1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fox 26 Report: Alton Ford

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MLC1MGC2ALC3, Nov 9, 2003.

1. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

Per last nights sport report Local son Alton Ford is scheduled to be worked out. Does me have a change to stick? Will playing in his home town motivate him? I hope so! Good Luck Alton!:)

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Interesting, dont know if anybody caught this on the front page.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/rox/2211023

Better than signing Anthony Mason.

Rockets close to signing Ford
    The Rockets could soon run a Ford in Toyota Center.

With Maurice Taylor's suspension sending the Rockets back to the free-agent lists, the Rockets were close Saturday to signing former University of Houston and Milby forward Alton Ford.

The 6-9, 280-pound Ford was a second-round pick (51st overall) by the Suns after one season at Houston. He averaged 10.8 and 5.9 rebounds for the Cougars. At Milby, he was a finalist for the Naismith High School Player of the Year award.

Ford, 22, played in 64 games in two seasons with the Suns, averaging 2.7 points and 1.8 rebounds. Ford played well for the Magic's summer league, averaging 11.6 points per game in the Orlando Pro Summer League. He was released late in the preseason.

--JONATHAN FEIGEN

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

AF is ok to sign. TJ Ford would have been better, alas...

4. New Jack

New Jack Member

Right now I'm pretty happy with Padgette and Braggs, but Ford wouldn't be a bad pick-up in case we need another post-up player to take some of the load off Yao.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

When I saw he was a FA at the beginning of the year, I really wanted us to sign him. Not because I think he'll be a difference maker, but just because he's young. If you look up "project" in the dictionary, there's a picture of Alton.

Really, what have we got to lose by signing him? Good move.

6. danjojo

danjojo Member

Quite interesting...although i don't know anything about the guy, it should not be too difficult to find someone to fill Taylor's spot...

7. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Just sign him to a 10 day contract. If he plays well then resign him. It's not like teams are going to be fighting for his services or anything. If he plays bad as expected, MoT's suspension should be close to being over by then.

8. mos-def

mos-def Member

didn't he complain because his coach at UH was too tough? isn't that why he left? he ain't gonna like jvg then.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

ive never seen him play but i know we don't need to sign a PF the way braggs playing. what we need is a center so that we don't have to see a lineup of baggs and padgett at F/C.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It's official, according to:
    http://www.clutchfans.net/news.cfm?NewsID=1129

Rockets Officially Sign Alton Ford

Former UH product signs dotted line with Rockets to play forward/center

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2003 11:55 AM CST

By Clutch
    Copyright 2003 ClutchFans.net

The Rockets officially signed Alton Ford this afternoon, ClutchFans has learned.
    Ford, a 6-foot-9, 275-pound forward, played one season at the University of Houston and played the past two years with the Phoenix Suns. He drew Rocket interest when Maurice Taylor was lost to suspension for violating the league's substance abuse program.

More on this as it becomes available.

Note, however: "The Rockets officially signed Alton Ford this afternoon..." while time posted was 11:55 AM CST. Strange?

11. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

My mistake. Should be this "morning". Since it just happened and it was close to noon, I just got mixed up. He's signed though.

13. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

This IMO is a good move. Ford is a better risk to have on the bench (IR) than Ben Davis, although Davis is safe until he recovers. Ford has always been an intriguing player because of his size.

Ford hurt us rebounding wise in games during his rookie year but was made into an unnecessary project with the selection and rise of Amare Stoudemire. He has always had the tools. I hope he is mature enough to let JVG make a player out of him. Good to have a homie home.

14. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Decent pick up, I would have perferred Jelani McCoy though.

15. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing that with the signing of Ford, Van Gundy and management have no confidence in playing Amaechi (aka "Man-Boobs"). Anyone heard any rumors regarding this (i.e. is Amaechi stinking it up in practice, bad attitude, etc.)?

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sorry, just a lighthearted comment.

Thanks for getting the info -- quickly and 'timely'.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I was wondering about that, too. Man-Boobs isn't a great player but he would fog up a mirror if you put it under his nose. I'm assuming. But he doesn't set foot on the floor. Ever. Trade?

18. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Who would want him?

19. neXXes

neXXes Member

Amaechi hasn't updated his website since the trade. If things were going reasonably well, I would have expected an update in the past month.

20. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

I would have preferred Terrence Morris. That guy was a solid role player and could shoot the rock. Poor guy can't get a break.

Don't know much about this Ford fella. Probably won't be around very long, unless he rips $hit up.

Man-boobs.....yeah, what is his deal? He must reaaaaally suck to get no PT, even after the PF fiasco. Dayum, what a waste of space. Maybe JVG is intimidated by his "intelligence".....or his rack.