1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX 26] Hakeem, Clyde Will Be Together Again

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by amorephd, Sep 2, 2008.

1. amorephd

amorephd Member

Drexler to present Hakeem at Hall of Fame
    Last Edited: Tuesday, 02 Sep 2008, 9:31 PM CDT
    Created: Tuesday, 02 Sep 2008, 9:20 PM CDT

HOUSTON -- Friday in Springfield, Massachusetts Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler will be together again. Olajuwon is being inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

Drexler is already a member. Olajuwon has asked his former college and pro teammate to be his presenter and Drexler gladly accepted.

"I thought it was great," Drexler said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "For Hakeem to ask me to be with him on this special day is quite special."

Drexler said Olajuwon asked him last month to be by his side when Olajuwon makes his acceptance speech.

"Hakeem has been like a brother to me since the first time I met him when he came over from Nigeria," Drexler said. "He has always been a special friend and he knows I'm supportive of everything he does and vice-versa."

Drexler pointed out at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame the presenter doesn't have to make a speech. The presenter walks with the inductee up to the podium and is by his side during the acceptance speech.

Drexler was by Olajuwon's side when the two led the University of Houston to the NCAA Championship game in 1983. The two former NBA All-Stars were side by side in 1995 when the Houston Rockets won their second straight NBA Championship.

In fact Drexler has done just about everything you can do in the game of basketball with the exception of being a presenter at the Hall of Fame. That void will be filled Friday.

"After presenting Hakeem in the Hall my work will be done," Drexler said.

Then Drexler paused for a moment and amended that last thought.

"And it will really be done when we get Guy Lewis in the Hall of Fame," Drexler said.

Lewis was the head coach at the University of Houston when Olajuwon and Drexler were charter members of the team affectionately known as Phi Slama Jama.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Man, I'm really looking forward to that!

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I just used Hakeem as the subject for an assignment the other day and it was then and only then that I realized he was being inducted this week. Cool! :cool:

4. alethios

alethios Member

Good gallery to go with that induction. What a ride he took us on.

http://www.nba.com/gallery/HOF_Olajuwon/20080829_1.html

they flubbed it though - they kept referring to the championship where the dream took down the young upstart named Shaq as the 94 finals. For shame...tsk, tsk, tsk.

5. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

That's gonna be special.

6. Asian Sensation

I used to hate Hakeem since he was so dominant. I grew up a Die-Hard Drexler/Blazers fan. The day Drexler became a Rocket was the day Rockets became my favorite team and Hakeem became my 2nd favorite player. This will be a special day and I'm looking forward to it.

7. BleedsRocketRed

Anyone know what channel this is going to be on?

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

usually, espn carries it, and nba tv repeats it.

hopefully someone captures it.

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

LOL @ the caption for the 10th picture in the gallery...

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i hope hakeem and clyde both make mention of Guy V Lewis.

11. tsunami

tsunami Member

so what? they have been together many time this year, couple times together at dinner, couple times together in a party.... :rolleyes:

12. RareAir

RareAir Member

too bad guy lewis can't be there to help present him as well.

13. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

I would have thought that to be hist first choice. To ask Guy. What didnt he, and if he did is Guy's health the reason? It could be the closest thing Guy gets to that HOF before he passes, a damn shame too.

14. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Good for both of them! Thank god Clyde won't be making a speech!

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

will this event be televised live anywhere? I am in austin so I won't be able to watch local houston tv unless it's online.

16. Stilldream'n34

ESPN classic and NBAtv

17. conquistador#11

I hope that after listening to dream, those around the country who have neglected guy lewis as a Hall of famer, will finally get their heads out of their...

18. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

shouldn't he be playing for Nigeria?
    [​IMG]

19. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

awesome, he really deserves this!

<3 hakeem

20. ayears

ayears Member

I guess, in our life, there ain't many persons(know or meet) whos make us feel special, glad to know Hakeem and Clyde feel both in that way.

It's worth cherishing...