1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26 Sports] Rockets Use Disabled Player Exception on Trevor Ariza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Jul 8, 2009.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Morey is the man! :)

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I think they have to be used to add extra years to their contracts? Isn't that what they did with Dorsey?

3. Pringles

Pringles Member

Possible uses:

Give 3 or 4 year deal to Taylor. (possibly Chase as well)

Possibly re-sign Wafer - if we still want him.

4. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

if they are 2nd round picks they are not guaranteed so you have to use the MLE/cap space to sign them

my question is do the rockets have TWO medical exceptions?, one for Yao and one for tracy...tracy missed more than half the games last season and looks like he'll miss more than half this year

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No. TMac would need to be expected to miss all of next year.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Dialogue between Larry Coon (the CBA FAQ guy) and Jonathan Feigen, from before. It's good to know that the Rockets were clear on all their options. Good call on that thread, NIKEstrad.

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2009/07/pondering_the_rockets_future_w.html#comments

[rquoter]
    The problem with the sign-and-trade idea is that Ariza will be subject to Base Year Compensation. If he & Artest are signed for the same amount, they can't be traded for each other, as Ariza will count as $3.1M in outgoing salary, and the Lakers can only take back $3.98M.

More players can be added on both sides to make it work, but now you're talking about a much larger deal than a simple MLE signing -- especially when LA (and possibly Houston) has no intention of adding even more salary, which makes having their MLE moot.

(I was told the way to do it was pretty simple and obvious, but I don't know what they are discussing. To protect his mid-level without any immediate plans to use it would be a typical Morey thing to do. -- Jonathan)

Posted by: Larry Coon at July 7, 2009 10:05 AM

Jonathan -- It's not obvious to me, and I know all the tricks. :)

It works for Houston's side, but not from LA's. LA doesn't have a trade exception big enough for Artest, so the only way to get him to LA is for the Lakers to sign him outright using the MLE, or to send out at least $4.39M in salary. Ariza would count $3.1M outgoing, and about $5.6M (whatever the MLE comes out to be) incoming.

It'd take a larger deal -- for instance, a colleague suggested Ariza + Morrison for Artest, Cook & Barry would work -- but I doubt either side would want that deal.

I can see the benefit in protecting the MLE just in case -- there might be a bargain or two to be had as teams prepare for the worst next summer. And if there was an easy way to do it (like a straight double Sign-and-Trade), then it makes a lot of sense. But the downside to a larger deal outweighs the upside of preserving the MLE with no real intent to spend it and no clear target on whom to use it.

(It wasn't obvious to me either, or I would have floated it as an option in the blog. It's funny your colleague mentioned Cook and Barry. I thought about them because of Cook's history with the Lakers and Barry's ability to fit for one season into their style. I could not find someone else to put in the deal. Vujacic might have been worth considering if he did not have two seasons left on his deal. I hope they work something out just so I can see what they have in mind. -- Jonathan)

Posted by: Larry Coon at July 7, 2009 10:26 AM

[/rquoter]

8. Asian Sensation

Wow Morey never ceases to amaze me. On a BBS full of HUNDREDS and THOUSANDS of Rockets fans not one single fan thought of this. Of course we didn't know for a fact that we would be granted the "DPE" but even then I'm completely shocked :eek: . Simply Brilliant!!! Cheers to Morey! :D

9. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Well now, that was unexpected. Good job, Morey! Saved the MLE without having Ariza count against our salary cap this year.

10. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Lets get gortat to change his mind and that would be a hell of an offseason

11. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Is there still an LLE or minimum exception i think it was called? If so, do we have it available to us this year?

12. Mashing

Mashing Member

Man, I don't know how Morey gets the NBA to eat out of his hand. He did a great job in getting the DPE so quickly.

13. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Its common practice to use the MLE to sign rookies to multi-year contracts so the team can lock them up for reasonable contracts.

14. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

that is awesome. now we have some flexibility and options. very good move

15. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

He still counts towards the cap?

16. blackistan

blackistan Member

Now more money for 2010 damn morey is cold

17. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

We use it to sign Barry last season, can't use it this year.

18. abc2007

abc2007 Member

DD rejoices! :D

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Um, lol, yes we had. None of us had any way of knowing whether they'd been granted the exception or not, but it had been mentioned as a way to sign Ariza (or someone else) many times.

20. Rockets_blood

Rockets_blood Member

MOREY DOES IT AGAIN
    [​IMG]