1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOXNEWS] FDA: Peanut Plant Knowingly Shipped Contaminated Products

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by snowmt01, Jan 29, 2009.

1. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

8 people died from the contamination, including 4 children

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,484933,00.html

Officials at the food plant in Blakely, Ga., responsible for the nationwide salmonella outbreak, knowingly shipped contaminated peanut butter and did not do anything to correct the mold growing on their walls and ceilings, Agence France-Presse reported.

The outbreak, which took place between Sept. 1 and Jan. 9, infected more than 500 people in 43 states, and one person in Canada, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

The CDC, along with the Food and Drug Administration, is conducting an investigation.

The recent salmonella outbreak may have contributed to eight deaths, according to the CDC.

According to the FDA, people became sick or died after consuming food products containing peanut butter produced at the Peanut Corporation of America.

"PCA distributed potentially contaminated product to more than 70 consignee firms, for use as an ingredient in hundreds of different products, such as cookies, crackers, cereal, candy and ice cream," the FDA said on its Web site.

A report by the FDA released Wednesday revealed 12 instances between June 2007 and September 2008 where the plant’s testing discovered its products were contaminated by salmonella. However, the company still shipped the product.

Upon inspection, mold was found inside the plant, including on the building’s ceilings and walls of the food cooler. It appeared roaches had made the plant their home as well.

The American Peanut Council articulated “shock and dismay” upon learning of the FDA’s report that the Peanut Corp. of America had knowingly shipped contaminated food products.

Symptoms of salmonella include diarrhea, fever and cramping. The illness can last four to seven days. About 1.4 million Americans develop salmonella each year and 400 die from it, according to the CDC.

A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed against the Peanut Corp. by the family of a 72-year-old Minnesota woman. The family alleges she died from salmonella poisoning.

Click here for more on this story from the AFP.

2. mic

mic Contributing Member

Ugh. Makes you wonder how much of our food supply is infested with roaches. :(

That's awful.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

What the hell is wrong with people? Who knowingly continues to produce and ship a tainted product? Who had the final say? Congratulations douchebag, you just killed 8 people and counting.

4. mic

mic Contributing Member

Seriously, that's pretty ridiculous and completely inexcusable and unnecessary. Did they think it wouldn't better and that it would slip by unnoticed?

5. mic

mic Contributing Member

Er, I have no idea what I was trying to say there. I guess that it wouldn't affect anyone.

6. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Signed,
    asbestos and cigarette companies, among many others.

7. droxford

droxford Member

To clean the mold up and remove cockroaches, requires the plant to cease operations temporarily, costing the company money. Hiring people to clean the mold and remove the cockroaches costs the company money. Never forget: money drives business.

Watch this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FeCNoI1XirI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FeCNoI1XirI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lucky they do business in the US and not in China.

I wonder, though, if the FDA alows a low-level count of salmonella. I would think that the decision to ship is more gray if it is a matter of degree. The comment about the roaches was funny. I doubt there is a food-product plant in the country that doesn't have roaches.

9. droxford

droxford Member

I'm sorry - I just realized that that video clip had some cheasy music spliced into the background. If I had edit ability, I'd remove that clip and replace it with this one:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CeCMSLP3Wy8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CeCMSLP3Wy8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

That is just gross, man. :(