1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fox News Is OFF the Air!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Cable TV is becoming more and more irrelevant with each passing year. There are better places to get news from. There are better places to watch your favorite shows at. All that it's the best at these days is disseminating to the public the very latest in cutting edge advertising.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

he didn't say it should be illegal. he said liberals love celebrating less speech.

L2Read

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL... as if conservatives don't celebrate when a newspaper folds, or when a liberal commentator's show goes off the air.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrisy

4. tallanvor

Now you are making a different argument then before......

Show me where i celebrated a liberal show going off the air (not saying i haven't)?

Getting news from tv has to be one of the most inefficient ways to get news. Sitting through commercials and fluff stories to finally get to a piece you want to hear. I couldn't care less if a show goes off the air.

5. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

6. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

7. tallanvor

HAHAHA. that's it? you posted a story of a county councilman not wanting his name in the paper? seriously? Well that certainly proves conservatives (how do you know he is one?) love suppressing speech right?

Try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairness_Doctrine

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._Federal_Election_Commission

8. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Might want to read the article before you dismiss it next time. You know, L2Read.

He doesn't just not want his name in the paper, he doesn't want to be referenced or quoted at all...under threat of a lawsuit.

And I know he's a conservative because I READ the article wherein he's referred to as "Delauter R-District 5". Having lived in Western Maryland for nearly a decade, I can assure you that Republicans out there are as conservative as they come.

It's telling that you dismiss an elected CONSERVATIVE official threatening to sue a newspaper if they so much as print his name yet you begin foaming at the mouth and falling over backwards because some "liberals" are laughing on a basketball message board because a corporation is taking advantage of the free market.

9. tallanvor

I'm dismissing your claim that conservatives love suppressing speech. You didn't bother to point to legislation backing your claim or even a political position held by a prominent conservative. You posted a story about a county councilman who doesn't want his name in the paper. That's the most compelling argument you could possibly make?

please tell me more about how i'm falling over backwards and foaming at the mouth. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

As opposed to you, I actually bothered to post evidence of the claim.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Kicked Dish to the curb and got Direct TV a few days ago.

Do it. I saw my first local Rockets broadcast in over 2 years on Monday night. They aren't adding Root Sports any time soon.

Dish really blows. Lose 'em.

11. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I'm a bit stubborn, still. I don't like being railroaded into choosing another carrier simply because the licensed channel doesn't want to open their product up to all carriers, or that's how I felt when Comcast was the only place to see the Rox. I'm starting to think that this is as much Dish's fault as it is Root's and may very well change in the near future.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I felt the exact same way during the CSN years. But once Root came around and Dish was the only major carrier not to pick it up....I was done with them.

They've gone on record saying there's no demand for Root Sports and they want to concentrate more on college sports than pro sports. Maybe they were a bigger part of the problem that we originally thought.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

CSN was a different issue than Root. CSN refused to license to anyone else. I am not sure how they get away with it, but my feeling is if you have a monopoly on a segment, it should be allowed to all.

Dish on the other hand, is all about the bottom dollar. They have no interest in being a premium provider that focuses on customer satisfaction. They are the Walmart of retail.

14. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

already being discussed here.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Many conservative are against net neutrality. I think that can be viewed as for against free speech. Give the power over to communication giants that control ISPs, Search Engine, and the like and you give them power to control online content (or expression of online free speech).

16. Bartski

Bartski New Member

Great addendum.

Your comment on liability is brilliant. I love it. May I presume to use it following some of my drivel, ....er, I mean,...comments? :):)