1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fox 26] Astros Reach Agreement with Mike Hampton

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Dec 1, 2008.

1. msn

msn Member

*ignore list*

Until you at least reach puberty.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He's still watching WGN waiting for the next Cub playoff update.

3. T Rex

T Rex Member

I like it.....low risk move with some upside. Also it's nice to get a lefty to replace Wolf who looks like will be moving on.

Hampton turns down Braves, signs with Astros
    Free agent left-hander took less money to be closer to children
    By DAVID O'BRIEN, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Monday, December 01, 2008

Now that he’s finally healthy, pitcher Mike Hampton is bolting the Braves.

The veteran free agent agreed to a one-year, $2 million contract with Houston, taking less money than the Braves offered in order to be closer to his children in Arizona, according to two people familiar with the situation.

Hampton, 36, went 3-4 with a 4.85 ERA in 13 starts for the Braves this season, after missing nearly three years recovering from two elbow surgeries and other injuries.

He finally got healthy last summer and posted a 3.72 ERA with eight quality starts in his last nine games. The pitching-thin Braves hoped to re-sign him to an incentive-laden one-year contract.

Instead, Hampton opted for a slightly lesser deal with Houston that includes an opportunity to make about $2 million in additional incentives based on staying healthy and making starts, according to the two people familiar with the situation. He is going through a divorce and wanted to be closer to his children in Arizona.

4. University Blue

Has Berkman provided his opinions? :p

Seriously, I wonder what Biggio thinks about Houston re-signing MH.

5. msn

msn Member

"It's not even the Astros anymore."

6. superden

superden Member

Good to see we added another bat...every 5th start. Haha.

7. Crocketball Fan

2 million plus incentives for a fourth starter is pretty doggone good. Drayton loves to sign/re-sign fan favorites, and although Hampton pulled a Pettite on us years back, he's still popular with Dome era Astros fans. If he gets 12 quality starts in he's worth it from a cash and a publicity standpoint. His career is ending and he may be more willing to play through injuries.
    Truth be told, I'm not so pumped on him or the signing, but I can see a pretty big upside for minimal bucks. One truly better pitcher in front of him in the rotation and we'll have as good a starting pitching staff on opening day as we could hope for unless Houston was in NYC. Wolf was good last year but historically he doesn't look much better than Hampton and he's going to pull in some big bucks because of the pitching shortage and his better year last year.

Lastly, if Wade signs Paul Bako I'm going to throw my season schedule into the garbage- CF