1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FoxSports: Astros on verge of major deal (Possibly Tejada)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by justtxyank, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. htownbball

htownbball Member

if they cant get a pitcher, the only alternative is going after a hitter at our weakest offensive position

2. jtotheb

jtotheb Member

To drum up interest when there isn't a whole lot right now.

3. leroy

leroy Member

Seriously, if your going to speak out against someone, at least be remotely factual.

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Member

does anyone here have any doubt that this "deal" clearly will NOT happen?

5. MaxwellsTemper

I still say all this is bogus.

6. MadMax

MadMax Member

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.meetings07dec07,0,2727489.story

Several reports yesterday indicated that the Orioles were close to trading Tejada to the Houston Astros, though team sources said they were never imminently close to a deal for their shortstop or anybody else on the roster during the meetings. One team source confirmed that the two teams have had "significant discussions" and the Orioles believe the Astros have enough young talent to get a deal done.

However, a package headed by light-hitting shortstop Adam Everett and outfielder Luke Scott is not close to what it's going to take to pry Tejada from the Orioles. MacPhail also met this week with the St. Louis Cardinals, San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Angels about Tejada. However, the Cardinals and Giants remain short on young, major league-ready talent that they are willing to trade, and the Angels have not aggressively pursued Tejada to this point.

7. gunn

gunn Member

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking with the injuy comment. I remember earlier this season when he was being talked about for consecutive games played. Sorry about that. Aside from that, I think the steriod trail is pretty obvious.

Start with these two cities and the players that played for these teams and the production increase that correlated.

Oakland
    Houston

8. leroy

leroy Member

But it's not like Tejada just became a power hitter one day. He hit 20 hr in 113 games while in A ball & 22 hr in 128 games while in AA ball. He has always hit with decent power. I'm not saying he didn't. But there was not the jump in power or anything else that screams steroids...other than Rafael Palmiero calling him out.

9. MadMax

MadMax Member

I'm not saying he did or didn't...I have no idea.

But the fact there wasn't a jump in his numbers from the minors is an argument I hear a lot but don't understand. It assumes that he wasn't doing steroids in the minors.

10. right1

right1 Member

Chris Burke hit like .440 or something at Tennessee w/ 20 homeruns and a bunch of steals. He was the 10th overall selection in the draft. Seeing what he did in AAA and a decent 2006...a .276 avg. with some speed & power...he should have some value. So what if he had a crappy 2007. He has always been envisioned as a guy who could very well hit .300 with 15-20 homeruns and 30 steals. He even learned to play the outfield, albeit not that great, but not a liability. either. He and Luke Scott could pay huge dividends to someone willing to give them 500 AB's each.

11. MadMax

MadMax Member

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2007/12/everything_you.html

December 07, 2007
    Everything you want to know about Miguel Tejada and the Astros.
    1. Yes, the Orioles and Astros had intense discussions about a deal involving SS Miguel Tejada. Yes, the Orioles believe the Astros have enough talent to make the deal work. No, the two sides were never close to a deal. That's never, never, never. At one point Wednesday night, the Astros were hinting they were close to a major deal. Whether that was the Tejada trade or some other trade is unclear. Again, though, the Orioles were never going to accept Adam Everett, Chris Burke and a prospect.

2. Could the deal still happen? Absolutely. Andy MacPhail was among the most aggressive GMs at the meetings and would still like to reconfigure his roster. He also moves cautiously. He took the various proposals involving Tejada, Brian Roberts, etc., back to Baltimore and will continue to study them.

3. Would it be a good thing for the Astros? Yes. Tejada has declined as a defensive player. (I've heard the Astros were mulling over the possibility of him playing third.) His power numbers are down dramatically in recent years. You could have a long argument over how much Everett's defense offsets his lack of offense. In the end, I'd go for Tejada. With the financial commitment at a reasonable level (two years at $13M per), why not? It certainly deepens the lineup.

4. Yes, Tejada has been linked to steroids. I have no idea if his name will be included in the Mitchell report when it's released next Thursday. Yes, Tejada behaved badly in 2006. I also think he's not a problem in the clubhouse. When he was younger, he was an upbeat, energetic kid around teammates. He has changed some, but he's definitely not a problem.

12. right1

right1 Member

I guess what I'm saying is that a Burke, Scott, Everett for Tejada trade could be great for both sides.

13. right1

right1 Member

If that were to happen, I would like to see what happens with Tejada at 3rd, Matsui at short and Wigginton at second.

14. MadMax

MadMax Member

I thought they tried Matsui at SS before, and it didn't work...didn't have the arm.

I hate the idea of Wigginton at second. I absolutely hate it.

I'd much rather trade Wigginton at that point...keep Everett at SS to preserve what I think could be great defense up the middle.

But I think if this deal happens it may involve Bourn...just my guess.

15. right1

right1 Member

They didn't try Matsui at SS for very long. He was considered the best Japanese shortstop ever and was always envisioned by scouts as being a mlb ss. At one point he was refusing to come over if he had to play 2b. I don't know to much about Wiggy's capabilities or lack thereof at second base, but I'd would HATE to have to give up Bourn. I'm excited about him in CF.

16. MadMax

MadMax Member

I really don't wanna give up Bourn either.

Everything I heard is that when he got here, Matsui couldn't play SS. The Mets moved him because they questioned both his range and his arm. I'd be less inclined to question his range, but then again they watched him play that position a lot more than i did.

Wiggy as a middle infielder scares the hell out of me.

17. msn

msn Member

You'd better score 8 runs per game as you watch your pitching staff's ERA soar whilst all those routine grounders become singles. Seriously, that may be the worst defensiving infield in the major leagues. Yech.

18. rterry

rterry Member

People fretting over this trade are way over-valuing our players. Tejada is a huge upgrade to our offense over Everett. Everett, Burke or Scott, and any pitcher besides Roy and Qualls should be a no brainer and I'm sure it is for the Astros. I don't think we can get Tejada for what we are offering.

It is true that our number 1 need is a starter, but there are none available. We don't have the trading chips to land a number 2 or 3 starter and the FA's available suck. Tejada will significantly upgrade our team and it is only a 2 year contract. It won't prevent us from seeking pitching next year. We need too much to get it all in one off-season.

19. No Worries

No Worries Member

How about Tejada at second and keep Wigginton at third?

20. MadMax

MadMax Member

And Matsui at SS??

Again, the Mets tried Matsui at SS and declared him a disaster. That was 3 years ago. He's 32 now...I'm guessing arm and range haven't improved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.