1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FoxSports: Astros on verge of major deal (Possibly Tejada)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by justtxyank, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BMoney

BMoney Member

Hold out for Josh Beckett. And Santana...

2. The Dude

The Dude New Member

It seems that people are generally down on Tejada. I think some have said that his skills are in marked decline.

Granted, last year was certainly a down year offensively, but as someone else pointed out, this was largely due to injury (supposedly). Defensively, he didn't have a bad year, 7th in MLB in zone rating (would have been 8th if Everett would had played the whole year).

The year before, 2006, his OPS was the second highest in his career (higher than his MVP year) and he had his highest OBP of his career (by far).

I guess I just don't see a "downward trend." Instead I see a bad year caused by injury. Is Berkman on the decline? There does seem to be a downward trend in power, but if that is accompanied by higher OBP numbers than that seems acceptable.

I think he would make an offensive position of weakness into a big strength and would be great to plug into the 3 hole.

3. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

It is definitely intriguing to me to have him as our SS. I think the big thing is concern over who we might give up. If it is someone like Wandy I and a lot of people around here will be okay with it. I just hope we don't throw in one of our prospects to get the deal done. I also have a feeling that Wade is considering doing another deal if this one gets completed. For example, if we get Tejada w/o giving up Everett then he may have a deal on the table for Wigginton + whatever to get more pitching if we lose a contributor. I think this because we only have so many bargaining chips which will be gone with the Tejada trade so maybe this will free up another trade and make other players expendable. Who knows? I hope we have a deal in place for a starting pitcher at some point.

4. texanskan

texanskan Member

wow first post after being a member so long, anyway classic name "the dude" and I do agree with take on Tejada

5. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

If we do that deal without trading everett and end up having all three at once, i think wiggy goes to the angels for a pitcher (E Santana). Book it (if it happens :p)

6. BMoney

BMoney Member

The Dude abides.

[​IMG]

7. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Member

He's not the MVP any longer. But he's one of the 10 best shortstops in baseball - maybe one of the 10 best third basemen too. So you're really getting a major upgrade at a position of weakness on this team. And perhaps just as important, he only has a few years left on his contract. A guy that age in slight decline with four or five years left, I say "no way". But on his current contract, I wouldn't hesitate.

8. texanskan

texanskan Member

top 5 top 5

9. Fiah

Fiah Member

Right..won't happen.

10. gunn

gunn Member

Exactly. What is going on here? Is this 2004? This guy, in my opinion, has the steroid cloud all over him. Follow the trail.

- With Giambi in Oakland when he wins MVP
    - In Baltimore when Palmerio goes down (IMO Brian Roberts is highly suspect also)
    - oft injured
    - power numbers in steady decline

11. The Dude

The Dude New Member

Oft injured?

Games Played-

1999 - 159
    2000 - 160
    2001 - 162
    2002 - 162
    2003 - 162
    2004 - 162
    2005 - 162
    2006 - 162
    2007 - 133

12. toby

toby Member

[​IMG]

hmmmm . . . . .

13. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Member

Now do Bagwell's rookie card!

14. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

Everett was one reason Angelos vetoed the deal; the Astros included him in their offer for Tejada, and Angelos did not want him.

lol

15. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but this is what the Astros website has to say concerning the meetings and Tejada ... It appears Tejada talk again just talk because Angelos is a vacillating idiot and would not know a good deal if it bit him in the ASS! Don't think anything will come out of so-called Tejada rumors. If someone already reported this article, my mistake just skipped to last page on details.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou&partnered=rss_hou

16. BMoney

BMoney Member

Just like Bedard won't happen...check your sarcasm meter.

17. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

A burke, everett and patton deal for tejada would e perfect for the simple fact that patton is overrated right now. He probally still ranks as a top 100 prospect in baseball but this kid is on the decline actually. He's a lefty but none of his pitches are sick. Plus he has durability issues at this age already. If he's gonna be a starter, he's not gonna be anything more than a 4-5 on a good team. We might as well trade him while value is high, which is what we didnt do with burke, lane, ensberg when we had the chance. I think this whole semi-untouchable stance that drayton had on him before helped too. This kid isnt gonna be anything special though. He's just a little overrated by astros fans cuz he's a hometown boy.

18. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

i dont think thats the question... why are they going after tejada instead of a starting pitcher?

19. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I'm guessing they are going after starting pitching, but other teams aren't biting on our players and I don't blame them.

20. yobod

yobod Member

I said it before you did! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.