1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox' Berman] Swift deciding between Rockets, Nets and Sonics

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houstone, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Houstone

Houstone Member

Marc Berman reported that Swift is choosing between the Sonics, Nets, Rockets and that will make his decision in the middle of next week.

2. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

About damn time!

Does anyone know the cap status of Seattle?

I know they have alot of thier own free agents so I'm thinking they have enough cap room to out-bid either Houston or NJ.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

maybe perhaps even july 22nd? :rolleyes:

i honestly think that he's just hoping that someone will give him a better deal than the MLE. otherwise, he already knows where he wants to go. he's just waiting for Atlanta to put 11 mil per year in his face that's all.

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

That is not a bad group to be competing with.

The Nets have SAR as their priority, and they can offer much more than the Rockets with their TE and S&T--particularly when you consider what the average salary would be after taxes.

Regarding the Sonics, Memphis should really should be happier to see themselves get something back via S&T to Houston (future #1 + James, cheap quality back-up 1 + other expiring contract) than have him go to the Sonics and get nothing--the Sonics will be competing for playoff spot with them just as much as we area.

Besides, Swift would seem an odd pick up by the Sonics unless Radm and Evans are not coming back. Sonics have drafted three young 5s or 4/5s (Collison, Swift, new guy) the last three years, and loaded with vet 6'8"+ forwards (Lewis, Fortson, maybe Radm and Evans returning). Plus are they not they in cost saving mode and still need a back-up 1? I just don't see them offering Swift a big contract given their roster and restricted free agents.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

SS would seem to be a good fit in Netville, but Seattle? No way -- or would they SnT for Vlad? Hah!

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

it seems that all 3 teams still in the running are offering a S&T. our chances just greatly increased since we have upped our offer above the MLE.

if memphis refuses to do a S&T with us then we might just be out of the running. that's kinda scary. memphis' first choice for a S&T would have to be NJ because of the TE that they would get + NJ is in the east.

we will find out in a week, until then i'm done racking my brain on speculations.

7. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Stupid Nash (Portland), Thorn (NJ), and SAR are getting on my nerves. Just get it done already. All this crap over the difference between a first- and a second-round pick. :mad:

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think the rockets should give the nets a first round pick to give to portland just so they could get SAR and leave us with stro.

9. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

As far as i know that Rashard Lewis and Ray Allen pretty much taking majority of the money cap in Seattle, But Nets, however has more than they can offer Swift and that's why we are offering a sign and trade. The Griz can use a point guard!

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Don't the Nets have a high payroll? Carter and Kidd are max players and Jefferson has to make a lot of money too.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Radmanovich wants more money than the Sonics are offering him. There's speculation he might demand a S&T to a team were he can get his money and start.

Antonio Daniels wants around $30/5years. Sonics aren't keeping him.

Their russian? centre will be cheap.

It's looking like Seattle's going to have the spare change to sign Swift.

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

TRADE MIKE JAMES

13. blabla

blabla Contributing Member

That is what I am thinking. Nets seems to prefer to use MLE to sign SAR instead of S&T, not only spending less on SAR, but also avoiding to be close to the Lux Tax line.

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:confused:

You're talking about a 200K difference. That's not gonna be it.

Adding up quickly, he Sonics are indeed far enough under to make a significant offer to Swift even with the resigning of Allen, and even the unrenounced hits of Murray, Evans, Daniels, and Radmanovic.

I just can't see Swift going to Seattle unless they make him a nuts offer- first, they have 3 young bigs (R. Swift, Collison, Petro) as it is not counting Evans. Second, Seattle's a long way from home, and it's not exactly an endorsement area - I've always seen Swift more as a southern type. Third, the coach issue - they don't have one.

The trade exception makes some sense for Memphis (their salary at around 56 million could just afford to tack on a 4-5 million dollar player). However, The question then becomes for Swift - why New Jersey? The exception actually may cause a starting salary slightly lower than the MLE, but even assuming they're equal, you're talking about an average salary difference of about 300K per year. If you're Swift, and it looks like I'm taking a below market contract (considering Dalembert, et. al) - do you even want an extra year?

15. blabla

blabla Contributing Member

I mean Nets has no stimulus to S&T first and thus spare the MLE to sign another player, which will add other 4.9M on their payroll. While Rox may hope to spare the MLE to sign some other decent players if they can take SS by S&T.

16. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I think Swift is holding out to see if Atlanta or New Orleans comes up with a nice contract offer.

Like CD said, all things being equal, the Rockets are sitting nicely. There is just so much that the Rockets can offer.

17. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Swift decision not so easy, Nets as much as Rockets offer attractive opportunity

Swift's decision is not so easy. The Nets as much as the Rockets offer and attractive opportunity.

When you compare the Rosters, of the 3 teams Swift is reportedly considering, the Rockets and Swift can benefit so much togehter.

Rockets
    C -- Yao / Mutumbo (Corner stone won't change)
    PF - (Swift) / Howard
    SF - McGrady (Corner Stone won't chage)
    SG - Sura / Barry (This is likely to be improved)
    PG - James / Head (This is likely to be improved)

Nets
    C -- Nenad Kristic (legit center) / Robinson
    PF - (Swift) / Collins
    SF - Jefferson /
    SG - Carter /
    PG - Kidd / Best (FA)

The Rockets are younger, but the Nets do provide an interesting future for Swift. I don't know how Seattle hold up for Swift, but it will be interesting what happens next week.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If both teams are offering the MLE, then I strongly disagree. The Rockets are the easy choice.

1. Kidd is over the hill. There isn't a lot of gas left in that tank and I don't expect Jefferson or Carter to be as good without him.

2. After Kidd is gone, who is a more appealing duo to play with? McGrady and Yao or Carter and Jefferson?

3. It could be argued that there are more endorsement oppurtunities for Stromile as a Rocket. The Rockets are one of the most popular teams in the league right now. Not to mention the Asian market. I haven't really read anything about this, but I'd assume just about anybody on the Rockets roster could make some dough doing commercials and such overseas. (Anybody know anything about this? I understand Chinese television is apparently very different from our own. I'm not sure how commercials work there. Further, I'm not sure how much appeal Yao has to the rest of the Asian world.)

4. Not only do we have no state income tax, but we have a significantly lower cost of living in Houston.

5. Stromile is from Louisianna and grew up a Rockets fan. Perhaps growing up a Rockets fan may not be important, but living closer to his family and friends has got to be appealing.

6. It's been made very clear that the Net's first choice is Shareef Abdur-Rahim. Stro is our first choice. It all boils down to egos and economics, and the Rockets are better for both his ego and his wallet.

19. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

When did we lose Wesley and Sura become the starting SG?

Krstic is more of a PF and is far from being legit. He is OK, but still has a way to go.

Plus, the Nets turned down Robinson's option for next season, so it doesn't appear he will even be back.

Besides, if you look at what each team has now and the direction they are heading, it's a no brainer. The Rockets win hands down. But, this decision will come down to many more issues that who his starting 5 teammates will be.

20. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I agree with you that the Rockes do provide a brighter future. Well at least a super opportunity to grow into the potential he has.

But, what I was pointing out is that the Nets are offering a nice opportunity as well. Kidd has 2 or 3 years left in the tank. Of course he will never again be an MVP candidate, but his court vision cannot be denied. Both teams really really really need a PF.

Anyways, I really hope that Swift joins the Rockets!!!!

Let's keep our fingers crossed that this is the roster by the end of next week!!

Yao / Mutumbo / Baker
    Swift / Howard / Weatherspoon / Padgett
    McGrady / Bowen
    Wesley / Barry / Ward
    Sura / James / Head / Norris

With the guys I really want on the squad underlined!