1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX]Olajuwon: Dwight Howard, Jeremy Lin 'combination is very deadly'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by eomor131, Sep 18, 2013.

1. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Yes, one of the opportunities was in NY and he proved his worth and he landed this contract. What's so confusing about that?

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

There is nothing wrong with this reasoning, in fact I agree with McHale.

However, since this is the case, people should stop complaining when Lin gets benched after mistakes, or when Lin doesn't get to play a million minutes.

T-Jones gets benched often even after having good games because he makes bone-headed plays. If anything, Lin has a far far longer leash than T-Jones, and the are both "technically" 2nd year players.

If we McHale sees Lin as a 2nd year player, then he will treat him like one. There is really nothing inherently wrong if 2nd year players do not get long leashes that all-star players normally get.

3. Crunchyball

Crunchyball Rookie

Lol idiotic comment . Lin has got a big contract , either he plays up to it or trade he's arse out. The rockets got to try at least . It's sink or swim time for him

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

That's fine, you see Lin as a 4th year player who has developed a lot already and this current Lin is the result of 4 years of development.

No need to be so sensitive or defensive.

5. qiantom1999

qiantom1999 Rookie

There are two schools of thoughts. One is to bench players when they screw up; the other is to let them play through mistakes. Which one is better, or which one is better for Jeremy? Who knows.

6. mikus

mikus Member

So I have a possibly provocative question and I am truly curious of everyone's opinion.

Forget team considerations, and maybe even forget that the player is Lin. We've heard the comments that it's better for Lin to play on a championship team with lesser stats than get better stats on a lottery bound team. Now if you look at this financially for the player is it true?

Let's say we're not even talking about Lin particular, if a guard averages say 16 pts 7 assts playing a more limited role on a championship caliber team for a couple years, vs a guard who plays a much larger role on a lottery team and say averages more like 22 pts 8 assts. Come contract time, who gets paid more?

If I had to guess it would be the guy getting 22/8, but I don't know. What do you guys think?

7. coffeelover665

I think Lin will resign with Houston and he'll do it for less money but with something like No trade clause. He likes Houston and hes loyal. This is technically his first *real* team that simulates his high school days where he and his teammates are close.

Fun fact about Lin: In High school, his coach wanted to recruit two very good forward to come to the team and 2 of his teammates will be cut so he objected to the recruiting.

8. qiantom1999

qiantom1999 Rookie

You are probably right. Players may be fine with championship and less money though.

Talking about Lin and Rockets specifically, the real question becomes whether Lin getting more touches, plays, stats is good for the team with championship aspiration. There is no correct answer. Lin fans usually say yes, but then they
    will be labeled LOF.

9. SirKen

SirKen Member

Not counting the Lin fanatics, the reason why some other people and I talk so much about Lin getting benched is that Rockets play an entirely different type of basketball when he is on the court. Swap Lin for Dragic or any other name and you would still have the same people complaining about the same issues.

We also talked about things like rotations and minutes allocations and funny things like Delfino being forced to play as a center last year but for some reason everything gets attributed to our fandom of Lin or something.

1 person likes this.
  10. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

You made good points, but I'm not saying playing time as an excuse. Lin still is playing 30+ minutes with Bev as the starter. My point is that even according to his coaches he was a rookie last year...becaus technically he was. Mchale and Sampson referred to him as a rookie PG all the time. What I am trying to say is he is already showing improvements in the off season, and this year they have been pushing Lin more as a scorer than a PG who playmakes. The job of the 6th man is to score. Period. He plays little minutes as PG, but since Bev is injured these few games we have seen Lin step it up as a PG. My point is his playing time AS A PG needs to increase because he can continue to improve. His role keeps changing from SG to PG, and Harden is the one basically playing PG on this team. Look at this game against Boston, you really can't deny that Lin played pretty good last night as the PG. The team looked good, and Lin is connecting with Dwight a lot more than the past few games. I never meant playing time was an excuse, I meant his playing time in certain roles would help him develop.

11. ada32

ada32 Member

Totally agreed, sweet Lou 4 2.
    Lin is not there yet but he is improving! This year is critical to his development.

12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Clarification:

No trade clauses aren't allowed unless the player has been in the NBA at least 8 seasons and has played for the team with which he is signing for at least for seasons.

13. jvu

jvu Member

Agreed. Confidence plays a crucial factor. Getting laid or having a feeling a girl digs you just = increased confidence.

Maybe that explains why players tend to play worst in away games than home. Just a little food for thought. ;)

14. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Then I would think NBA teams could hire...um...help for road games. Seems like money well spent.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

How many season?

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You can get a 'trade consent' clause with lower numbers than that, right?

17. craguin

craguin Member

From the CBA FAQ:
    98. When can't a player be traded? Can players be given "no-trade" clauses in their contracts?

18. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Don't understand why people put so much on Lin for consistency. Where is Bev's consistency? He had games where he had no offense nor assist and he had games he score 15+. Where is Parson's consistency. He had games where he just couldn't shoot. Where is Howard's consistency? He is the most consistent but even him had games with just a few boards and a few points. And don't need to mention the beard. You all know the games we lost were when his 3s were all bricks and yet he kept isoing to the end. Lin is only on his 2nd full season. No need to be so harsh on his consistency. He was on beast mode on 3s until his injury. He now just begins to play with the starting unit and getting some chemistry. But unfortunately, when Bev is gone, he will have to figure out how to fit in again. That inconsistency of his role and players around him may affect his consistency. If the coach tells him he will be the starting pg for the team with at least 30+ minutes, he may be more consistent, just saying.

19. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

100% agree!

20. zdrav

zdrav Member

Pretty sure the players themselves have already efficiently set up such a system for themselves.