1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fragility

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Nov 14, 2003.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I missunderstood,

anyway, I wouldn't exactly call the way they finished last year crumbling. They beat one team with a better record and lost to one team with a losing record and in the rest of the games, they beat teams with worse records and lost to teams with better ones. Their problem last was early season losses to the likes of Miami, Cleveland, Chicago, New York, etc.

2. riskmetrics

riskmetrics Member

You're both right. Growing up is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced. Hopefully, we all have patience to witness that painful process...

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

But down the stretch, they were big games. So I don't buy this excuse that they haven't seen big games yet.

4. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Steve did have a monster game in a big game last year against the Lakers. That was a big game and he was unstoppable. But the key is that he did not get his teammates involved in that game.

5. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

After all of this talk we will finish the week (yes Sunday is this week) with a stella 7-2 record.

Just wanted to injet a little optimism and "how_sweet_it_is" feeling on the forum today. I trully believe JCG will cue our ills.

6. sweetie

sweetie Member

Steve is the best player on the team yet gets all the blame for Mings incompetance. Ming = fragile.

Mings gets 1 foul,then he loses all aggressiveness trying to avoid more fouls. Mings gets 1 offensive foul called,he loses all motivation to bully guys over. Ming gets dunked on,he no longer goes for the block for the rest of the game much less put guys on their backs.

Whats with the love effection for Ming so much that people think JVG fragile term is automatically not directed toward Ming? Ming might be the most fragile(weak minded) guy on the team. Hes not the dumbest player,(thats Steve) but he is very SCARED. Atleast thats the way it looks,either that or he just has maxed out his physical talent already.

7. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

I think what Jeff meant is that his players did not execute like he wants them to wheather they're under pressure or whatever. They simply did not execute like passing into the big man more often. That's fragile.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Good point.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Sort of except for the passing into the big man part. Yao is included in my assessment, not separate from it.

10. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

So by you're logic, Juan Dixon is a better player than steve? Just because he got his team to the finals and won it all.

11. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

So of two best players on our team, one is a dumbass, the other is a coward. That make me feel really........

12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I agree about Yao, but Steve is only the second "dumbest" point guard on the Rockets.
    ;)

Seriously, though, I think they'll have it all together in a few years. They'll never be Stockton and Malone, but they'll be able to compete in this league. Those blown fast breaks and tip-aways by Bradley were infuriating to watch last night, but at least it pointed out the team's weaknesses to them against one of the premiere teams. Let's hope they're able to fix what they can't deny as soon as possible.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Another point JVG made about fragility was players panicking and not sticking to the plan when things are not working just right.

An example of that last night was in the second half last night. The Rockets were just not hitting there shots with any kind of consistancy. Cat got the ball and inistead of sticking to the offense like he had done all night he tried to go one on one against the Dallas zone when there were better obvioius options on the floor. Cat ended up throwing up a wild ass shot that did nothing and JVG promptly took him out of the game and gave him a nice rest.

I think that those are the types of things that JVG is talking about. Don't panic because shots are not falling, instead just control those things you have control of like staying in the offense. That means if the defense dictates you pass the ball to an open man then that is what you do so long as it is with in the scheme of the offense. You have to let the player shooting the ball worry about making the shot and not let it have a negitive effect on your decission making. When you have an open shot then you worry about making it, in the mean time just try and continue to make good decissions and work the ball around to the best possible shot. If you start making bad decissions because shots are not falling then you only worsen the problem and that is when a 5 point defecit can turn into a 15 point deficit.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I should have also added, making good passes and playing good defense which the Rockets only did well in spurts last night.