1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Franchising Mario Wiliams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by 45souf, Feb 14, 2012.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I thought the franchise number was based on how the top 5 players at the position were paid.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Since his franchise tag number is so high and he's coming off two season ending injuries in a row, I'm guessing trading him would be nigh impossible.

Plus, there's this:

Essentially, once July 15 comes, you can't trade a franchise tagged player.

If he gets tagged, I think the likelihood of a long term deal getting done before the in-season deadline is very likely.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Charlie P has been saying this since the offseason began.

Here is Johnny Mac:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/01/mcclain-tough-decisions-await-texans/

4. DonnyMost

It's the average of the top 5 salaries at that position over the past 5 years or 120% of your previous year's salary, whichever is higher.

In Mario's case, 120% is higher.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I've seen people recently claim his 2011 cap number was $18M, leading to the $22M tag number.

Could be everyone running with a mistaken number that originated with one guy (pass the syrup)....or it could be that we need to re-verify the accuracy of the number we've been sticking with ($13M).

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

got it. thanks!

7. justtxyank

Correct. The dispute seems to be on how much Mario actually made. John McClain says he made 18 million which I believe is what Charlie P has been saying. Remember, it's not just his base salary, it's all bonuses and incentives as well.

Anyway, I'm not sure they can really afford him on a 16 million one year deal either.

8. DonnyMost

The numbers don't jibe with what pancakes is saying. He made 13.8 million in salary last year, 1.35 million in bonuses, 15.15 million cap hit. His franchise number would be just north of 16MM.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/50566/mario-williams-and-the-franchise-tag

Unless there was a performance bonus he got (I can't imagine that seeing as how he only played 5 games), or there was some hidden clause that he got a bonus for simply finishing his contract here, I don't believe this to be the case.

1 person likes this.
  9. justtxyank

Well I hope he is wrong. I still don't think they can afford him at 16+ million and make everything else work.

His cap number last year was too high, to increase it would be crazy. On a long term deal it makes sense because you can spread the hit and put the weight of it on the years where the cap blows up. But this coming season it will be hard to make things happen if it you actually raise Mario's number.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Whatever McClain says (unless it's something the Texans spoon-feed him, like an official announcement), just assume the opposite extreme and you'll be a lot closer to being right.

11. DonnyMost

His cap number last year was 15 million and well worth it (except for the whole injury thing). 16 million as an insurance policy is completely reasonable to keep him from walking away.

I don't believe it will come to that though, and I think Mario will get a lucrative, very backend loaded contract and we'll all hold hands and sing songs as we kick ass and chew bubble gum on our way to the Super Bowl each of the next 3 years.

12. justtxyank

LOL, except for the fact that he missed the majority of the season he was well worth 15 million? That's hilarious.

Mario gets hurt a lot. He's not worth that money and he's certainly not worth being the highest paid defensive player in the league.

I am perfectly fine with that as long as it doesn't cost them Arian or Myers. Ideally Id like them to be able to sign a FA WR as well.

13. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Hopefully Foster and Williams think like Lebron and Wade and settle for less than the max so they could keep Houston legitimate contenders.

14. DonnyMost

He's an elite player. You can't factor a freak injury into what a guy is worth in hindsight.

Whatever.

LOL.

That's misleading in the context of a franchise tag situation. You also realize his salary last year was the result of a backloaded contract, right? He wasn't getting paid 15MM ever year for 6 years... in fact, he was getting peanuts before that. Sometimes you have to pay a guy more *now* to pay him less *later*. Have a little bit of foresight.

Sounds like you're making up your mind about Mario prematurely. You have no idea what it will cost them in terms of FA. It's a long offseason. Slow down on eating the pancakes.

#54 DonnyMost, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

My question is, and I don't trust any beat writer so far (the regurgitation train) is, where there additional incentives in the contract last year that he didn't make due to the injury? Cap figures are based on the max a player could earn each year (plus the spread out bonus), so his true cap figure could have been more than what he actually earned. If that cap figure is what dictates the tag, it would account for the discrepancy. Need an NFL CBA guru to chime in.

But I agree: regardless if the tag number is 22M, 18M, 16M, or even 12M...that's going to put too much pressure on the 2012 cap to make things work with Arian and/or Myers. And I'm simply not on board with losing those two in order to keep Mario.

We keep coming back to the same conclusion:
    Mario HAS to take a backloaded deal with a minimal 2012 number in order for Rick Smith to thread the needle.

And that means it all comes down to one thing - does Mario want to be in Houston above all else. Other teams (like Tampa) can offer things that could potentially screw us:
    Big signing bonus (we'll be limited, since you can't backload the bonus cap number)
    Frontloaded deal (players know a backloaded balloon is usually monopoly money)
    A return to a 4-3 (if that's something he prefers)

We CAN keep him...but he's got to want to stay a Texan more than he wants the best contract out there.

Not picking a fight, but I think that he CAN be an elite player but is not currently one. He's struggled to be a top 7 DE end over the course of his career, and injuries do count. I'm sure he can return to the Pro Bowl, but until he does, I'm more inclined to look at his past 3 years - which paint him as a good pass rusher, but decidedly second tier.

#55 emjohn, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  16. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

Mario falls into the category of players that aren't the best at their position, but are just good enough that you have to pay them as if they were.

Similar to Joe Johnson, Melo, and Amare in the NBA.

Should be interesting to see what route the Texans take.

17. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Cat - do the Texans use John McClain as their own personal

[​IMG]

??

Is he on their payroll?

1 person likes this.
  18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i don't know why people are even wasting their breath on trying to figure out the franchise tag cost...he's not going to be franchised. No matter what the number, it's too much of a salary cap burden given the other areas that need to be signed.

19. DonnyMost

If his franchise number is 16, it may well happen.

If it's 22, then it's much less likely.

Those two numbers are worlds apart and a smaller franchise tag amount gives the Texans a LOT more leverage in the contract negotiations.

It's very important.

20. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

Naw, I think Arian will be franchised.

The FO will want squeeze one more year out of him before guaranteeing long term money.