1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX 26] Taylor called back up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 3, 2010.

1. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

really? you didn't like the second round last year? or is it that Greene's breakout ...cough.. season this year has you waxing poetic on his ....laziness... skills?

I like bud and his potential, but if it triggers a deal that brings in a quality player, peace out. thanks for the party. Hell, it's not like we aren't overloaded at the three already.

2. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

i doubt budinger gets moved in a trade considering:
    1) he's on the first year of 4 year deal (i think only the first two are guaranteed like that of a first rounder)

2) his production per dollar and per minute(he only plays 18.7mpg) is pretty solid for an 8th/9th man on a team.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

that's exactly why he's most likely to get moved. Cheap talent is always a prized trade asset.

4. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

It's as prized of an asset to the team trading him as it is to the team trying to acquire him. The only reason the rockets are competitive this year despite having two max players out is because the players on this team outplay their contracts. They have a high talent/dollar ratio on almost every rotation player on team. I don't think morey is trying to trade away that flexibility to acquire another big-time contract, because in that case, another injury would dessimate this team.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I understood why we took a swing for the championship with Artest, but IMO, by not getting anything for Ron, it was a waste of time.

2nd Round...yeah...I guess....but that doesn't excite me as much as building a real contender.

DD

6. REEKO_HTOWN

we can blame T-mac and Yao's foot for that.

7. studogg

see, I still see us as well positioned to make ourselves a contender of this and next season. even given the high amount of variables that are in play. moreover, i don't see donte greene as a piece of a championship team, or even a contending team. he just hasn't done anything to merit buyer's remorse for me.

battier/gay is starting to swing the opposite way for me, but not greene. and i think you could still successfully argue that greene netted us ariza. while i'm not dancing up and down to have B.A. Ariza on the team, he's still better than greene.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Morey knows he can't continue having all these undervalue contracts. Eventually they catch up to you and it means possibly never having that big name. He's willing to trade what's necessary to get a specific kind of player. Budinger and Jt were probably drafted incase tmac wasnt back, but i think it's reasonable to also think they were drafted to be offered as part of a tmac deal. That way you can entice another team because it's an insurance policy for tmac if he cant play again (well). It's also a small contract so it doesnt force him to take on bigger crap contracts.

9. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Since a trade is imminent he is either the one Morey is trying to move along with Tracy or it's going to be Budinger and JT replaces him.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Just for fun: In this corner........

21 year old 6'11" SF - Donte Greene

FG% .44
    3pt% .33
    MPG 20.5
    ppg 8.0
    points per shot = 1.151

vs.

24 year old 6'8" SF - Trevor Ariza

FG% .38
    3pt% .30
    MPG 38.3
    ppg 15.6
    Points per shot = 1.021

And when you factor in the contracts, I would take Greene back all day, every day...and he can dribble too....

hehe

DD

11. REEKO_HTOWN

i still wish we kept this guy
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. studogg

you're discounting defense tremendously. you're also taking this year's stats for trevor, when he's been asked to expand outside his true talent level. do yourself a favor and look back at last year for trevor. it's really pretty much identical to Donte's offensive stats. However, Trevor plays defense on a completely different level to donte.

hehehehe

isn't that more like game set and match?

2 people like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

This and Trevor is playing SG(out of position), not SF.

14. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

Greene:
    ast/to ratio: -.704
    usage: 17.8
    per: 11.06
    ft% at age 21: 60.5%
    blocks + steals: 100

Ariza:
    ast/to ratio: 1.525
    usage: 21.2
    per: 12.13
    ft% at age 21: 62.0% (i only included that to show that he's always sucked at fts, so theres no reason to assume greene will become any better either)
    blocks + steals: 30

you can manipulate stats to say anything. But, the thought of a nearly 7foot small forward is pretty interesting.

15. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

whoops i switched their "block+steals" numbers but you get the point.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Not at all Trevor has been terrible on defense this year, he can't stay in front of my dead grandmother.

The only thing he has done is play the passing lanes remotely well.

And now, it is game, set, match.....especially when you consider we would have had a first round pick THIS year too.

:grin:

DD

17. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Why are guys so sure that a trade is going to happen. Wasn't conroy only singed to a 10day contract? It's obvious they probably didn't like what they saw in practice n decided to pass.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

DD, Trevors D has been good-great. Keep telling yourself his not. He may suck at shooting but he is a shut down Kobe, G. Wallace, Richard Jefferson...the list goes on. 1 on 1 he's good.

once in a while he'll get blown by...BY A 6'3 SG.

He's better than Battier on Defense now. Look at the games DD.

19. studogg

i'll take your volley and smoke it back to you.

He's been good to above average on defense and has played the passing lanes extremely well. However, our defense as a whole has suffered as we have had no interior presence to push the penetrator to.

Trevor's defense will be back to being considered above average to superior as we get back a post player either this year or next.

As far as the first rounder, I've seen nothing that would indicate that it's not lottery protected. If we do by chance, make the playoffs, I will take my chances with Morey in the 2nd round with non-guaranteed deals, rather than a guaranteed contract in the late first.

sorry, my racket is starting to catch fire. you might want to go ahead and give up now ;)

20. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Conroy has nothing to do with JT, one is a PG, the other a SG.