1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26] Houston Astros Parts Ways with Ty Wigginton

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Dec 12, 2008.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/p...n=6&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

I can't believe they couldn't find a taker for Wiggy after the year he had last year. They should have found a way to keep him. Who starts at third now? I hope they don't think Blum is a starter because he stinks. By the way, why the hell did they tender a contract to Brandon Backe. There are better pitchers and ways to spend that money then on him.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Absolutely ridiculous. I had a feeling this would happen, based on what happened with Wolf and prior Astros' cases, though I didn't say anything. You can't begin to convince me that a .800 OPS+ 3B has zero value.

Unreal. And somehow, they actually did tender Backe. If you need to choose a player to non-tender and cut costs, how in the world do you bring back Backe? He's far, far worse than replacement level.

I give up.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Ridiculous. I'm literally laughing.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Casey Blake gets a 3 year deal worth 17 million from the Dodgers. Wiggy for 1 year at 6 or 7 million is a great deal with little risk.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

awesome move, couldn't be happier drayton.

6. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

wow, how wack.

we are going to blow big donkey balls next season.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The mismanagement of the Astros continues.

8. RedRaiderRocket

Drayton = garbage. One of our highest run producers in the 2nd half dumped.

9. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Maybe I need to pay more attention, but I have yet to hear any teams that want to contend next year talking about "economics" as much as the Astros have and bringing up the economy itself every chance they get. Hello, the Astros are supposed to distract me from life's problems, not use them as a scapegoat to save some cash.

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

So, our pitching is still gonna suck...and now our offense took a hit. Yet the organization actually expects to compete next year. Wow.

12. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Geoff Blum.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Gonna be a long summer of watching yet another losing season thanks to Drayton and his "cost cutting" moves.

I'm beyond sick of of the mismanagement of this organization.

14. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

what is hilarious to me is that Houston is as recession proof as it gets when you look at the 27 MLB cities but yet we are the first ones to trim payroll

15. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Baffling. Wigginton did a GREAT Carlos Lee impression when El Caballo went down.

Please tell me Backe isn't coming back just because he is a local guy and a firebrand in the clubhouse.

I heard Backe interviewed after the last game of the season and even HE acted like he didn't deserve to come back.

I gotta hope we are just in stealth rebuild mode with Wade and Tal just adding some names Drayton has heard of like Hampton to disguise what we are doing.

16. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Ugh. If Drayton doesn't want this team to be a winner, than he needs to sell it to someone who does. Ty had a really nice 2nd half of last season (probably the best hitter during that stretch), and you let him go? I guess as long as the people of Houston keep going to the games to watch this team, no matter how they're playing, he has no reason to spend money making this team better.

17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I have two issues with this statement. If this was any type of rebuilding, you trade guys with value for prospects, good or bad, especially when your minor league system sucks as much as our's. We got nothing back for him, just gave him his walking papers and said thanks. I'm also not sure why you're implying that the baseball folks are trying to fool Drayton...

18. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Yeah man I can't believe you had to watch those 2 losing seasons since Drayton took over the team in '93. What an outrage, who would stand for that!

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

"He gives us a third baseman for certainly now and the future," Purpura said. "He's under our control this year and two more years. Position players are in hot demand."

Oh Timmy P, if you'd only known.

20. shsu33

shsu33 Member

This has to open something else up. Lets just hope the FO knows what its doing. Still can't believe we couldn't get any minor league prospects for him?!