1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26] Mike Harris to Stay With Rockets Through Next Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Mar 26, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Wow you could not be more wrong......

We needed a backup PG in the worst way, and both Bobby Jackson and Mike Harris are shooting at a higher percentage than Bonzi Wells and it opened up more playing time for Carl Landry.

It was a good trade for now, and the future.

Actually, I believe it was a rare trade that was good for both teams.

Also, by signing him NOW, the team does not have to use the LLE or the MLE it has for next year........so it still has the full MLE to use.....another GOOD move by Morey.

DD

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Mike Harris is a younger, more athletic and better shooting version of Bonzi. All he needs to do is work on his back-to-the-basket game to make him a complete player. Bonzi was going to bolt after this season anyway. This way, we keep Harris for another year, saving money and using the MLE on a big free agent perhaps.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You could propose that same "what if" about any marginal player in the NBA. Very very unlikely but possible in theory and discussion.

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Harris has a great post up game, that is primarily where he thrives.....but he needs to be playing SF I think to take advantage of it....where he gets a smaller matchup that he can overpower.

I would like to see a front line of Scola, Landry and Harris....with a backcourt of Tmac and Battier...that is a very big lineup......all around...

DD

5. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

We've already seen Harris, Deke, Hayes Bobby and Tracy. And it sucked (against Hornets).

Maybe Harris is a giid player, he is fighter, he plays so hard but i don't like when he's takin too manu jumpers and plays Sf.

I'd put him on OF or as you said, try to post up him at SF

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Harris is the real deal. Very good signing by Morey.

7. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

That was Rick Pitino who said that.

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

The lineup he proposed is much different from the one you mention us already seeing. Scola and Landry both provide more offensive firepower than Deke and Hayes. We might lose a little defensive edge but the lineup he proposed is intriguing.

9. RikQuik

RikQuik Member

I am still in a state of shock. We haevn't had any decent rookies in years, and suddenly they are coming out of the woodwork. This definitely isn't the old Rockets.

Morey, I am impressed.

10. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

Im wondering who is going to make the playoff rotation. Rox need some size in the paint, or else we'll get dominated by teams with size, like we did against the Celtics.

11. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Bonzi I can believe.. but MJ has had the whole year to prove himself. Well.. the only thing he proved is that we definitely didn't need him.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i don't see any minutes at the 4 or 5 left for a new player. out of a possible 96 minutes at those possitions, yao will play 36 and scola will play 30. that leaves 30 minutes a game for landry and chuck with landry seeing about 24mpg.

so to spend $6M on a player who can't beat out scola or landry for minutes means spending that money on a 6 minute per game player... $1M per minute per game? pass! lol

we're set up front. though i'd like to sign a big shot blocker to replace deke. has to be a vet that's ok not playing a lot...maybe mourning, ratliff or foyle.

if i had to bet on a roster move this summer, i'd put my money on jackson/luther/pick going for mike miller. the grizz still need to cut costs in order to better sell the team. ending contract/young player/and pick are exactly what they are looking for.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Speaking of D-league... Harris is eligible to play in the D-League next season correct?

14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't really think this Mike Harris signing thing is a big deal, he's good insurance if a guy gets injured or if we end up trading Hayes for some reason.

The kid SHOULDN'T be on the court that much, if he is we have problems. You guys remember we couldn't find any time for Hayes when Yao was playing.

He really doesn't have anything other than hustle that makes me giddy. We'll see, if he develops more of a perimeter game (effective dribble drives, triple threat game, jump shot), to where he is better than a Bonzi then i would be very happy.

15. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Well I know that Scola and Landry are pretty good weapon offensivly.

I just wanted to notice that I don't wanna see Harris playing a lot of minutes on SF. I'd better like to see him as a PF but now with Landry healthly again his minutes might be reduced.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Yes, I believe as a 2nd year player he is eligible...as is Brooks, Landry and Scola.

DD

17. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Is there any confirmation on whether or not next year is guaranteed? Mark Vandermeer said this morning that it's not guaranteed, and I texted to say that I thought it was (since the article didn't say it wasn't, I assumed it was) and he replied, matter of factly, "the second year is not guaranteed."

Is he speculating, or is there any proof of this?

18. nokidding

nokidding Member

I like Harris, but he is not in the same level as Bonzi. Bonzi is good not just because of his size, Bonzi has several very good post moves that make him unstoppable for a small opponent.

19. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

Great signing! Dude is another scaper! That's what makes this team special. :)

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I like that trade. We'd be pretty much set right there.

Skip/Francis/Brooks
    T-Mac/Miller/
    Shane/Harris/Novak
    Scola/Landry/
    Yao/Deke

Inactive list: Gerald Green, 1st Round Pick, 2nd Round Pick

Of course, this is assuming that Deke comes back next year. I think will we take a big man in the draft, hopefully a true center. Gerald Green gets a spot after coming back strong with his stellar summer league performance :cool: .