1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26 Sports] Elston Turner accepts offer to join Adelman, Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HOUastrocketexan, Jun 8, 2007.

1. HOUastrocketexan

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/p...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

Houston Rockets Former Sacramento Kings assistant coach Elston Turner tells FOX 26 he has decided to withdraw from consideration for the Kings head coaching job and accept a position as an assistant on Rick Adelman's staff with the Houston Rockets.

Turner was one of six candidates interviewed for the Sacramento head coaching job last month but no decision has been reached by the Kings.

"I just chose to get on with Rick," Turner told FOX 26. "I thought it was unfair to keep Rick waiting while he was trying to assemble his staff. So I made my decision to come with him."

Turner says he has yet to sign his Rockets contract but considers that a formality.

"We just have to work out the deal and that will be the icing on the cake," Turner said.

Turner was an assistant to Adelman in Sacramento for six years. When Adelman was introduced as the Rockets head coach he said then Turner was his No. 1 choice to join his staff.

"I know what he likes and what he he expects, " Turner said. "I am confident I can give him that. We can do some good things there that will not only excite the team and the organization but the fans as well.

"I feel great about it. In my opinion, out of all the jobs that were available, this is the best one."

Turner believes he has a lot to offer the Rockets organization.

"Work ethic for sure," Turner said. "I'm precise and meticulous. I believe in being prepared and paying attention to detail. I have been involved with the NBA since 1981. I will be able to bring insight and leadership."

Turner was an assistant coach for the CBA's Quad City Thunder and a player-coach with the league's Chicago Rockers before going to work for the Portland Trail Blazers. He worked in Portland for four years before joning Adelman and the Kings in 2001.

Turner, a 6-5 guard, played eight NBA seasons in the NBA, three with Dallas, three with Denver and two with Chicago. He averaged 4.7 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.8 assists in 505 career games in the NBA.

Dallas chose Turner in the second round of the 1981 NBA Draft. As a senior at Ole Miss, he led the Rebels to their first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance in 1981.

Rockets officials could not be reached for comment Friday night.

I hope Mario Elie will be next.

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Good move, he was Adelman's top assistant in Sacramento.

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Can't wait to see this offense in motion. Who is he going to coach? Rafer and the guards?

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is a great hire because Turner is the guy Adelman wanted the most.

I doubt Mario Elie joins up because one ambitious lead assistant on the staff should be plenty.

5. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Damn, I can't wait till next season begins...

6. LFE171

LFE171 Member

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I agree with your 1st point, but Elie needs to coach if he ever wants to head coach. He's a smart feller and his wife and he are H-town 'anchored'.

8. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

Um, he was an assistant with Golden State.

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I want Mario next!!! I hope Mario will still desire to coach with the Rocckets! :p

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

Fire Adelman. :mad:
    We cant aruge with offense, but defense rules. :mad:

11. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

12. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

As long as he doesn't bring in Vlade Divac to coach Yao :rolleyes:

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm guessing, but if Mario wants to ever coach the Rockets, he needs to go elsewhere and be an assistant again. I doubt Mario will get a top job unless he's a hot assistant on another team that is successful or maybe is the lead assistant on a team where the head coach is fired. No team is going to hire him straight from being a pre-game commentator.

14. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Why not, imagine the scene of "Flopper Yao". ;)

15. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

i still want elie...we need that type of grit and heart from an issistant coach...

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Because god knows we sure as hell won't find it on the court from our players.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

good move. bring in someone who knows what adleman expects.

now for the other two spots...

mario allie and dwane casey!

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/214414.html
    I guess Turner will be the assistant head coach & defensive coach. So the remaining vacancies will be for the offense coach and manager/scout?

19. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

If I'm not mistaken, Ellie HAS been an assistant coach before hasn't he? I thought he may have even been an assistant in San Antonio for a while. I'm not 100% sure about that though

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

More like yawn...