1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

France is using its broad suspension of civil liberties to detain environmental activists

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Nov 29, 2015.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Depends on whether it is safe to do so. In principle, yes, but if there are indications that there could still be an active terror threat to the marches and that some activists who have been violent in the past would resort to violence again, then there might be reasons for police to come up with some restrictions.

I also agree that Germany should have been able to play a football match against Holland, but that was called off due to security concerns as well.

Greenpeace should thank the Islamist murderers. Without them, Greenpeace could have marched.

In any case, I am much more upset because of the terror attacks in Paris than because of some violent activists being stopped from being violent and some environmentalists not being able to march in a specific place at a specific time.

You seem more upset by the latter.

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Other public gatherings including soccer matches are set to go in Paris during the summit period.

Unless there were specific and credible threats directed to environmentalists, why would police in France stop public demonstrations with regards to green issues, but not soccer matches, trade fairs, and Christmas markets? The way the police has behaved in this instance and without any public disclosure of specific and credible threats as we saw with the Germany incident suggests otherwise.

And if it is unsafe for protesters to protest, why would it be safe to hold the summit in the first place?

As your director in France said:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Euro...arrested-24-activists-ahead-of-climate-summit

Do you agree with him?

3. Northside Storm

Wow, way to imply my position on something after flipping out about having their position implied.

You owe me an apology on this one ATW. You know how upset I was about Paris, you were there with me in that terrible thread. To even bring this up is super low and below-the-belt.

J'ai un sentiment de solidarité avec la France que vous ne comprendrez jamais. You will never understand what it feels like to see France attacked from Quebec.

Life goes on, and it must. There must be new topics debated, and a terrible crime doesn't warrant a violation of rights. Two wrongs never make a right.

But don't ever think that means I have forgotten.

#43 Northside Storm, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The safety of the attendees has to be addressed first - before that of the ancillary protesters. Cancelling these rallies likely ensures a higher level of safety for the attendees and the protesters.

Not all protests, rallies, and marches have been cancelled. However, the cancellation of the few events did not include the detainment of 7,000 people - just 24.

5. Northside Storm

What protestors, all public marches are banned, you realize that right? If the French police can arrest people for petitioning for a protest, nothing stops them from arresting anybody violating the "emergency law" besides media attention. There is absolutely no law that protects peaceful protesters from being arrested at any time.