1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

France under attack by Islamists (including Erdogan)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 29, 2020.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Erdogan and Trump are probably the two people who present the most risk to global peace moving forward. Xi, Modi, and Putin are basically all on standby waiting to see what happens with those two because that determines what happens to NATO. If Trump wins its almost certain he’ll both get out of NATO and give Erdogan cover to leave as well completely reconfiguring global order.

If Biden wins I think there can be the type of NATO recommitment that forces Erdogan into good behavior... or he could just leave anyways. I don’t think there is any way to peacefully remove him and I don’t think we want to look like hypocrites for lambasting the Russians interfering in our elections even though our cause here would be just.

I don’t know how it’ll shake out but one things certain is that Trump cannot be re-elected. Without the US holding NATO together Turkey becomes the free agent that shakes up the world in a terrible way if they haven’t yet already done so and in NATO in title only.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Erdogan didn't just go with the flow. He came to power and remains in power because of his support of Islamist. He's transformed what had been a largely secular state.

Yung-T, jiggyfly, Rashmon and 4 others like this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

Great.
    On top of everything there is 7 richter earthquake and tsunami that Erdogan (and we) have to deal with today.
    Many buildings dropped down in Izmir (4 million population).
    I don't know how dead over there yet but it certainly won't help his economy.

Luckily so far in Greece noone seems to have died.
    People are such idiots. Because they never seen a tsunami before because it doesn't happen here they took videos and photos while walking towards it.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

A lot of Muslims need to understand that non-Muslims couldn't give two ***** about their religous practice of never drawing Muhammad. If you don't want to draw Muhammad, that's your decision. Don't force other people who don't follow your religon to adhere to the same ideas.

What frustrates me the most here is so many French Muslims and Muslims in Islamic countries are equating the beheadings to drawing cartoons and are absolutely disgusted by the attacks. Disgusting. Any Muslim who does that needs to stop it.

From all the American Muslims I've interacted with, they get this. They understand that they can't compel non-Muslims to not draw Muhammad. But American Muslims tend to be the most secular/rational group of Muslims on the planet.

DVauthrin, Yung-T, Nook and 2 others like this.
  5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Religion only remains supreme if the deities are unassailable. If you allow satire or criticism, the cracks in the veneer humanizes and weakens them.
    You know, like The Pope is infallible etc. etc. etc.

Yung-T and malakas like this.
  6. SuraGotMadHops

Then Jesus Christ came and fixed all that.

7. Dubious

Then humans perverted it.

8. s3ts

s3ts Member

Islam in general is not a religion of peace. There are plenty of peaceful followers, but they're only peaceful by choice. Their religious text is very violent, so was the central figure of the religion itself. Everyone needs to accept this -- Muslims and Non-Muslims alike.

I'll legitimize only the sects of Islam that are more spiritual in nature. Ahmadiyah, Sufi, etc. Very few Muslims are actually like this.

Yung-T and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. Dubious

No religion is peaceful when leaders pervert the the message and manipulate the people. Hell, Buddhist have gone violent in Sri Lanka.

jiggyfly, dmoneybangbang and malakas like this.
  10. fchowd0311

You don't really need to pervert Muhammad's message to justify violence.

Yung-T, Nook and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

No major religion is a religion of peace.

12. fchowd0311

True the Old Testament has plenty of violent doctrine. I would say there is a nuanced difference between Christianity and Islam. In Islam, the most idolized human was a career tribal war leader who owned slaves and had a harem of women to **** while in Christianity the most idolized human (Jesus) was a pacifist celibate hippie.

When we criticize modern Christians, especially American Christians we lambast them for how far removed they are from Jesus' message and way of life. That isn't the case with extremist Muslims. Because we know Muhammad was knee deep in violence and pillaging.

13. Dubious

All wars are economic, Religion and Counties are just how we choose sides.
    -Dubious- 1991

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What if we are at world against machines ?

15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Call me old fashioned, but sacrilegious imagery is far less offensive than genocide.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Science Channel should make a program about modern aliens.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Obviously, I'm not happy about the Islamist terror attacks in France. And, I'm not pleased with Erdagoyan. I think we need to toss Turkey out of NATO and other Western institutions because he has clearly led them out of the Western world. But because I'm half-French, I think about what France does. And, I'm pretty ashamed. We've done a **** job of assimilating Muslims in France. Lots of racism and xenophobia and religious persecution. And, while I believe in the freedom of expression that led to this problem, I also know they're a bunch of dicks at Charlie Hebdo. Yes, they should be free to publish what they want. But everyone with an ounce of education knows what a taboo for a Muslim it would be to draw Mohammad. So, you're a dick when you do it just to piss them off. And you shouldn't be murdered for it but you're still a dick. And given all the murdering that has come from it, I understand all the pressures to stand in solidarity with Charlie Hebdo and to defy attempts to force them to self-censor. But, I'd like to see somewhere some admission that it was a shitty thing for them to do in the first place. Muslims face discrimination and hostility at every turn in France. The lashing out with knife murders is a poor reaction. But France now is doubling-down on the persecution that generates the problem.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn. Haven't heard anything about this. Very sorry to hear about Izmir. I've been there and an earthquake and tsunami could do a lot of damage.

malakas likes this.
  19. Dubious

I have never understood what the machine's motivation would be?

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Machines that were programmed to save humanity realize that problem is humanity.
    Nobody kills more humans than humans or destroys the planet.
    So the machines create machines to destroy the humans