1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOXSports] Parcells in talks with Falcons

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by countingcrow, Dec 18, 2007.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7581372?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=4975

Sources: Parcells talking with Falcons

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com

Bill Parcells is officially in play.

In an attempt to correct the Bobby Petrino debacle, the Atlanta Falcons are talking to the current ESPN analyst and two-time Super Bowl-winning coach about a job as the team's executive vice president, FOXSports.com has learned.

In fact, Parcells and Falcons owner Arthur Blank have had discussions within the past few days, and it appears the communication is much more substantial than exploratory talks.

It's long been assumed that Parcells wants to take a front-office job rather than jump back into coaching. Although with Parcells, one never knows.

The Falcons are hoping to have an answer in the coming days, but obviously would wait for Parcells to make a decision.

However, the Falcons may not be the only team vying for the future Hall of Famer's services. Parcells could have a choice between the Falcons and Miami Dolphins, who have also reached out to Parcells, according to league sources.

Clearly if Blank can lure Parcells to Atlanta it would be a major coup for a franchise in desperate need of any positive news.

Several league sources say that Parcells has recently called around for opinions on coaches and personnel people.

Parcells will likely be able to write his own ticket wherever he lands.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Anyone else hate Parcells? God I hate that clown.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Parcells needs to stay retired.

4. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

The Falcons should go after Cowher.

5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Parcells is perhaps the most overrated coach in the history of the game. He hasn't done a thing with his defensive coordinator Bill Billicheck whose about to win his 4th Superbowl. I would put him in the same category as John Gruden another one of those guy who hasn't done a thing after takeover a team Tony Dungy built from the ground up. Anyway good luck trying to fix that Falcons teams. They have so many holes that Vick made it look them look good with his ability. Time to rebuild the team by drafting a franchise QB in the draft maybe Matt Ryan.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Didn't Parcells win 2 super bowls with the Giants? Was that with Belichick? Serious question cause I don't know.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

He already turned them down.

8. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

As a suffering Atlanta fan, I wanted Cowher (obviously). Knew it wasnt going to happen. I would be happy with Schottenheimer. Parcells gets results, but I dont know if he has the patience to rebuild this team.

9. WildSweet&Cool

I have always wanted the Texans to pursue a proven coach, like Cowher. I don't necessarily like Parcells, but he's a damn good coach.

10. conquistador#11

i love the big tuna! making war references during his press conferences, what's not to like? He also builds a team by defense first. I think he is the only one that agreed with the texans on drafting super mario. In any case, I think the falcons would be easily satisfied just having him around as an advisor. " joey harrington can't play QB" :)

11. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I agree. He doesnt get enough credit for basically building the current Cowboys team.

12. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Yes he won 2 SB's with the Giants

Bill Belichick was the defensive coordinator for both SB teams.

13. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I'm not sure how much I think this is a good move...

Based on his time as "GM" in Dallas - the only location I believe he's had the ability to "shop for the groceries where he was cooking the dinner" - his M.O. has been to bring in former players that were loyal to him (bledsoe, glenn, keyshawn, richie anderson, aaron glenn)

I'm not sure how much say he's had in draft picks...

He's been remarkable in turning franchises around (Pats,Jets) - but in both locations he had Belichick's help as the D coordinator.

In Dallas he was on his own - but a lot of the moves made had Jerry's hands all over them...

14. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Not so fast...
    Bill Parcells and the Atlanta Falcons had a deal in principle Tuesday night. By Wednesday afternoon, it was gone. The team said Parcells "would not be signing a contract with us" and that he is "considering a revised offer from the Miami Dolphins."

Parcells says no to Blank

15. armyman7894

armyman7894 Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/12/19/bc.fbn.falcons.parcells.ap/index.html

Parcells won't join Falcons

ATLANTA (AP) -- Bill Parcells will not be joining the Atlanta Falcons as head of football operations.

Parcells turned down the position, Falcons owner Arthur Blank said Wednesday in a statement. Blank said the team had an agreement in principle with Parcells, but after he told the Falcons he was considering an offer from the Miami Dolphins, negotiations fell through.

"We gave it our best shot, and it didn't work out," Blank said.

Parcells was considering an offer to join the team's front office as vice president of football operations, a role that would put him in charge of finding the next coach for a team rocked by the suspension and imprisonment of Michael Vick and the sudden resignation of Bobby Petrino.

The announcement that talks broke down with Parcells leaves the makeup of the Falcons' front office, and their search for a replacement for coach Bobby Petrino, in question.

Falcons president and general manager Rich McKay's future with the team appeared uncertain if Parcells came aboard. Parcells had told The Daily News in New York he would "probably" accept the Atlanta offer, would plan to hire a general manager and then work with that person to hire a new coach to replace Petrino, who quit last week 13 games into his first season to coach at Arkansas.

It appears unlikely McKay will remain with the team in his present role even though Parcells turned down the position.

Blank added that the Falcons remain committed to "looking at every option for building a championship-caliber team for our fans."

"I have stated we will leave no stone unturned in doing so, and this effort is one example of that," Blank said.

The courtship with Parcells may have no real effect on the team's search for a new coach. The Falcons are expected to wait at least until the end of the regular season to begin serious talks with candidates.

Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene declined comment, saying the organization does not discuss rumors.

"Really?" defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday said when told by The AP about Parcells' apparent interest in the Dolphins. "You can't control it. But somebody like the Big Tuna, regardless of who's in the front office or who's not, brings a lot of respect and a lot of credibility with him. He's a Hall of Famer. If you're a free agent out there, that might draw you in."

Parcells is not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The story broke as many Dolphins were playing cards and dominoes in the locker room after practice, and instantly, many of them began turning heads toward the televisions scattered about the room.

It didn't take long for even the mere mention of Parcells to create a buzz in Miami.

"I have a lot of respect for what he's been able to do in other places and I'd expect, if he did come in here, for him to do the same," Holliday said. "I don't know what's going to happen upstairs. I have no idea. I have a lot of respect for (GM) Randy Mueller, as well. But my interest is in what's best for this team and getting us in the right direction."

16. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Well, thats unfortunate...

Dolphins or Falcons....

crap or crap? Which shall I choose?

17. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I love how the author of this article immediately corrects Holliday, rofl.