's gaurding.

People on this forum have proven Steve Campbell's hatred toward Steve, but making the fans who care look stupid is downright pathetic.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

RA is the coach, I get it, but what we (Francis fans) are complaining about is that just because he's the coach doesn't mean he's infallible. What drives me nutts is that we as fans want to see SF3 out there. Thats it. We want him in the rotation and playing. Why is it wrong to voice our opinions? I mean, are you saying if Kobe's playing Laker fans don't have the right to boo him? Or if Jason Kidd complains about the Nets championship chances Nets fans can't question his heart? Why does this change with a coach? He is fair game. And I hate to bring up logical fallacies, but just because RA is coach doesn't mean he knows more about basketball better than anyone of the fans or that his opinion is anywhere near infallible. Fallacy of authority and hasty generalization. Now I agree he probably does know more than a lot of Rockets fans, that still does not give anyone the right to shoosh us. I have faith in RA, and I like this team, but if given the chance to increase Francis' playing time i will jump on board. I trust and like RA, and i don't think he should be fired. And Mr. Article writer guy, alcohol can be the stimulus for many a good idea! Descartes came up with the Cartesian coordinate system while royally inebriated, so maybe we shouldn't put down the beer, maybe you should pick one up. Hell, if it weren't for alcohol I don't think baseball would make sense at all.

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

good point, you've seen in the highlights that he has swatted or changed a few shots with help weakside defense. also I've noticed the 3 games he plays, he has a knack to fight for a defensive or offensive rebound with the bigs with no fear.

this is what I like about Steve, I don't care if he doesn't score, because he can do everything else that Rafer and Mike doesn't do, plus Steve is the better defender of the 3.

for the record, I am a Francis fan, was I upset that he wasn't playing? Sure. Was I questioning the team and/or Adelman's decisions? nope. Did I join in the We Want Steve chants? sure did for all fun, but I didn't boo for him not playing. I do want Francis to play but its not the end of the world. I am fully confident Steve will be major player before seaon's end, but if not I am still a ROCKETS FAN!

#65 Dave2000, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  6. rocketsmetalspd

RA has also gotten older and maybe his keen eyes have betray him on evaluating his bench. SF3 brings in the energy and toughness needed to help the team. I believe if given the same amount of slack that RA gives Rafer, SF3 can have better numbers.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I actually agree with you, but Rafer has been getting majority minutes while making minority contributions. That's my problem.

8. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Steve's defense has never been his strong point historically. He is atheletic enough to block a few shots, but that really isn't a key attribute of a PG. Certainly he is no where near AK47.

As for the article, from my perspective it only called out the fans who were bashing Rick Adelman with idiot and other deragatory blasts because the coach isn't starting the guy on the bench who to this point hasn't earned the starting job. It wasn't a blanket "if you are a fan who questions the coach then you must be drunk" blast like some of you are making it out to be. The article pretty clearly states that it is possible Adelman is wrong. The point is that there is plenty of supporting evidence to state that his decision to bench Steve up to this point has been justified. The blasts may be in poor taste, but they were directed at those who ignore that evidence as if it doesn't exist.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i don't mean to toot francis's horn because its a long season, but the thing that absolutely bothers me about articles like this is you know good and well these writers have expected francis to blow up. they were all over him for supposedly pouting the first few games. well francis actually got in shape and he actually didn't complain so they need something else to talk about.

10. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

I find it funny that you have over 5,000 post with said "peons". Maybe you're looking in the mirror. If people in general are stupid, I don't see how this country made it without the dictators that you seem to want, that keep money moving through shows you can choose not to watch, that don't care where Iraq is, and that might actually want a winning team and choose to write an opinion in a forum that is kept alive through such opinions.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You and Steve Campbell should sex.....

12. cavevato

cavevato Member

Why would anyone want the Rockets to be like every other team who doesnt have 5 real scoring threats? We should try to be better than the rest, not trying to be like the rest. That means dont copy San Antonio, Dallas, Phx, or any other elite team, cause then you also copy their weakness'ss'ss's. Most of the better teams play quality defense, what better way to put pressure on their D-fense than to have threats on all areas of the floor.

Its not only Chuck and Rafer its also Battier. In Chuck's and Battier defense, their "would be" replacements havent really played any better. In Rafers case M. James hasnt played any better either, but there is Francis. I am perplexed to why hes been shunned by Adelman. If its not a vendetta, then what could the reason be, it cant possibly be based on his competitions performance. If it is, then us fans have every right to question his decisions. As far as the fans chanting for Stevie, it would probably be better if they change it to "We love Steve" as I think thats basically what they mean anyways. :cool:

13. Raven

Raven Member

Chronicle Sport's columnist seem more interested in trolling for attention than actually offering valuable insight. Justice is the worst, but this guy doesn't seem far behind. Don't even get me started on Fran Blinebury. His live game updates are like a parody of Billy Bob Thorton in Bad Santa - burned out and bitter.

14. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

The way this board has been with "Fire Adelman/Play Francis"...this article was very much needed.

15. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Strangest thing is most are going after the slight on the the fans, instead of taking note on the meat of the article about Francis not being in the lineup.

I *LIKE* Steve Francis, and want him to do well, but most here would probably call me a Francis basher because I believe that Francis messed up in training camp and preseason leading to his lack of playing time so far. To note, he is in much better shape, and is actually doing some positives with the PT he gets in the games. Which has led to more PT.

16. OpusX

OpusX Rookie

I just sent this hack an email thanking him for a good reason to cancel my Chron subscription. :p

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

I wrote Steve Campbell of the Houston Chronicle an email with essentially the same comments I posted here. He wrote back almost immediately, and made several really nice remarks. I was impressed with both the speed and content of his response. Essentially, he said Adelman has a good deal of experience and will likely work things out and if he doesn't he will be held accountable, that he is probably not thrilled with Rafer being his first option right now, that he didn't intend to put down the fans, just using humor, etc. He was very cordial and said that he appreciated that while I disagreed, I didn't attack him. That is a lesson I wish many posters on this board could learn.Thanks Steve, for being a "good sport."

18. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

Well that's nice to hear, but he sounds more like a politician saying I didn't have sex with that woman. sorry but he needs to write an article about how the fans in the lower central bowl need to show up to games instead of calling the upper bowl fans a bunch of drunk idiots.

19. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

He never called the upper bowl fans a bunch of drunk idiots. Your implying alot more than is actually there. He took a shot at fans who are calling the coach an idiot because Adelman isn't playing Francis, while those same fans ignore the red flags that have justified Francis not playing. Perhaps his wording and style are in poor taste, but it isn't the blanket "if you sit in the nose bleed and disagree with the coach you must be drunk" blast that some of you are making it out to be.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

let me see, he mentioned nosebleed, he mentioned beer, he mentioned the francis chant, he mentioned how they don't know more than the coach and even referenced what they could see from those seats.

what point would you say he was trying to make?