1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fox fires Steve "Psycho" Lyons after insensitive comment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rikesh316, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Kam

Kam Member

Lysons sucked.

They couldn't just fire him because he sucked?

2. JaWindex

JaWindex Member

Haha, I remember hearing that exchange live and wondering if anything would happen to Lyons. Basically, after Pinella spoke some words in spanish, Lyons said he couldn't find his wallet and didn't want to sit next to Pinella anymore. This was in reference to an earlier comment by Pinella involving wallets. It was an awkward exchange that could be misconstrued as Lyons saying hispanics steal wallets. I don't think he meant that and he probably shouldn't have been fired.

3. Smokey

Smokey Member

Yeah, WTF is playing like "finding a wallet"? The self-satisfaction of returning it to the owner? Do people actually keep lost wallets? Pinella should be fired for being r****ded.

Lyons is an idiot.

4. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I really dont see what the big deal is. I think FOX just used this as a scap goat to can Lyons's ass.

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I liked this post. :D

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

it wasn't racially insensitive. it was insenitive to my sense of humor. it was another idiotic joke told by the horrible fox announcing team.

from the way I read it lyons wasn't implying latinos steal wallets. pinella brought up the 'finding a wallet' reference and lyons was joking that pinella was a thief not that latinos are thieves.

and if you think the hablaing espanol is insenitive then I don't know what to say.

7. Kam

Kam Member

so does MLB want to move back to NBC and have either Bob Costas or Al Michaels call the World Series?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease move the NBA back to NBC. When does ABC's contract expire with the NBA.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

If you have to explain why a comment is insensitive, how insensitive could it be?

9. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

And he was also towing a small church, so it shouldn't be that hard to find him.

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

Fox owns the rights to the playoffs till 2013. You've got plenty of time to enjoy Buck, McCarver, and the rest of the goof troop that is Fox MLB commentators.

11. SWTsig

SWTsig Member

whatever gets him off the air.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think the insinuation is that because he is speaking spanish . .
    Spanish folx steal wallets
    so
    He not does not trust the guy . . and thinks the guy stole his wallet

Rocket River
    it is just me taking a stab at it

13. Nick

Nick Member

That's probably it... Fox took Lyons way to literally (Lyons clearly joking about the "not understanding" him, and the whole wallet thing was started by Pinella... and that was a horrible analogy to begin with).

Fox probably just wanted to can Lyons.

14. Kam

Kam Member

oh god, seven years remaining of this crap.

15. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Lyons gots a history of insensitive comments so I am glad they fired him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2006/news/story?id=2625500

Lyons was suspended without pay in late September 2004 after his remarks about Shawn Green of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Green is Jewish and elected not to play one of the two games at San Francisco that took place during the Yom Kippur holiday.

Earlier in the playoffs, while working the Mets-Dodgers NLDS, Lyons unwittingly made fun of a nearly blind fan who was wearing special glasses to see the game.

"He's got a digital camera stuck to his face," Lyons said.

16. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I think finding a wallet during any day of the week is nice. I guess he was just calling them lucky. Still bad analogy tho, like someone before me said.

I wonder what Lyons has to say about this..

17. OddsOn

OddsOn Member

uhm....whats so incensitive about that? I am blind as a bat and make Mr Magoo look like he just had lasik and don't see anything bad about that comment or the one he made to get himself fired. This uber-sensitive trend in society is getting out of control IMHO we are becoming WAY to feminized :rolleyes: :confused:

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

Nice man... way to critique the PC culture and then equate being overly PC with being feminine.

Glad you got your point across

19. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

What the hell? This guy was blind except for peripheral vision in one eye, and he was wearing a Jordy, a magnifying device, to help him watch the game not no digital camera.

20. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Member

No entiendo ni papas :confused: