1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26 Sports] Rockets Use Disabled Player Exception on Trevor Ariza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Marvin Williams is much more of a scorer than Ariza. I wouldn't hesitate to offer him the full MLE - it would be great value regardless of need. There is a good chance the Hawks wouldn't match because they have financial problems plus Crawford and Johnson already at the position. Of course, if it worked, you'd need to move either McGrady or Battier to make room for him.

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Well, not "official". A strong inclination, yes. Official no. Rockets don't get penalized even if he can come back during the year so it's not official.

3. mms

mms Member

WHT??? LOL

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Am I the only worried about getting a Disabled Player Exception so soon?

All I read for the past week or so, was that we could get it but it take time may be by the end of the off-season, etc.

If the NBA has already agreed with the Rockets that is it highly unlikely Yao comes back this year, that would seem to mean if he does come back from it, he will not be the player he once was.

That makes me sad for Yao, and worried for the Rockets future plans.

5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Why don't people look things up before posting, ever??

The Qualifying offer given to Williams by the Hawks was MORE than the MLE. So, first off he would never take the paycut, and the Hawks would be running faster than Sonic the headhog to match.

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Well I already stated I don't think it's likely that they use the MLE on one player as there are only 2 players left out there that are worth the MLE for this team and one wants more than the MLE and the other doesn't fit the makeup of the team so well.

However, it's pretty obvious that they would keep the MLE over the disabled exception because they have more options with the MLE. They can use it all at once(unlikely) or use it in small chunks(the norm for the rox). Simple logic.

If a player worth the MLE falls into Morey's lap, I don't doubt that he'd use it now. I was quite surprised he spent so much on Ariza, to be quite honest. But I wouldn't be surprised if the only thing he did with the MLE is sign Chase and Tyler to lengthy contracts.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Shane Battier for Marvin Williams? Almost undoubtedly overpaying then (Shane is getting what, $6.9 million next year), but I'd almost rather do that at this point. And still keep the MLE for whatever. Atlanta could use a Shane type player. Houston has much less use for him now...though he'd still be the locker room leader and defender...but if we really wanted to look to the future...just a thought.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Uhhh, no it doesn't.

From the initial article in the first post of the thread.

So while Yao is likely out for the season, it in no way means he's officially or definitely out for the season.

9. cuddie

cuddie Member

From the same guy who said rebuilding doesn't win rings in a thread giving props to Morey comes another gem...

You mean to tell me that you actually expected us to sign Ariza with the DPE? It was a nice thought to ponder but given that Yao has not announced his treatment option, who actually expected us to be granted the DPE so quickly? Even with this fantastic news during the early stages of the offseason, you are eager to be critical. A player acquired with the MLE isn't going to make us contenders this year, especially when you look at the available free agents.

I don't post often, and when I do it is rarely to attack someone. But after seeing your post history, I feel the need to inform you that you, sir, are an idiot.

10. Sonn

Sonn Member

Great News!! Good Job DM

Go CLutch!!!

11. rocket3forlife2

Do we even know if Chase and Tyler are going to be any good in the NBA. Lets see how they look in the summer league first.

12. Egghead

Egghead Member

Yeah... I hope the Rockets could trade Battier for Marvin Williams... Williams can play 2 guard

13. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Dannie Ainge has done it, I'm sure other GMs have used it as well because it gives you the players bird rights and allows you to sign rookies for longer than the standard 2 year deal.

14. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

Marvin Williams is 6'9 and can throw it down. A starting lineup of

Brooks
    Williams
    Ariza
    Scola
    Zaza (hopefully)

15. Egghead

Egghead Member

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

The thing is, I don't really like Ariza being pushed to sg due to him not showing handles yet. But Williams is definitely worth the MLE.

17. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

I'm confused. What happens if Yao so happens to play. They said his options were to have the season ending surgery or to use the walking boot and see if his foot heals in 3 months.

So if Yao so happens to play then what?? does this mean that by the rockets signing Ariza without the mle Yao cant play next season?

18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

In what world is Marvin Williams a 2-guard? He didn't play a single minute there last year. He's strictly a 3/4.

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Good to hear... now lets sign and trade someone to get Amare Stoudemire damnit!

20. Egghead

Egghead Member

Then put Williams at the 2 guard

Brooks/Lowry
    Williams/Taylor/Barry
    Ariza/White/Budinger
    Hayes/Landry
    Scola/Dorsey