1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26] Rockets to Sign James White through 2009-10

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Mar 23, 2009.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/090323_rockets_sign_white

HOUSTON - The Houston Rockets have agreed to sign guard/forward James White for the rest of this year and for the 2009-2010 season.

"He will sign the contract (Monday) and the deal includes next year as well," said Bill McCandless, White's agent.

The club had signed White to a pair of 10-day contracts. The second was to expire Tuesday.

He has played in one game so for Houston scoring five points with one steal and one blocked shot.

"This is a testament that hard work eventually pays off and James White has worked very hard," said Bill McCandless, White's agent.

"There were those who believed James might not be able to play in the NBA but he has really paid his dues which included playing a year in Europe."

McCandeless said White was able to show the Rockets what he is all about.

"It was a given James is a world-class athlete and the Rockets were really sold on all his all-around game and they believe, with some work, he can be a guy who can be in their rotation."

The Rockets signed White out of the NBA D-league where he was averaging 25.9 points for Anaheim.

"James decided in the D-league to use his athleticism and go to the basket instead of settling for the jumper which has been critical to his development," McCandless said.

Prior to that White played in seven games, starting two, for the San Antonio Spurs during the 2006-2007 season. During that stint White averaged 8.3 points a game.

2 people like this.
  2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wow, Morey and the crew must of saw something in him... :eek:

2009-2010 Slam Dunk Entry for the Rockets....JAMESSSSSSSS WHITEEEEE! :cool:

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Giving a guaranteed contact through 09-10 sounds premature,but I don't think management has much to lose over a minimum deal.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

He'll put in his dues at the end of our bench too, but Morey's got a great track record now, 3 out of 4 with Brooks, Landry, and Wafer paying dividends within the year they were acquired. The book on Dorsey is still out, but it's not looking too good at this point. Finally, V-Span, you don't count. That was a Mulligan, which eventually turned into a Scola.

So good luck White, don't let us down, and most importantly, don't let MOREY down! He's got a standard to maintain...

1 person likes this.
  5. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Wafer Insurance secured. :)

6. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

The rockets are trying to get young and athletic. No more novak's and ryan bowen's on this team even though i like bowen's effert when he was here but i would rather have someone that can jump out he gym and take it to the hole. Rockets game should be big attraction in the next few years.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Good move. The kid showed glimpse of promise in the game against Twolves. Albeit it was garbage time against a inferior team, I was somewhat impressed by his shooting ability. That was a total surprise to me because he was advertised as a freakish athlete before that.
    I think he must have done something really right in the practice to impress Morey and the Coaching staff. With the record that this coaching staff has done discovering relatively unknown young players, Kevin Martin in Sac; Brooks and Landry here, I think they must have see something special in White, which is good.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It didn't say his deal for next year is guaranteed.

1 person likes this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I was assuming it was,if it isn't that's better because he will have to work for it instead of getting comfortable.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

good job. one less thing to worry about in the off season.

and, another steal from san antonio!!!

11. right1

right1 Member

Now, it's imperative that everyone understand that his nickname is "In Flight" James White. :cool: And, yes, he should challenge Lebron in next year's All-Star Slam Dunk contest. Perhaps, Von Wafer and James White could team up together. I believe Von competed in the McDonald's slam dunk contest vs. Lebron while in high school. Not sure who won. Would guess Lebron.

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Good for him. I figured this would be the case.

Morey continues to collect talent.

13. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Morey must have seem something in this kid during practice or in the locker room.

I'm happy for White. I hope he works his way into the rotation and makes an impact on all the games he plays.

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Solid job.. Morey does it again, for the future, it'll be even better for us. :D

15. Asian Sensation

Say Harro two duh 2010 NBA Sram dunk contess weenuh James frrrriiight White!!!

I expect a shoe deal for this guy too.

16. Roddimus

Roddimus Member

I would like to see james white see some more time on the floor.

17. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

First Von Wafer, and now James White.

Rockets are doing a good job of picking up players who were considered trash and getting their heads in the right direction to become NBA players.

I wish they would release practice video so we could see what kind of a player he is.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Peak the dunk explosion. Peak ought to snatch this guy for representation if they are serious about the US market.

19. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I think the Rockets are taking a flier on this guy due to the team's limited draft this offseason. They appear to be investing the care and cash that would normally go into signing a pick into White instead. Wish we knew what we had, but Morey/Adelman's track record on guys like Wafer, Landry, Brooks, and Lowry has earned some trust outta me.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Great news. Adelman and Morey obviously saw something in White. As somebody already mentioned: one less thing to worry about this offseason.