1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26 Sports] Rockets Use Disabled Player Exception on Trevor Ariza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Jul 8, 2009.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I AM NOT WORTHY I AM wORTHY I AM NOT WORTHY

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Is the MLE counted for purposes of paying the luxury tax or is it "excepted" for calculating the luxury tax?

3. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

It's counted.

4. Bay Rock

Bay Rock Member

Wow!! :eek: :eek:

Yao has not decided a course of treatment, but we have applied for and received the Exception. Amazing!

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think the "Exception" only applies to being able to exceed the salary cap. The team still has to be pay the luxury tax if they go over with an MLE signing. Which is why my guess is the Rockets don't take advantage of it.

6. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Stern was smart to grant Yao the exception, since he is pretty much Les and his cash cow.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Only way it would have been better is if we struck that deal to do a double S&T with the Lakers. But this isn't shabby either.

I don't know who's still available that is a good (and obtainable) value at the MLE. Breaking it up for smaller pieces is a good way to go. We aren't saving the season with an MLE player.

Look to the future!

8. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Considering how much they paid for the picks, they must be especially high on Taylor's ability, so using part of the MLE on him to sign a longer deal with a team option would be very useful in the long run.

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

This is correct. It's simply an "exception" that allows for spending over the cap, but does not change the resulting penalties of spending over the cap, or luxury tax line.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is great for the team if they want to lock up Jermaine Taylor and Budinger for more than 2 years, or sign a big man like Mcdyess, etc, etc.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=4630480#post4630480

#6.

The only disadvantage to using the disabled player's exception in this case v. the MLE is we lose the equivalent of a 6m trade exception.

This tells me the Rockets likely hope to use the MLE for multiple moves worth greater than the minimum salary -- such as signing both Taylor and Budinger to 3 year deals.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If Les/Morey uses all or most of the MLE, I think it will not be for just this year, but for someone who fit their long-term goal. For example, Atlanta is rumored to be offering Pachulia a slight pay raise over his current $4 million a year level on a new multi-year deal. If the Rockets think that price is reasonable, I can see them signing him, and paying tax because Pachulia is only 25, and is likely to be useful both next season and beyond (whether Yao returns healthy or they land a big time FA... or-- we hope-- both).

13. mic

mic Contributing Member

Ha. Why didn't I think of this? Morey owns.

14. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Morey answered question in the Ariza press conference "because of league announcement on salary cap going down for all NBA teams, Rockets still getting nice amount of interest for McGrady".

Kind of hinting like TMac's contract is more attractive to those teams trying to get their salary cap in order for 2010.

#34 ron413, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Can't you only use the MLE to sign free agents? Drafted rookies, technically, aren't free agents so I'm not sure if we can use the MLE to sign them. Does anybody know for certain?

16. uchlha

uchlha Member

Would be nice to get Odom for max MLE money but I highy doubt that if hes holding out for 10M a year..

Be funny too Lakers get Artest Rockets get Odom/Ariza.. but its just a dream lol..

Who else is still available that would improve our team with the MLE?

17. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

That was a quick decision on Yao's disability exception. Not complaining but he hasn't even made the decision about his surgery nor does anyone know if he will be out the whole season or not. If he's not out we still keep the exception, Sweet.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not sure, but I think at least for second rounders you can use it.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Morey never fails to dissapoint.

20. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

wow ... I'm impressed ... :) ... time to check whats still available in the player asset candy store.