1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fox fires Steve "Psycho" Lyons after insensitive comment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rikesh316, Oct 14, 2006.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

i agree, I dont think his joke was about race, i think he was just a poor attempt to be funny. But, now that I see he has said some controversial things before, I'm not so sure it wasnt a racial joke.

2. Zac D

Zac D Member

1.) Lyons = moron.

2.) The analogy's pretty good, if I'm understanding it right. Expecting the bulk of your offensive production to come from Marco Scutaro is like expecting the bulk of your income to come from weekly wallet finds - stupid; so, in the one case, get Frank Thomas hitting, and in the other, get a damn job.

3. swilkins

swilkins Member

He got fired for that? I didn't get offended, but then I still have my wallet. ;)

I know. It's bad, but I couldn't resist.

4. MadMax

MadMax Member

seriously. lyons has been my least favorite announcer for years now. get his crappy voice and stupid comments off of my baseball broadcasts and video games. glad to see him go.

5. MadMax

MadMax Member

man, that sucks. seriously, this is the worst coverage of any of the major sports. by far.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Jeremy Bonderman passed up his senior year in high school and was able to enter the draft after his junior year because he got his GED. Pinella had no idea what a GED was.

7. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I wouldn't say Lyons was any good, but I agree it is PC run amok.

Since when did Fox start worrying about being PC?

8. compucomp

compucomp Member

I guess their sports and news divisions aren't exactly joined at the hip. On second thought that's a damned good thing. I can imagine what would happen if Bill O'Reilly started doing sports commentating, and it isn't pretty.

9. Buck Turgidson

Good news:

Under the new arrangement, to begin in 2007, Fox keeps the World Series, one of the two League Championship Series, a Saturday game of the week for 26 weeks and the All-Star Game. Fox will alternate between the American League Championship Series and National League Championship Series each year.

Turner Sports also now picks up coverage of the divisional series for both the American League and National League. It will put the games on TBS, with the ability to use TNT for overflow programming as it does with its NBA coverage.

As part of the deal beginning in 2008, Turner will add a Sunday regular-season game of the week as well as an All-Star Game selection show. This year, Turner also gets rights to any regular-season tie-breaker games that arise if two potential playoff teams finish even in the standings.

TBS won’t start the national Sunday game until 2008 because it still has a contract to air 70 Atlanta Braves games nationally in 2007. TBS will no longer carry Braves games nationally as of 2008, but will air 45 games locally on WTBS.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6382167.html

Can't be worse than Fox.

10. MadMax

MadMax Member

That's good news on a lot of fronts. Including an alternative to 70 freaking Braves games being shown in my town.

11. weslinder

weslinder Member

Hire Harold Reynolds!!

12. MadMax

MadMax Member

hire someone who doesn't despise the houston astros.

one of my friends from colorado always says, "how does it feel to root for ESPN's least favorite team?"

least favorite? they freaking hate them! :) (except stark!)

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Lyons got screwed, they had to be looking for a reason, all of that is just horsing around, and not at all racist.

DD

14. MadMax

MadMax Member

eh, he sucks anyway, so who cares? i was telling buck a few months back that i couldn't believe lyons had a job like that.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

"If my fries have a little freedom in them, then their definitely not from France."

- a Redneck in Paris eating at McDonalds

Yea...he should really have watched what he was saying there on the air. You're not in your living room hanging out with your buds. Moron.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Everyone's assumption about the comments meaning that "Hispanics will steal your wallet if you sit next to them" is right. But Lyons should be fired... only US MEXICANS steal wallets.

RocketRiver, did you mean "Spanish-speaking folx"?

'bout time someone made sense in this thread. No hay de queso nomAs de PAPA.