1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FoxSports: Astros on verge of major deal (Possibly Tejada)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by justtxyank, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Member

Ha! Adam Everett, Killer of Rallies and Slayer of Deals!

2. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Don't the Orioles always leak trade information and screw up everything...

3. MadMax

MadMax Member

Everett may be the Killer of Rallies

Angelos is the Slayer of Deals. He's been that for a long time now.

4. The Cat

The Cat Member

It's the Astros that leaked it, telling two other teams.

Essentially, it's the same identical scenario as one year ago today. Final Thursday of the winter meetings... Astros talk to an American League team about a potential deal (Jon Garland last year, Miguel Tejada this year)... discussions take place but no agreement is near. But Tal Smith seemingly has a problem to keep such discussions internal, and before too long, other teams and the media are in the loop when an agreement hasn't been made yet and a routine discussion turns into an "it's almost done!" pandemonium.

Only difference between this year and last year is that Ortiz and the Chronicle ran with it in 2006... this year, it's Delati and 790. I'm pretty sure it's Tal, but someone within the Astros really has an itchy trigger finger and continually goes public before it's time.

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

I would have rather aquired Garland than get Tejada this year.

6. msn

msn Member

Continually? This is twice. And Tal's been around how long?

I'm not saying it isn't Tal, but "continually" is a funny word here.

I'm surprised, given the way the Astros have historically kept everything so close to the vest, that we've had two dramas like this in the last two winters. It's just uncharacteristic of the Astros--including Tal Smith, who IIRC has been with the Astros for quite some time.

7. juicystream

juicystream Member

You mean to say that someone wouldn't want Adam Everett on their team? He is like the greatest defensive shortstop ever.

There is some sarcasm in there. It does seem silly though to trade for Tejada at this point. He probably would be better suited playing 3rd base and I like Wigginton at 3rd for the much lower price tag, and the knowledge that he can actually play the position.

8. The Cat

The Cat Member

I've heard there are other examples as well, but Garland (well, until today) was the most prominent one. Granted I've only heard one side of it, but from what I know, Smith was willing to tell anyone within ear range what was going on with Garland obviously long before it was done. Seems very unprofessional.

I'm not going to claim that I know everything, and I could easily be wrong, but I will point out that it's only been in the Purpura years and especially the brief Wade tenure that Tal has stepped up to a more visible role within the organization. At the very least, I have strong suspicions.

9. MadMax

MadMax Member

not to mention that it's entirely possible the astros still trade for miguel tejada.

10. Major

Major Member

I agree with an earlier poster that we might want to hold off until that Mitchell Report comes out. Tejada was in Oakland at the time of BALCO, and he was connected to Palmeiro last year (or whenever that mess was). He's a prime suspect to be involved in all that mess. Still only a small chance he's named or involved, but if there's anyone to be wary of until that report comes out, it's him.

11. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

im sure the gm's have a pretty good idea of who is on that list

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

me, too. johnson, beltran, even the huff deal last year were all completely out of nowhere with next to no warning. this is very odd behavior for the astros...

13. BigSherv

BigSherv Member

Astros Close To Tejada Deal?
    UPDATE, 12-6-07 at 3:02pm: Still listening to 790...the message is now that the talks are in an "advanced stage" and they do not know the names involved. There's also a question of whether Tejada would waive his no-trade. Ken Rosenthal checks in - the teams have had significant discussions and may have been on the verge at some point. But nothing is imminent.

UPDATE, 12-6-07 at 1:33pm: ESPN's Jayson Stark says Andy MacPhail has left Nashville without a deal in place. But talks about Tejada and Brian Roberts are on the frontburner. Hopefully Jeff Zrebiec will weigh in soon...

FROM 12-6-07 at 12:39pm:

790 The Sports Animal, a Houston radio station, is reporting that the Astros are close to a deal to acquire Miguel Tejada. The reported package: Adam Everett, Chris Burke, and a pitcher. Heard them saying this myself by listening online; they're talking about it now.

The package sounds light, but maybe better if Troy Patton is the pitcher. More when I have it.

14. Rocket G

Rocket G Member

OMFG! The post on the previous page with the Fox Sports article!

:mad:

"http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7532262

Sources: O's, Astros discuss Tejada
    Ken Rosenthal
    FOXSports.com, Updated 11 minutes ago STORY TOOLS:"

WE DID NOT ATTEMPT TO TRADE ROY FOR TEJADA YOU *******, KEN ROSENTHAL!

:mad:

15. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Member

From ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=winter_meetings

4:11 p.m., from Enrique Rojas
    • The Orioles have intensified talks with several teams to trade shortstop Miguel Tejada, second baseman Brian Roberts, and left-hander Eric Bedard. The Astros and Angels are the most interested teams in Tejada.

16. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Now,if somehow we were able to get both of these guys!...sounds unlikely.Wow,I shudder at the cost.

17. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Member

Shouldn't the Astros be concentrating on acquiring Bedard? I guess they just don't have enough to offer besides defensive champion of the world Adam Everett.

I don't understand why the Astros are so drawn to Tejada's monster contract when good pitching and defense have proven so successful in the NL.

18. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Member

Uncle Drayton likes the big splash. This is why he opens his wallet for Carlos Lee, Roger Rocket, etc., but isn't interested in handing out bonus money to sign draft picks. Tejada is a much, much bigger name than Bedard.

BTW, I'm not saying that's the best way to run a team - I'm just saying it's Drayton's way.

19. Fiah

Fiah Member

I agree. Get Bedard.

20. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

We don't have close to what it would take to get Bedard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.