1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fox News Comments - Users Unable to Express Opinions Intelligently and Respectfully?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MrRoboto, Aug 30, 2012.

1. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that for a while now Fox News no longer allows users to leave comments on news stories.

I suspect that this is in an effort to prevent stupid bigoted rednecks from posting idiotic messages during election season, but was curious what your opinion might be.

Or perhaps I'm missing something and the comments are still there?

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If true, I hope every other news organization on the planet follows suit. I swear, for dens of stupidity and hatred, the comment sections of news websites have to be the deepest pit the internet has ever seen.

2 people like this.
  3. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

This. The internet commentators for Fox News were racist *****, but it's not like it's a unique thing for Fox News. Pretty much any prominent news site, especially newspapers, have comments which make 4chan look tame. Take a look at the Comicle sometimes. Or rather, don't.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I wish they all would, too. I catch myself reading them sometimes. I wish there was some kind of breathalyzer IQ test. That way, you could see exactly what kind of damage reading that garbage does to your brain instantly.

5. Classic

Classic Member

Yea, no kidding. Youtube is pretty bad as well.

6. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Why is that liberals get to stomp on conservatives anytime they post something on the other side, but you and your buddies are free to insult and attack them at will? Why is it so personal to you? Why do I have a feeling I am going to get 18 comments about how stupid I am for even thinking the word "conservatism."

Yes, there are racist bigots who are Republicans.
    Yes, there are racist bigots who are Democrats.

The majority of both sides want what is best for AMERICA. Why are you so confident that your way is right and our way is wrong? Do I think Republicans have screwed up things, yes. But they are not alone in taking responsibility and to accuse each conservative of racism and other idiotic insults is not doing your argument any good.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

^ um... did you read all the posts after the OP? :confused: Pretty much people are saying this is not a Fox News specific problem. I certainly agree.

8. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

No I didn't, I was referring to the much more general issue on this board. I read them after and was surprised to not see any real attacks on Fox or R's, but it's still early.

I usually ignore the trolls on news sites, I comment a lot on CNN, and it seems like every time there is a tragic story, more than HALF of the comments are cruel and crude. The American girl who got ran over by the bull dozer in Israel? Oh man, you wouldn't believe how many people were calling the event a "great day." That she was "a terrorist in a war zone that deserved to die." I hope these people don't truly feel this way and just have some mental lapse in judgement.

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

What is 4chan? I have heard of it before, but I always thought it was like justin.tv or something.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

You used to be able to write long comments on Paul Krugman's blog for NYT. Unfortunately for Krugman, that gave readers ample space to expose his flawed thinking. So nowadays the comments are heavily moderated and have been shortened so as to only allow comments like "Wow Paul great article!"

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

Even the comment space for my local paper is a cesspool.

12. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

Damn straight. It's unbelivable how major news sources keep accepting input from all the freaks and crazies out there. Yahoo News, CNN, etc, should be better than that.

It's so ridiculous that I wouldn't even let a child read the comments section of any news site.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As a liberal Democrat who's lived in Austin for the last 30+ years, I have to take this moment to bemoan the absolute boredom that is the comment section of The Austin American-Statesman. I look in vain for some juicy controversial comments and they are rarely to be found. It's a damned shame, that's what it is. Heck, it's nearly as boring as reading posts from miscellaneous members, who's names I can't recall, b****ing about the "Liberal bias" of this forum, that being their sole contribution to discussion here. Yes, a damned rotten shame, that's what it is. Almost as boring as the snooze fest that's allegedly the Republican National Convention.

14. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

You comment a lot on CNN? Considering that it is a similiar cesspool of trolls and party zombies fighting amongst themselves....why do you feed the bears?

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Go to FoxNation, it's a tragedy that comment section, lol.