1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Franchising Mario Wiliams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by 45souf, Feb 14, 2012.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I love Mario, but I can't see him being back.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I'm telling you guys, the cap number isn't going to be the issue, it's all going to be about the guaranteed money. The cap is going to increase exponentially after this year, if Mario's contract is reasonable in its first two years (when we have our greatest financial needs), then we should be able to get him back.

However, if he wants his money now now now, he's probably gone.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The Bucs have a lot of money to spend. Of course, they had a lot of money offseason and sat on it. It would not surprise me at all to see them make a big run at Mario.

the Super Bowl contending thing is less pronounced in the NFL than other sports. Teams go from 6-10 to the playoffs with frequency. Mario and his agent probably already know that.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I think I agree with this post.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I completely agree with you that if Mario is willing to be flexible with how his contract is organized, we can keep him. I just don't think he's going to be.

6. DonnyMost

Any reason you feel that way?

Mario earned a buttload of money this year, so he's not exactly hurting to pay the bills.

Guaranteed money is the name of the game, whether he gets it tomorrow or in 2 years shouldn't be a huge deal, I would think.

He's playing well, the team is a legit superbowl contender, it seems to be a good fit for everyone.

I can't see the Texans letting themselves get outbid (by much) on guaranteed money. Upfront money yes. But overall $$$, no.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

1. A dollar today is worth more than a dollar two years from now
    2. Mario has a chance to become the highest plaid defensive player in history considering the teams with cap space and the future cap growth. I just can't imagine the Texans spending that kind of dough on him.
    3. Mario is very lavish in his spending. Very. I don't think he has any interest in leaving money on the table.
    4. The idea of the team being a winner doesn't carry weight in the NFL when you've gone to the playoffs ONCE. Fortunes change way too quickly in the NFL.

Ultimately I think with the franchise tag off the table the Texans just aren't going to be able to keep him. I'd love to be wrong if that meant Mario is back on a reasonable deal and the Texans can make all the other moves they need to make. I just don't think that is realistic.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Man... capology in the NFL is a tough cookie to crack. You really can't make any strong assessments because contracts can be renegotiated. Now, more so than ever, I feel like there's just no way to predict anything until we get into free agency.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Re-sign or gone, no franchise tag(?).

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

true, there is more parody but you can't tell me that the foundation the texans have and their future is not looking better than most.

But, if Mario just wants the higher dollar value alone then yeah, he's probably gone. I just think that a team is going to have to offer a crazy amount over market value to lure him away from the texans

11. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Arian, our O-linemen Myers and Brisiel, and the other team needs - WR, for example - should all be priority for the Texans' money over Mario imo.

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

As a Cowboys fan, I'd have no problem whatsoever with Dallas if they spent a boatload of money on Mario Williams.

If there's one thing I have come to learn over the past couple of years being a Cowboys fan, it's that you can never have enough pass rushers. I think it would be a mistake for the Texans to let Mario Williams go.

13. DonnyMost

One thing to consider, Mario is 27 and has a lot of prime football left to play. He was our entire pass rush for the last 4 years. Wade came in and turned water to wine, yes, but how long will Wade stick around? Not as long as Mario Williams, IMO.

You don't let elite level players walk if you can avoid it, especially if they're not on the wrong end of 30.

14. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

15. DonnyMost

Love to hear that.

He wants contract security and guaranteed money.

Being the highest paid player in a given year shouldn't (and it looks like it doesn't) mean anything to him.

Git r' done.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Its easy to say you're not about money... until someone offers a ****load of money. I like where his head is at. Just hope it stays that way.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yeah no kidding. I hope we can get a deal done before he hits the market.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I read that as a very diplomatic FA spiel.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

When an athlete say its not about the money. It means its all about the money.