1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26 Sports] Rockets Use Disabled Player Exception on Trevor Ariza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Asian Sensation

Still can't get over the fact that we saved the MLE without getting the Lakers involved in a S & T. Unbelievable.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

hmmmmm

so they did something completely logical and expected...

get us a center and sign some more legs and then we'll talk... here's to becoming contenders again...

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Huh?

I thought all along there was a possibility that we would get a disabled player exception for Yao, and I'm certain I'm not the only one.

4. Asian Sensation

Oh my bad. I must have skipped over it. :eek:

5. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Dyess has offers from Detroit and San Antonio. Not a chance of him coming here. Zaza maybe?

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Common practice for Morey maybe (since he's done it 3 times so far) but most 2nd rounders sign for the standard minimum contracts. Aside from the established foreign players that have higher value.

I don't think I've heard of other teams breaking into their MLE to give their 2nd rounders longer deals.

7. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Sweet, we got the exception! Good news is few and far between around these parts, lately. So the MLE drama is not over yet...

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

This is good news.

I think the only player out there right now that I'd like the rox to go after with the full MLE is Milsap, but that's a pipe dream. Marvin Williams would be alright too, but don't think he fits in with Ariza already on board.

In reality I expect Morey to use the MLE to sign the picks and scour the summer leagues and maybe international leagues for big man help, if he uses it at all besides the pick signings.

9. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Can we kneecap him? I hear Tonya Harding is looking for work. At the very least, she could beat him with a hubcap. :D

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

signing draft picks goes towards the MLE?

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Looking back, it is actually a good thing not to do a S&T with the Lakers. So now the Lakers don't have the flexibility we have.

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Crisco, don't get this wrong, I'm not capping on you specifically, but what part of using the Disabled exception on Ariza because it can't be split amongst mutiple players makes people think they would then turn around and use the full MLE on one player.

Seems pretty clear to me that this was done so that we could sign our second rounders and maybe a backup big.

13. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6519742.html

In an indication that Yao Ming will miss all of the 2009-10 season, the Rockets signed Trevor Ariza using the disabled player exception they expect to receive with Yao out.

The use of the injury exception would indicate he plans to undergo season-ending surgery, rather than choosing the more conservative option of immobilizing the injury again in the hopes that his hairline fracture would heal without surgery.

The upcoming season will be the fifth consecutive season that has been interrupted, ended or in this case missed because of a bone injury.

If Yao was to recover quickly from the surgery, Yao could come back and play next season, though granting the exception indicates that the league agrees that Yao will likely miss the season.

Yao, 28, had pins placed in the same bone in February, 2008. Yao recovered in time to resume workouts in less than five months and was able to play in the Olympics and in 77 regular-season games without problems.

The bone cracked again, however, May 8 in Game 3 of the Rockets' Western Conference semifinals series against the Los Angeles Lakers. Stunned to discover the injury the next day, Yao and the Rockets were shocked when a CT scan showed on June 24 that it had not it had not healed and had instead gotten worse.

Yao has two seasons remaining on his contract. Though he was expected to exercise his right to opt out after next season, missing all of the season would likely lead him to remain under his current Rockets contract through the 2010-11 season.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey called Yao "the cornerstone" of the franchise as recently as last month, before the most recent CT scan revealed that the bone had not healed as expected.

Though the Rockets have not contended for a championship as hoped when Yao was the first player taken in the 2002 NBA Draft, he has brought huge financial benefits for the franchise, with the Rockets attracting a large variety of sponsorship deals with Chinese companies. Rockets players have had shoe deals with China apparel companies, including current Rockets Shane Battier and Luis Scola.

Yao's injury and apparent decision to undergo season-ending surgery could end his injury-plagued on-court partnership with Tracy McGrady, who is rehabilitating after season-ending microfracture surgery and is heading into the final season of his contract.

A seven-time All-Star, Yao has averaged 19.1 points on 52.5 percent shooting in his career, adding 9.3 rebounds and 1.9 blocked shots.

In the playoffs, he has averaged 19.8 points and 9.3 rebounds in 28 games, advancing past the first round for the first time in four playoff appearances with this seasons win against the Portland Trail Blazers.

He and McGrady have never advanced in the playoffs together, with McGrady out for this season's postseason.

Yao missed the previous postseason, also with a hairline fracture of his tarsal navicular bone in his left foot.

In the 2006-07 season, he suffered a hairline fracture on his right anterior medial tibial plateau (leg) in December 2006, missing 32 games before returning late in the season. He played in that seasons seven-game playoff series against the Utah Jazz, though he was not at full strength after coming back from the injury.

Yao missed the final four games of the 2005-06 season when he fractured the fifth metatarsal bone in his left foot.

The four-consecutive seasons with injuries followed three seasons to begin his career in which he missed just two games. The 2008-09 season had been his most injury-free season since then, until his latest injury sent him searching for long-term solutions and finally a decision that could impact the rest of his career.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

as noted in this thread, you can sign 2nd round picks to the minimum salary for 1 year and it doesn't count against the MLE. This is what we did with Landry. As we saw, once Landry produced, we then had a difficult time signing him the next offseason (though eventually did at what now seems to be an attractive price).

If the Rockets wanted to sign Taylor or Budinger to multi-year deals now, they'd have to use the MLE to do so. Personally, I don't think this is the target, as you are much more likely to draft someone in the second round that doesn't pan out than does, notwithstanding the fact the team paid a lot of money already for those picks. Not saying they are targeting one more big signing. They may use small chunks of the MLE, if left, to sign either one to a 2 year deal, but I don't think this is a given.

15. rocket3forlife2

If Morey can pull off Millsap I would personally wash his car every home game at the Toyota Center next season.

16. Cowboii

Cowboii Member

Morey does it again!

GM OF THE YEAR!

What a day for Houston!

17. yo

yo Contributing Member

Is Morey really a "genius" for applying for the Disabled Player Exception on a guy who's probably going to be out all next season? :confused: :confused: I think 29 other GM's would have done that...

18. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Shucks!! Thanks

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Uhhh, these people DO understand that this means that Yao is officially done for the year, right? In terms of 2009-2010, they now appear to be NBA lotto bound so that MLE money is basically worthless in terms of making enough of a difference to offset the loss of Yao.

20. jm434

jm434 Contributing Member

seems unlikely... check link below..

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60429/20090708/source_pachulia_hawks_agree_to_terms/

Jul 08, 2009 3:33 PM EST
    Zaza Pachulia has agreed to terms on a long-term deal with the Hawks, according to a pair of sources.

The center has spent the last four seasons in Atlanta, playing under a $16 million deal. The contract is believed to be the same length, but for significantly more money.