1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26] UH to hire Texas Tech offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen to run offense

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, Feb 1, 2008.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/p...n=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

HOUSTON -- College football sources tell FOX 26 Sports that University of Houston head coach Kevin Sumlin is on the verge of hiring Texas Tech offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen to run the Cougars offense.

Holgorsen, who has spent the past eight years on the Red Raiders staff, assumed full-time offensive coordinator duties at Texas Tech in 2007 after sharing the job for two years.

If hired, he will be the University of Houston's offensive coordinator.

On Holgorsen's watch in 2007, Texas Tech had the number one passing attack in the nation averaging 470.3 yards per game. The Red Raiders also owned the seventh best scoring offense in the nation averaging 40.92 points per game.

University of Houston Athletic Director Dave Maggard would not comment on the deal, and Sumlin has not been available.

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Very good hire. Holgorsen will have run this offense unlike where he couldn't at Texas Tech. Sumlin has completed a very good staff. Last year staff under Art Briles doesn't compare with this new one.

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Why would a guy leave Texas Tech which has a better program and is in a better conference to go to U of H?

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

That's a damn good hire.

5. Big Dogg

Big Dogg Rookie

Very good hire. Maggard, from the start wanted someone who would run a spread offense, and Sumlin promised him he would get someone in here who would run it. No better place to get an offensive minded coach then from Tech.

Remember, CAB came from Tech.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Any reason other than he came from Tech? Leach ran the offense.. I don't really know anything about this guy honestly.

7. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Mike Leach calls the plays and runs the show at Tech. Sumlin has said he will not call the plays and whoever he hires will run the show.

8. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Wow! Great hire for UH - looking forward to football right after the season ends always sucks. :(

How many months now?

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Yeah, I guess he hasn't learned anything from Leach since he's been there.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I think this is a great hire...Briles came form Tech and I think all the hires are promising...

11. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Houston's best football team continues to improve!

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The gimmickier yall get the more of a joke you become are destined to become.

13. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Wow...I take crap from UT cause I have to. But from an A&M fan???? Has anyone done less with more than the Aggies. 2nd Choice of Athletes in Texas and ya'll have won the Galleryfurnature.com bowl in 01, and the Alamo Bowl in 95?

Ya'll are a step above Baylor and Iowa State. Otherwise the Big 12 owns you.

14. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

PWNED!

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ha. I was just trying to get yall guys riled up a little. You can bash us, fair enough. I just wanted more from my home town team than a bag of tricks. I have a real disgust for teams like Hawaii, TT, etc... Good teams expose those offenses for the joke they are. Y'all will be prime to start beating everyone, just not when it counts. Yes, yes, like the recent Aggies. Okay. Enjoy CUSA

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Guess ya'll haven't been a good team for a while, huh? ;)

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Our defense has been a joke no question about it. Even with a great D-Line. The SEC teams all make the spread look like childs play though. See Georgia vs. Hawaii or Tech vs. Alabama.

18. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Quit hating cuase Franball was a choke. Your boy Billy was too scared to play us in basketball and he tried to get out of the Kentucky game in Dec. He got what was coming to him in a UH whopping.

19. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I know. Run and shoot is TERRIBLE. It's just an awful offense, and it's never worked for anyone.
    Nope. It doesn't work at all. It didn't work for the Cougars in the 80s OR or the Oilers in the 90s (Jan 3, 1993 not withstanding). :rolleyes:

And coming from Tech doesn't mean he's running Tech's offense. UH will probably still have a good vertical passing game, but there's nothing that says UH will be a Tech clone.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh wait it worked then so its gotta work now right? Thats why so many teams run it now right? Might as well make the wishbone a standard and play the QB both ways.