1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FoxSports.com]- Bush or Young? Let's Settle This Debate

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by askball, Jan 10, 2006.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i saw that poll. i guarantee you a Chronicle poll would be different.

in addition, this poll immediately follows an article saying they SHOULD draft Reggie Bush. i'm thinking that skews the poll tremendously.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I thought it was pretty good too, except he did imply that people only realized how good vince is.

3. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everybody just needs to put the debate over VY/reggie aside for one minute, and take the time to feel very thankful that we even have this argument. I mean, what if we had the first pick in last years draft? I, for one, feel blessed that we are debating over who to draft out of two of the most exciting players of recent memory!

with that being said.......

BRING ON VINCE.......WE ARE STILL RECOVERING FROM THE LAST BUSH THAT WAS IN TEXAS!

ok....recommence the debate!

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

that's sig material right there.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I think that's a pretty good pole actually. A nationwide poll taken with a pro-Bush article written around it, after a full season of Bush Heisman pumping.............and Vince still pulled 45% of the vote.

You're right. Give that poll to Houstonians and Vince pulls over 80%.

6. MadMax

i'm sure that poll will eventually be done by the Chronicle. i will be very interested to see how it turns out. honestly, wouldn't surprise me to see an 85% pro-Vince return.

7. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

The article failed to address the leadership qualities that VY would bring to the team. VY has been the cornerstone for extremely successful H.S. and College programs. From some of the recent grumblings, it looks like the team itself has lost faith in David Carr. We need to bring in guys that can step up and be good example of the team. Look at what McGrady has done for the Rockets. Look at what the Killer B's have done for the Astros. The Texans need that.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I personally didn't think Vince was much of a qb prospect till the OSU game last season. When they were down 35-7 at home they had a drive at the end of the 1st half that started with less than 2 minutes on the clock. I said while watching that game, and there is a thread on it when I said, that Vince is gonna show us what he's made of if he can operate the 2 minute drill. That's the drive where Thomas looked like he didn't get in the end zone off a Young pass but then I knew he was NFL material.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=86366&page=1&pp=30

9. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

intangibles:

vince = leader

carr?

bush?

vince has a will to win like i haven't seen before. i liken it to elway in that superbowl. i'm not saying vince = elway in any other way. however, leadership and will-to-win seem scarce in today's NFL.
    i'm not necessarily saying that the Texans should draft vince or that vince is a better football player that bush (or carr.) however, i think these factors should be taken into account while making the decision on who to draft.
    the Texans need a MAJOR overhaul. do people not realize that they won TWO games this year? "drafting vince would dictate a major overhaul for the Texans." really? i wonder why?
    please...

10. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Remember kubiak is an aggie ;)

11. IC2000

Its fair to say that we could have easily won 5-6 games. I mean the san fran game for sure, st louis , tennessee, and Baltimore. I really think they were tanking.

12. MadMax

this is what i don't get. do you remember how bad our defense was? maybe we beat SF. but the rams loss wasn't because the offense couldn't move the ball...they moved the ball and scored quite well. but their defense couldn't contain the magic of a 3rd string Ivy League QB.

i don't think they were tanking. i think they freaking sucked. i think they had rookies starting at key DB positions....and i think buchannon was as bad as raiders fans said he was. the OL improved over the year...but that still wasn't saying much. Carr looked like he was moving backwards...and that started happening toward the end of last year. DD was actually a bright spot for me, this season. but i can't think of many other bright spots. not quality starters...no depth. maybe 2 players would be sure starters on any other team in the league.

13. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

EIGHTY PERCENT? :eek:

The poll on SportRadio610 has Young at 54%, Bush at 43% and 3% trade. So, maybe picking him is not QUITE as popular as some of yall might think.

14. MadMax

those are hardcore sports fans signing into a sports radio website. that's not what i'm talking about. most aren't as freakish about sports as we all are. that's not the poll i'm concerned with.

15. anon3803

anon3803 Member

The article among with many others mention that "one great game" shouldn't be enough to move VY over Leinart or Bush. However they fail to mention that it was "one great game" (alright admittedly 1 and a half) that catapulted Bush over VY in the Heisman polls. Then everyone jumped on the Bush bandwagon and the rest is history. I distinctly remember VY having a "comfortable" lead over Bush in the weekly Heisman polls up until the Fresno State game.

I mean to put it into prespective Reggie didn't even break Steve Breaston's mark for all-purpose yards in last year's Rose Bowl. Not to take anything away from Bush, we all know he's a great player, but I don't see his performances translating him into a mega-star in the NFL. We all saw how Texas's fast defense was able to limit him, and NFL defenses are just as fast if not faster. However when he gets open he takes off faster than I think I've ever seen anyone take off :eek:. But Reggie is also not a every down back despite his claims otherwise.

The Texans, from what I've read, (and I admit I'm not the most informed on their motives) have consistently stated their intention to pick Bush with the No. 1 pick. Everyone knows the smart move would be to trade down and pick up a few good linemen, afterall that's obviously what the Texans need. However, a highlight reel player like Bush brings people to the stadium, and others to their sofas in front of the TV. Vick is a perfect example of this. So clearly this isn't so much about winning as it is about $$. And if it is about $$ the Texans would be smart to draft Young. Being a native Houstonian he would instantly boost interest in the team, increase merchandise sales, and help fill the stadium every Sunday. From what I've heard he was even drawing huge crowds when he was playing for Madison. So in conclusion that's why I think the Texans should draft VY. I think they're still leaning toward Bush, but there will be a lot of pressure put on the Texans over the next few months to lean the other way.

16. IC2000

The texans have no problems putting people in the seats. The empty seats this year were mostly no shows. That means people paid for the seats and then did not show. I agree Young would sell jerseys, but so would bush. Both are good picks for $$$. Young would be better initially. But right now the texans need to show a quick improvement (before they lose more and more fans). Bush is good for the team now and the future. vince is a project.

17. MadMax

the texans have enjoyed a honeymoon phase. they've enjoyed continued success for the first 3 years. that phase is now over. it started to be over during the browns game the year before.

YOU THINK bush is good now. you don't know. that's what i'm finding to be so frustrating in these arguments. the assumption that we KNOW that bush can play right away with no question marks and will necessarily translate to more wins next season. it's entirely possible that doesn't happen. just as it's entirely possible that VY never pans out as an NFL QB.

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Funny :) A QB who passed for over 3000 yards, rushed for 1000 and had the highest passing rating in the nation is a "project" but a part time RB who wasn't his own teams 1st option in the redzone is the next coming of Gale Sayers.

They both have legitimate questions for translating their games to the pros. What we do know however from a whole season, including bowls, is who was BY FAR the best college football player this year, and maybe among decades. It was the one who held the crystal trophy awarded to winners on the field, not the Gino Torreta-Wuerffel pre-playoff hype award that is gifted every year.

It will take a better than expected workout by Bush and/or worse one from VY to justifty passing on VY based on what is known about them, rather than assumed.

19. anon3803

anon3803 Member

I totally agree, a lot of the stuff about VY being a bad passer is just BS. I'd also like to add that considering Young's work ethic I don't think VY will have a worse than expected workout. Bush may take the talk of VY possibly going #1 as motivation, but considering the hyped up expectations on him, it will be tough to have a better than expected workout.

20. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Of course you're not concerned with it. :rolleyes:

Though, I don't imagine you would make the same comment if Young was dominating the poll like you "predicted".